“The best Italian in Siem Reap”
Review of Il Forno Siem Reap

Il Forno Siem Reap
Ranked #62 of 967 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We created Il Forno in 2011 after many years dreaming of opening a traditional Italian Restaurant outside Italy where we would serve authentic Italian food like our grandmothers used to cook. The only addition to our grandmother's kitchen was the building of an original stone brick fire wood oven from where to make pizzas according to the southern italian tradition. We pride to import every single ingredient ( veggie & fruits aside)on our menu directly from Italy and to make all our food home made and fresh daily. Our fantastic team of chefs/cooks start their day very early to prepare our pizza dough that need 10/12 hours before its naturally risen and to prepare home made tagliatelle, tortellini , gnocchi and so on , exactly like we used to in Italy half a century ago.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Fantastic Italian Fare in Cambodia. Well worth a second visit on the following day. A true taste of Milano in Cambodia. All main ingredients imported and wines excellent.

1  Thank Hemang1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We were looking forward to eating at il forno after reading all the great reviews. I think we would go back and try the pizza but the pasta I had was sooo salty I couldn't eat it. My husband had the twice cooked pork and it was average. It's a nice place in a cute little lane and the service was good. The owner recommended the tortellini with cream, bacon and mushies, I love salt but this was far too much.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were walking down the lane in search of somewhere for dinner and stumbled on Il Forno. The restaurant was quite busy which was a good sign and after Khmer food for a few days felt like something without rice.
What a great choice! All the staff were friendly and helpful, especially the manager Edward who helped us with our menu selection, and even gave me the recipe for one of the dishes.
We shared a zucchini carpaccio for entree which was devine. Then my husband had a salami pizza and I had one of the days specials - tagliatelle del duna. Ourwals were abs lovely. Have absolutely nothing negative to say. What a great find!

1  Thank wabeachbum
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

The food was pretty good appetizers were excellent! Decent wine selection. Good vegetarian selection. Not a bad location Although a little hot. Would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've had Cambodian and Lao food now for the past two weeks, with a few exceptions, and as much as food is SE Asia is incredibly good, and the street food very refined in taste, I realised that the reason I was craving EU food was that I hadn't had any pasta in 3 weeks. Like a cow cannot survive with grass, I can't without pasta. Its my favourite food. I have it every day. So I surrendered, searched my guide book, and went to Il Forno.

The restaurant is really cute. The service is very friendly, and swift. The prices are good, from very cheap for some options to medium/quite expensive for others. There is a good choice. I had the feeling the food would be excellent.

I started with Caprese. Creamy, milky Mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, and fresh, Italian green basil. A touch of olive oil and pepper, all in thin slices, served with warm, doughy bread. A perfect hit. And praise the lord, it wasn't drowned in vinegar, or served on a bed of sloppy, soggy generic lettuce. Small enough portion for a starter, but it felt hearty. The dish was elegantly arranged, the flavours bang on.

I then decided to have the Carbonara, and oh boy, they were perfect. The pasta was al dente, thick (presumably fresh, maybe even home made), and all round scrumptious. They were eggy and creamy to perfection, with just the right amount of parmesan to give it extra flavour and body, the salt balance was perfect, the pepper dosed to perfection. The bacon/pancetta was either crispy or tender. They were not heavied down with cream, milk, butter, peas, or steak, just the true original ingredients. They were simple, exquisitely well prepared, elegantly served. The portion was perfect. Not too much, and that is important, because with a dish like that, the portion needs to be perfect, but there was enough for a hungry boy like me, especially after having cycled the long way round Angkor in that heat! They brought the parmesan half way through. I usually love heaping the stuff on, but there, I felt like it was not necessary. And thats saying something.

I haven't tried the other dishes. Carbonara is a popular choice, they must have experience making them, so I think it is a safe choice. for $5.50 (or £3.50), considering the price of groceries in St Andrews, I couldn't make them cheaper at home. A seriously good deal, for a seriously good meal.

2  Thank Danteforcolombine