“Sok Cambodian Children's Sanctuary and tours of Angkor Wat = must see!!!!!”

Cambodia Monkey Tour Service
Ranked #301 of 836 Tours in Siem Reap
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Sok is a friendly and genuine host. The children are beautiful and welcome all visitors especially teachers or those willing to teach English. A truly heart warming experience which my partner and I will remember forever. Please help however you can.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

During the summer I arranged a trip to Cambodia to make volunteering work at Sok Orphanage and Sok Villa & School, and it was one of the best experiences in my life so far! I'm very thankful for meeting Mr.Sok and all the people that surrounds him in those places. I stayed there for about 6 weeks, and I've made great friends around there. Mr.Sok was always present and helpful, with his big, friendly smile, always ready for you. He is a man with golden heart, with a positive and great vision about Cambodia's future. Volunteering for him was one of the highest points in my life. The orphanage is a really welcoming place, full of youth, joy and love. The children there are really worth adult's attention and I had a great time with them during all these weeks. I will never forget them and I'm hoping to see them again, as well as Mr.Sok's unforgettable smile.

1  Thank fmiguelmartins
Reviewed January 14, 2014

On my way back to Australia, I decided to stopover in Siem Reap for a few days to catch my breath. I had found out about the orphanage via Trip Advisor and decided to drop in and say hello. I had few expectations as I'd never been to an orphanage before but wanted to gain a better understanding of how they are run and what they are like. From the moment I emailed Mr Sok, I was overwhelmed by his warm and loving nature. He encouraged me to visit and even collected me from my hotel. It was as if we were dear old friends who hadn't seen one another in a long time. Upon arriving at the orphanage a sea of little, smiling faces came running towards me. A few of the smaller kids immediately threw their arms around me for a hug. It was a little overwhelming at first but I smiled and hugged them back. The orphanage itself is as you might expect. Simple, functional and well worn. Sok didn't put any expectations on me to stay for any predetermined amount of time, nor did he expect me to do any specific activities. It was left to me to decide how I wanted to spend my time so I did a little english teaching (numbers, colors, days, months). Then I spent time playing with the kids. Running around with them. Letting the girls braid my hair or playing tunnel ball. I was invited to stay for dinner and they generously shared their food with me. Again, never putting a hand out for anything in return. I ended up returning the following day and then each day after that for the next 10 days. Each day, spending anywhere from 2-4hours spending time with the children. Initially I spent a little money at the local shops and took in plastic tennis rackets and balls and paper to fold origami with which was all received really well but in the end I realized that the one thing these kids don't get enough of, is affection and attention from adults. So in the end, I tried to just spend time with them instead of showering them with gifts. I can't rave enough about Mr Sok and how he opened his arms to me during my stay. I would recommend spending some time at the orphanage and the children if you have time. It was one of the most fulfilling experiences I've had in a long, long time and one that I will not forget in a hurry.

1  Thank Emily M
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I visited Sok orphanage in September 2013 for 3 weeks to spend time with the children and teach some of the village children. Meeting the wonderful Sok and the children has undoubtedly been the best experience of my life. They are all the most welcoming and memorable people. What Sok has achieved is amazing, he is so incredibly caring and the children so well looked after. He and this wonderful team are always grateful to have volunteers to the school. Sok relies on the income he gets for providing lodging to his volunteers (which is very nice) and also provides tours around Siem Reap to all the sights. What could be better than learning about the Cambodian culture from a real local. Really inspiring! It was a privilege to be able to spend time with these wonderful people I cannot recommend the experience of spending time with these wonderful people highly enough.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Sok guided my wife and me through the temple complex and the area surrounding Siem Reap. I echo all the reviewers who have given high praise to his tours. More importantly, Sok has an optimistic vision for Cambodia's future, and it is inspiring to see him in action. He has committed his life to raising and educating the young people of Cambodia, and "Sok's kids" and their peers will lead lives of steadily increasing opportunity as the country grows. A day with Sok is also a day of learning of the very real political and economic obstacles that his children face, bequeathed to them by historical violence -- and ongoing corruption.

Our visit to Siem Reap was far too short -- only 3 days -- but we hope to return in a few years, if we can. I know that Sok and his colleagues will accomplish much in that time.