“An excellent tour guide and caring man”

Cambodia Monkey Tour Service
Ranked #289 of 819 Tours in Siem Reap
Winchelsea, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“An excellent tour guide and caring man”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I contacted Mr Sok directly via email having read about the Sok Orphanage, which he runs. I booked him as my tour guide for 2 days to take me around the temples. I also visited the orphanage for 2 afternoons. Mr Sok is an excellent tour guide and he speaks great English. He is really knowledgeable and a very interesting man to talk to. He met me directly at my hotel (Royal Angkor Resort & Spa). I really enjoyed visiting the temples with him but be warned they are very busy with mainly Korean tourists. We did manage to avoid them at one of the temples, which was a real bonus! The orphanage he runs was an amazing experience and he is a really kind and caring man for the children. Prior to travelling I had contacted Singapore Airlines and asked for extra luggage allowance as I was taking presents out for the children, which they agreed to. I took out clothes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, book, pencils, pens etc. The children were so grateful for everything. When the children were given a present they all thanked me in person and the little ones gave me hugs - very touching. They are really happy children with good hearts. On my 2nd afternoon there all the children drew me a picture and wrote me a lovely note to accompany it. They all speak English and are really keen to learn more. The Sok Orphange is a genuine place and is run by a really kind man. Do book Mr Sok as your tour guide if you want a great experience, and want to help the orphanage. If you can do try and take out a present for the children - they will really appreciate it. You are under no obligation to visit the orphanage but I really would recommend it.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank julierichard

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great service ! Great person”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went on a one day tour with sok with a friend and sok was very accomodating and flexible with our request on whatever we wanted to do , spent the day exploring the many ruins and beautiful sights round the place , Mr sok is a very nice and friendly person to talk to throughout the tour sharing with us his thoughts and views on current situations happening in the country . He`s also runs a orphange helping children to provide education for them , good cause . Reccomended ~ james chen

Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Genuine Experience”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Firstly, I would lke to point out that the "Sok Orphanage Tour" is not a tour of an orphange. Sok, who is as amazing a man as everyone has stated, runs a solo operation taking tourists around the temples of Angkor Wat to help raise money for the orphange. There is then the chance to visit the orphange, after the children have finished with school.

In no way is this operation exploitative. Upon arrival a young girl practically climbed my leg and would not let go. These kids are getting as much out of this as you, the visitor, are.

We have all heard the stories of child "zoos" disguised as orphanges, and it breaks my heart. If you are looking to have an experince along these lines DO YOUR RESEARCH, however I can confirm without a shadow of a doubt that Mr Sok and his team are saints and that the tour of the temples and a chance to spend some time with these most remarkable children is not to be turned down.

I understand the concerns of the previous post entitled "zoo". But universally condeming all orphanages in Cambodia as money spinning cons, you will damage and endanger the geuine and hard working ones. Unless you have had a firs hand experience, please do not comment. It does far more bad than good.

Do your research.

God bless Sok and his children.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Ben M
Singapore
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Sok.. a true angel & incredible tour guide.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am not sure where to start to be honest.. Sok is an AMAZING tour guide with so much knowledge on everything that you cant ask for a better person to walk you around incredible Siem Reap. He really did make the trip for us with his endless smiles & attention to making sure we were always ok.
Then there is his orphanage.. or rather his sanctuary for the children.. there is no end to this mans love & dedication to make sure the children have everything he may not have had the blessings to have from day one.. We spent Christmas day here surrounded by happy smiling children with such great english & such beautiful energy you know for certain that he is doing the very best that one man can do for them but he needs help.. If you are thinking of coming to see the children & help them with interaction with english etc which they love .. please consider trying to help in other ways also as we did.. you are truly helping out one man battling against the odds & helping them to have a better life.. Many orphanages exploit for sure.. this one I can assure all is not doing that in any way & if you have any questions then please do not hesitate to email as I am very happy to answer all that I can if it will help them. A wonderful humbling 3 days all thank you to Sok... I cannot thank him enough for everything & the children too for making our christmas just so incredibly special.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank EvieSingapore
Darwin, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“The highlight of our very short visit to Siem Reap”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Knowing the history of Cambodia and the fact that this country is still one of the poorest in S/E Asia it was a must for me and my partner and children to make even a small contribution to a reputable Orphanage in Siem Reap. This is a poor district and the Orphange runs on whatever funds individuals are able to contribute as all NGO's are basically left destitute by a corrupt Khmer government.

Human trafficking continues to be a major battle for the poorest of nations in this part of the world and Mr Sok is making a significant contribution to a brighter future for Cambodia's children via his Orphanage. He and his dedicated staff have 30+ children in their care (always wanting to take more in but without the means) and do an amazing job considering the hardships that the staff and children have faced in their owns lives.

The obvious joy and excitement the children express upon visiting this orphanage is testimony to the fact that there is clearly abundant love and attention lavished on all the children. I was initially very overwhelmed and a bit emotional by the attention and affection shown by all the children upon our arrival but relaxed as soon as my hand was taken by the younger girls to give the guided tour of their room and the facilities at the centre. Then it was all play time and fun!

The living conditions are basic and quite crowded but a more important fact is that all the children have energy and enthusiasm to learn and play. Our two boys (aged 5 and 8 year) played non stop for the few hours we had to spare at the centre. We also enjoyed a traditional Khmer meal for our dinner which was more than generous of Mr Sok and the staff at the centre. When it was time to leave my eldest son expressed his desire to stay and it was clearly one of his most memorable experiences of this trip we made to Cambodia.

It is also important for me as a parent to allow my own children to see the universal needs of children from different cultures and how happy children can be with just the basics of life. These children very much enriched the lives of my own children in ways that they will take with them for the rest of their lives. Every child deserves to have their basic human rights attended to and this part of the world has more than enough needy children to care for.

There are so many different Orphanages in this part of the country and I have every confidence that Mr Sok is 100% committed to the longer term future for his country via this essential work. There is no doubt in my mind that a visit with a donation to this centre will make a difference to the lives of children in the care of Mr Sok and his adoring staff. Please consider emailing well in advance and also the possibility of engaging Mr Sok or one of his staff as your tour guide of Angkor Wat and surrounds. I have no doubt that the tours run by this lovely man would be more than informative and knowing that he channels the extra funds into the Orphange is worth every cent.

HIGHLY recommended visit for those of you traveling with a conscience and wanting to make a difference

Visited November 2012