“The highlight of our very short visit to Siem Reap”

Cambodia Monkey Tour Service
Ranked #288 of 880 Tours in Siem Reap
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Knowing the history of Cambodia and the fact that this country is still one of the poorest in S/E Asia it was a must for me and my partner and children to make even a small contribution to a reputable Orphanage in Siem Reap. This is a poor district and the Orphange runs on whatever funds individuals are able to contribute as all NGO's are basically left destitute by a corrupt Khmer government.

Human trafficking continues to be a major battle for the poorest of nations in this part of the world and Mr Sok is making a significant contribution to a brighter future for Cambodia's children via his Orphanage. He and his dedicated staff have 30+ children in their care (always wanting to take more in but without the means) and do an amazing job considering the hardships that the staff and children have faced in their owns lives.

The obvious joy and excitement the children express upon visiting this orphanage is testimony to the fact that there is clearly abundant love and attention lavished on all the children. I was initially very overwhelmed and a bit emotional by the attention and affection shown by all the children upon our arrival but relaxed as soon as my hand was taken by the younger girls to give the guided tour of their room and the facilities at the centre. Then it was all play time and fun!

The living conditions are basic and quite crowded but a more important fact is that all the children have energy and enthusiasm to learn and play. Our two boys (aged 5 and 8 year) played non stop for the few hours we had to spare at the centre. We also enjoyed a traditional Khmer meal for our dinner which was more than generous of Mr Sok and the staff at the centre. When it was time to leave my eldest son expressed his desire to stay and it was clearly one of his most memorable experiences of this trip we made to Cambodia.

It is also important for me as a parent to allow my own children to see the universal needs of children from different cultures and how happy children can be with just the basics of life. These children very much enriched the lives of my own children in ways that they will take with them for the rest of their lives. Every child deserves to have their basic human rights attended to and this part of the world has more than enough needy children to care for.

There are so many different Orphanages in this part of the country and I have every confidence that Mr Sok is 100% committed to the longer term future for his country via this essential work. There is no doubt in my mind that a visit with a donation to this centre will make a difference to the lives of children in the care of Mr Sok and his adoring staff. Please consider emailing well in advance and also the possibility of engaging Mr Sok or one of his staff as your tour guide of Angkor Wat and surrounds. I have no doubt that the tours run by this lovely man would be more than informative and knowing that he channels the extra funds into the Orphange is worth every cent.

HIGHLY recommended visit for those of you traveling with a conscience and wanting to make a difference

2  Thank Rebecca0871

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Sok orphanage is an amazing place! We went for a few hours one Friday afternoon. Mr Sok kindly offered to pick us up for no charge from our hotel. It's honestly the best thing we have done throughout our whole trip. There are around 35 children who live In the orphanage and every single one of them is just adorable! We brought them some sweets and biscuits, they all politely took some and they all were so grateful for that. We spent around 3 or 4 hours playing with them, we were absolutely sweating in 30+ heat running around with kids on our shoulders! We all had so much fun together. It's a lovely feeling knowing we enriched their lives as they enriched ours. I asked the kids to draw some pictures for me in my journal, they did and they all signed their names. We were invited to share dinner with them all which was very kind. Mr Sok should be very proud of himself for the love and effort he puts in to caring for the children! What an amazing man! Overall, we had an incredible few hours, truly inspirational and the children will forever be in our hearts.
Lauren & Chris

1  Thank Lauren_whiff
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I really enjoyed this tour. Mr Sok is the nicest guy and really knows his stuff when it comes to the history about the temples.
The best thing about this tour is that the money goes directly to the orphanage that mr Sok runs not to a large organisation. The money goes directly to feeding the children and providing them an education.
All that aside through the actual tour is great because you are in an air conditioned car to get you around which I can tell you is amazing seeing as it gets very very hot in Siem reap. Also Mr Sok provides plenty of cold drinks that is much needed.
Really worth while and the money goes to an amazing cause.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I had a great time with all the kids at Sok orphange. We taught them English and songs which they are all so eager and willing to learn. The time spent with them was a great experiece

1  Thank Magpieman4361
See more reviews
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We had our reservations about visiting an orphanage on our travels but after giving it some thought we decided to go ahead.. and we were definitely glad we did. We joined in on the kids afternoon playtime and our time was spent getting our hair braided, nails painted, playing soccer and volleyball and chilling out with the kids from Soks orphanage. It was without a doubt the warmest most joyful day we had on our trip. The way Mr Sok treats the children is inspiring, he is loving and respectful and the children (and the dogs!) adore him. We were always made to feel welcome there. It was a real privilege and honour to have met Mr Sok and all his children. We will definitely go back and visit our friends one day.