“Children running the restaurant”
Review of Green Star ( Not for Profit ) - CLOSED

Green Star ( Not for Profit )
Cuisines: Cambodian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located close to town in a quiet side street, Green Star Restaurant offers authentic Khmer meals at local prices.Hygienic, MSG free and western-belly friendly, the Green Star menu includes a range of tasty and affordable Khmer dishes, with Anchor beer sold by the jug. Eat with the locals,Expats & travellers, away from the tourist strip. 100% of the profits support former street beggar kids through the Green Gecko Project.
“Children running the restaurant”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We just ate at Green Star and we are very disapointed with the experience:

- First of all we were very surprised to see only kids running the place. All the staff we saw were less than 18 years old. We even asked to one of them and he confirmed it. We don't think that matches with the values of an NGO.

- The food wasn't good. The frog was very dry and the eel in the hot pot didn't taste at all. Maybe it was our fault for bering too adventurous. The kernel was good thought.

- The music was very loud. It felt more like a teenagers bar than a restaurant.

The only positive thing about this place is that the kids (and we don't think kids should be working specially for an NGO) were super nice and gave and excellent service.

And by the way, the owners weren't there tonight. Otherwise we would have explained them our concern.

I think there are many other restaurants in Siem Reap that support good causes and you should try before this place like Haven or Joe to go to give a couple of examples.

Dodgy49, Owner at Green Star ( Not for Profit ), responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear ViquiSanti, We are sorry you did not enjoy your experience at Green Star. Clearly your view was sufficiently strong such that it elicited your very first review on Tripadvisor. Perhaps I can take the opportunity to comment on the points you raised.

It's most important you understand that children, as opposed to your comment, do not run Green Star but rather Avee & myself do with the assistance of permanent staff members.

Normally 3 of the older Gecko kids (1 x 18 yrs, 2 x 18 in March) work at the restaurant Friday/Saturday evenings (only) as they have school the rest of the week. Their working with us was at their request so that they might earn some pocket money ..... a concept not unusual, & practiced by young people all over the world. That they are under the care of an NGO should not exclude them from enjoying the opportunities that are offered to their peers in Cambodia & world wide. Similarly, it introduces them to the values/ethos of work, which hopefully assist them in the future.

Green Star is not an NGO or NGO owned Restaurant. It was established with my own private funds & exists purely to support Green Gecko. Adults were in attendance on the evening you were there & were responsible for the restaurant. But as you correctly state, Avee & I were not.

I work as a volunteer each & every day at Green Gecko, & I am at the restaurant almost every evening, as is Avee. You might appreciate they are very full days from morning to late evening. I'm sorry we were not there to receive your complaints on January 26 but it was Australia Day (I'm an Aussie) & we took a very rare night off to celebrate this special day for me & in particular, with a close friend who was recognised by the Australian Govt. with Australia Day Honours. Whilst I understand patrons have an expectation to meet Avee & I, there is always going to be circumstances from time to time that preclude our being there due to both personal reasons & official NGO business.

On inquiry, I understand some Australian customers did, at one point ask for the music to be turned up in line with their 'party' mood, being Australia day. I apologise if it was turned up perhaps a little too high without due consideration to other diners.

There is little I can say to your view on our food. Certainly, your view appears to be a direct contradiction to the greater majority of our reviewers. However, we recognise & accept that the nature of the restaurant/food industry is such that taste is subjective & at the mercy of personal preferences. Our food was clearly not to your personal taste.

Notwithstanding your experience at Green Star, & assuming you are a traveller, I hope your Cambodian experience overall was a good one

Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Best meal we have had in Cambodia so far”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Recommend it to anyone, only a short distance from the main tourist strip which makes it a lot more peaceful. Had the delicious corn entree followed by the grilled beef which was so fresh and the yellow chicken curry which was beautiful. $12 with drinks included. Staff were fantastic. Great cause and a must in siem reap.

• Visited January 2013
Thanks Maddy for your comments. Avee & I are so pleased you found your visit to Green Star a pleasurable one
Princeton, New Jersey
“Best food in Cambodia”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hands down had a delcicious cambodian feast for only 16 us dollars! It was robbery! Great food! The only bad part was the mosquitoes outside but I do not think that's the restaurant's fault.

Visited July 2012
'Best food in Cambodia' well guys I don't think there is much we can say other than thank you so much for your comments & that we are happy to know you enjoyed our offerings. Take care, Doug & Avee
alameda
“Good value”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Went here because of their mission. Good food and good prices altough I think I got sick from the salad. I guess they don't iodinize their veggies.
Very nice wait staff

Visited January 2013
Dodgy49, Owner at Green Star ( Not for Profit ), responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your support & comments about value & food.

We would be most disturbed & disappointed if it was our salad, or any of our food, that made you unwell. We pride ourselves in being 'western belly friendly'. I hope the source of your being unwell came from elsewhere. We certainly have not had any reports of other incidents but be assured we will continue to be vigilant.

Take care, Doug & Avee
Perth, Australia
“Great food”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We ate here 2 out of our 4 nights in Siem Reap.
Very tasty authentic food, prices are ridiculously cheap and the atmosphere was great.
It was very busy so try and book a table or get there early if you can.

• Visited December 2012
So, you ate at green Star 2 of the 4 evening you were in Siem reap. Well thank you guys, that's a reassuring testament to our food & our efforts to ensure our followers have an enjoyable experience .....and at a reasonable, or as you suggest, cheap price.

Thanks for your support, & by default, the support of the Green Gecko Kids. All our best, Doug & Avee