“A Hidden Gem”

Ranked #10 of 488 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Waking up to distant pagoda chants, enjoying a wonderful breakfast on a balcony with a view, taking in the warmth and hospitality of hotel staff...

I met my backpacking friends at Bloom Garden for a long-weekend getaway from Manila, and could not have asked for a more peaceful, yet fun, experience in Siem Reap. They thoughtfully arranged airport pickup (complementary) and other activities we were interested in, including tours of the temples, cooking classes, etc.

Our tuk tuk driver, Ren, was truly amazing! Per our request, he drove us to the less traveled temples with breathtaking views of Angkor Wat; arranged a beautiful day trip to the floating villages, stopping along the way for us to take photos; and saw me off to the airport with cold beer, fried crickets and a company of friends! Ren and I also managed to squeeze in a free 2-hour cello performance by the local Swiss doctor Beat Richner, who operates several free children's clinics throughout Cambodia. If you have a few hours to spare, ask Ren to take you to the Saturday performance in the city... it's a pleasant break from the physical activities.

All in all, I recommend this place 100%! In fact, I have already arranged for a room for my father's visit there next month, not to mention a special request for Ren to be his tuk tuk driver.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diana M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Despite not being an hotel, the Bloom Garden is a beautiful colonial mansion set in a gorgeous well maintained garden, staffed by attentive and incredibly good humoured people.. We stayed for a week and absolutely loved the place. It is peaceful, relaxed and elegant, true hospitality. It is also on the way to the Angkhor temples, but only 7 minutes from The centre of town by tuk tuk.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Bloom Garden was a wonderful, relaxing and super hospitable getaway from the otherwise super-touristy hustle and bustle of Siem Reap. It was also conveniently located very close to Angkor Wat and offered free bikes, so I used it as a fantastic home base for biking to and through Angkor Wat (bought a 7 day pass and went 6 days in a row!).

My usual routine was to eat my free breakfast at Bloom Garden, grab one of the free bottles of water from my room that was replaced daily, borrow a book from their fantastic lending library, hop on a free bike and bike to one of the temples in the Angkor Wat complex and spend the day there, reading a great book in a majestic, 1000-year old temple.

I stayed for 7 days total during off season, which meant that for the first 4-5 days I was the only guest at the hostel so some things weren't available but some things were a lot easier!

ACCOMMODATION

I had the corner room on the second floor that a previous reviewer complained about and found it wonderful. It was cleaned daily, with a new mosquito net, a refrigerator, a super fast and convenient hot water heater, a DVD player and a TV with satellite reception (so you could watch HK or Taiwanese dramas - but they also have a great DVD collection downstairs so I ended up borrowing extensively from that), effective air conditioning and 2 free bottles of water that get replaced daily. All the furniture is beautiful, sturdy stained wood (teak?) and looks extremely beautiful and luxurious.

I slept extremely well every night, and borrowed extensively from their current, well curated DVD collection (including Cambodia-specific educational films like S-21, The Killing Fields, etc. as well as other fun films, including Bollywood ones, Woody Allen films, vacation films like Eat Pray Love, etc.). They also have a great book library you can borrow from - including classics like Pride & Prejudice and fun books like The Hundred Foot Journey (a book about an Indian chef in France)....- and which I used extensively.

Food at the guesthouse is great so you can definitely eat in (I had the "shaking beef" luk lak one night and it was great). You also get breakfast every day included in the accommodation fee, which includes toast, tomatoes, your choice of 2 eggs, any style, 2 types of fresh fruit and your choice of tea or coffee. I ate breakfast daily on the second floor balcony, overlooking the driveway, and listening to the sounds of birds...it was great. I also have to say, I love poached eggs and had they nearly every day - the eggs were perfectly poached every time, which is no small feat!!!

STAFF

Staff are super nice and responsive. A tuk tuk driver picks you up for free from the airport/bus/whatever and then drops you off at Bloom, where you are welcomed with a very refreshing lemon tea and given a free kroma (a traditional Cambodian, cotton red and white checked scarf).

There are of course mosquitos (especially given the garden part!), but the staff were super responsive when I freaked out a bit and gave me some mosquito-repelling incense to light in my room as well as an electronic mosquito swatter for killing the little buggers.

They were also responsive to any questions I had regarding locations, directions, restaurant recommendations...

Also, upon hearing that I was traveling alone, Diana - the owner - invited me to dinner with her and her husband the first night to chat! It was wonderful meeting them and hearing about her experience running a social enterprise business in Cambodia, living as expats in the Kingdom, etc. I got the chance to meet up with Diana several other times, including for a fantastic, cheap local all you can eat Cambodian barbecue for only $5 per person! She also had several great restaurant recommendations.

They always have tuk tuk drivers on hand ready to take you around the Angkor Wat complex at reasonable, average rates (I think it was $15 for the small loop, $20 for the larger loop, $25 for the larger loop and Banteay Srei and then $30 for Banteay Srei and then the River of a Thousand Lingas - the tuk tuk driver Roth took me on all these trips, and even hiked with me on the path to the top of the River of a Thousand Lingas, which was great since I was traveling alone and didn't know the area and didn't want to get lost and he used to come here all the time when he was young! But the tuk tuk drivers aren't guides, and you will have to pay extra (approx. $20 a day) for guides, depending on where you want to go....

Of course you can bargain for cheaper, especially during low season (I met one Korean guy who bargained with a tuk tuk driver for $20 to go to sunrise (an extra $5 at Bloom Garden), the large loop, Bantay Srei and the nearby lake!!!). But then you don't know what kind of tuk tuk driver you are getting - one of my other girl friends traveling alone had a tuk tuk driver threaten to drop her off in the middle of the nowhere if she didn't pay more than the price that they agreed on (she insisted that she was only going to pay the agreed price and he would take it if he wanted her to use him again, which of course she wasn't going to do but it did the trick...). I wouldn't recommend it for a girl traveling alone, so I was glad to have Bloom Garden arrange it for me - there's an extra, built in layer of safety since the tuk tuk drivers are all known and trusted by Bloom staff and super reliable.

LOCATION

Bloom Garden is located about a 15-20 minute bike ride from the traditional Old Market tourist area in Siem Reap (or a $2 tuk tuk ride one way, $3 round trip), which makes for the peaceful atmosphere (there are few other guesthouses in the area), a more local experience (on the first side street on the left handside of the main street as you are biking into town is a row of FANTASTIC local restaurants where you can eat real Cambodian food like a Cambodian for cheap. This means no English menus, no English speaking staff but amazing curry noodles for only $1.25 USD, traditional Cambodian breakfast noodles for only $0.75, etc....Roth the tuk tuk driver told me about these places (I went to the one that was particularly crowded, probably the 2nd or 3rd on the right hand side of the street) and they are great! I usually would go in, look to see what other people were eating and then point to one dish that I wanted to try, haha...

Touich, likely the best resto in Siem Reap, is also close, within 10 minute biking distance.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Its a place for true relaxation and getaway. Staff at the guesthouse are very patient and friendly as such we always feel at home at all times.

Owner sets up the guesthouse to support employment for the Cambodian and for this reason, its worth supporting them again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was greeted warmly by Rathy when I arrived in the afternoon and he made the effort of introducing me the places to visit around Siem Reap. They always have tuk-tuk drivers on stand-by so you don't have to hail one on the streets. The guesthouse is really comfortable and homely and the staffs are really friendly. They provide bicycles for you to bike around the city too! It's the best way to know your way around. I love how hospitable they are and I would definitely visit the place again if I go back to Siem Reap. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Port Douglas
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is the perfect place to relax and experience peace and serenity after busy days checking out all that Angkor Wat has to offer. We booked for only 3 nights and ended up staying for a week. From the moment we arrived we felt at home and cared for - a free tuktuk from the bus station, a well appointed clean room, delicious daily breakfast on the terrace or in the garden, free DVDs and books available and the charm and kindness of the staff (especially Rathy and Kagna) - means that this will be where we stay if ever we return Siem Reap. Take advantage of the free bikes - we enjoyed the 10 minute bike ride along the river to the hustle and bustle, markets, and cheap cafes of central Siem Reap.
An absolute must too is the free Beatocello concert on Saturday night at the children's hospital across the road - inspirational and moving, as well as educational.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2012

If you are trekking to Cambodia to check out the mystical ruins of Angkor Wat, the Bloom GArden Guesthouse is an absolute must! Even if it weren't for the gorgeous colonial mansion completely made out of teak and the romantic mosquito net cover bed, this place would still be on my "must-stay" places, simply because of the people that work there. The hotel's manager, Diana, made an effort to welcome us personally and showed us around the town. She, and her fabulous staff (especially her tuktuk drivers) were more than accommodating. You will absolutely enjoy your stay!! Have fun and make sure to buy her custom bags!!! They are fabulous :)

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely!