“Fabulous home away from home boutique hotel”

The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort
Ranked #184 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Paris, France
“Fabulous home away from home boutique hotel”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

The hotel is a big villa exquisitely decorated in cambodian art deco style , located very wisely away from the bustle of the city while being within an easy tuk tuk ride from everything.
We stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment , everything as advertised, nicely done ,good bedding,ample space,good bathroom ,only drawback could hear the adjoining room TV.
Breakfast was OK, We had dinner and a dance show one night at their Fou Nan restaurant right across because it was pouring, they accommodated us at the last minute it was very entertaining and authentic.
We were treated with warmth and extreme hospitality by the French owners, a father and son team .they went out of their way to reserve the best table, to share with us their shopping insights, to organize out of the beaten path excursions. Never before have I experienced such generosity of spirit by an hotelier and a French one at that!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank eisette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We spent 3 days in Siem Reap, and 2 nights at the SAMAR Villa. The Villa is well-kept and very comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The Villa is located between Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, far enough out from town that you should plan on hiring a tuk tuk to get around. The benefit is that the location is in a quiet area, and closer to Angkor Wat and other temple sites. It's very easy to hire a tuk tuk driver for the day -- the hotel staff can arrange this for you. We had a wonderful stay, and would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Junior Suite on the ground floor, near the Villa entrance -- it was very nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Audra B
London
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Small hotel with 8 or 9 rooms, will not have to worry about children getting lost, once you have walked around the swimming pool, you would have walked once around the hotel except for the reception/eating area. The staff quite friendly and smiley. The hotel is away from town. We stayed for 7 nights, chose this hotel mainly because of the family friendly apartment configuration - 2 rooms connected by a sitting room.

Transportation -

transfer from airport USD15 each way; hire of tuk tuk USD20/ day. Tuk tuk in the evening USD10 (even if it is a drop off and pick up at a pre determined time). We asked about the complimentary transfer to town mentioned on the website, staff told us just to hire a tuk tuk.

we were picked up efficiently at the airport, the van that picked us up was a bit tired, it didn't start for 5 - 10 minutes whilst we sat in the heat in the carpark, the driver took a spanner and kept banging something in the trunk, presumably the battery.

the tuk tuk driver was very helpful and effiecient, never late for a pick up

Rooms - the master bedroom was the width of a bed plus a bedside stand on each side, the length was about 2 beds put end to end. The other bedroom is about the same size. The wardrobe door doesn't really close, be careful you don't walk into the door in the middle of the night.

Bathroom -

the master bathroom is large and has plenty of space. The other bathroom is a good size as well.

my husband had an electric shock from the lights around the basin (doesn't appear to be grounded). He told the receptionist, who said, "you mean zzzzzttt?", he told her yes and she just smiled as if it was normal. It remained like that for the rest of our stay. The shower floor was not slanted for drainage, so during/after a shower, the water will flood 2/3 way to the door in the master bathroom.

Pool -

good size, plenty of deck chairs, always space available.

cons - the last 2 steps down to the pool is covered in green algae, so extremely slippery. The tiles starting to pop off in the pool. We used the beach towels to cover the deck chairs, afterwards, we saw the attendant just rolled them up and put back on the shelf for next person's use, sweat, suncream and all.

Breakfast -

juice - available but not fresh, for the first couple of days, we were told "run out", after that, "chef didn't order it today", after about 5 days, "chef doesn't order it". We gave up and asked for water, which the waiter tried to charge us for and eventually took off the bill.

fruit - nicely presented, about 5 slices on the plate ; yoghurt ; bread - you get croissant, pain au chocolate, couple slices of toast and couple of rolls, pineapple & mango jam; cooked breakfast - bacon, sausages and eggs. I asked for soft boiled eggs each day and had a perfect egg once, otherwise, it ranged from almost raw to very hard boiled.

on the last day, we had limited time for breakfast, told the staff, but no food at all arrived for 20 minutes.

Lunch - sandwiches and burgers were good and freshly prepared, choice of 3 set menus ($16) was good, but didn't change at all during our stay. The chicken with coconut best avoided (grilled chicken with a pasty coconut sauce poured over it with large amount of garlic pieces).

asked for local water (different price and fewer food miles), and was told "run out". Presented with "mineral water", which came in a bottle saying filtered in Siem Reap.

Dinner - Fou Nan just across the road, very convenient, the food was good and fresh. It seems very popular with tour groups, saw buses parked in front almost every night. Bear that in mind as it could be a long wait for your food whilst the kitchen deals with serving 30 people set menus.

Spa -

consists of 2 treatment rooms, one single and one double. treatments available in the afternoon and evening.

Timekeeping not perfect with the therapists, one time was told she will be available at 5, but didn't arrive until 6.30. Another time arrived 15mins late. They seem to request them externally, arrive on a moped and put on a staff shirt.

The treatment rooms is not air conditioned, so it can get a bit hot. The larger one had 2 treatment beds, one of which remained unmade whilst I had my treatment, there is a very large bath tub which looks inviting, but when I looked into it, it had all sorts of debris and salt residue in it and reamined like that during my subsequent visit.

Massage - traditional was good, with a choice of oils. Khmer massage - therapist couldn't find the clothing required for this, had to run up to my room to get a T Shirt, did not enjoy the skin contact with someone's foot on my bare skin.

Pedicure - booked for 1 hour but treated to an express service (only charged for express service), choice of clear, white or pink polish, no other colours, just cut and paint, no exfoliation.

Relaxing foot bath & juice refreshment - mentioned on the spa menu, but was never offered either one

Local Knowledge -

there is a useful book compiled by management and available at reception, mainly in French.

Museum - given 4 adult tickets by reception, the museum refused to accept the adult ticket for my older child (children ticket 1/2 price) and did not charge at all for the younger child. So had to go back to hotel and ask to return 2 tickets. Felt that it was a case of overselling.

Angkor - asked what ticket was required for children, told that tickets were determined by height not age. Turns out that children under 12 are not charged, so if your child is tall do bring copy of the passport.

Location-

off the beaten track, not within walking distance of anything else. Located within a local village. During our time there, there was a commemoration and some kind of celebration. Whilst we appreciate there is nothing hotels can do about local customs, the bottom line is we couldn't sleep. The very loud music/chanting was broadcasted over a crackling loudspeaker by the neighbours. It started at 6am (yes, AM) and lasted continuously until 11pm. We experienced this for 3 consecutive days.

Room Tip: The walls are thin, we could hear the TV, clicking on off of light switches, showers.... of the next...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank JJ54321
chris2812, Owner at The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2015
我们觉得你的评论很不公平。你在萨马别墅时只投诉那间两张单人床的房间有难闻的气味而没有关于昆虫的问题。以下是事实的真相,我们就让读者来平平理。

在当你从寺庙回来的晚上,你也同意房间没有难闻的气味,这点就是事实。

对于热水的问题,我门感到非常抱歉,你确实遇到了用热水的问题。大概在夜晚十点四十五分, 你向招待员汇报这个问题。
我们立刻把我们住在200米外的技术员叫来,他发现是因为电热水器的电压降中断, 但是这个问题在少过30分钟就解决了, 而不是你所说的很长的时间。
柬埔寨一直没有稳定的电力所以才会造成了这个问题。

至于昆虫的问题, 我们每个星期都会烟虫两次。房间如果有昆虫的话,想问你们是否晚上坐在阳台而没 把门关了?因为晚上时,昆虫是会向亮灯的地方飞去。如果房间的的灯是亮着的,门或窗没关或关好昆虫一定会进去。我们已营业了4年,从来没有人投诉过床上有昆虫的问题,而你在我们这时也没投诉过昆虫的问题。

在你离开的时候,你向我们的前台说你将在网上们发布一个非常不好的评论。

我们想让所有的到到网和旅行顾问的读者知道, 我们大多数客户都很感激和满意萨马别墅的服务。不管是什么国人,我们都会全心全意给最好的服务。

We think that review is very unfair.

When you were at Samar, your only complaint is about bad smell in the Twin Room and not about bugs.

Below is the fact that happened and we will let the readers to judge for themselves.

Before arriving at Samar, you called to check whether we can change your reservation of a Twin Room and a Double Room to 2 Double Rooms.

At that time, only our Deluxe Samar Villas is available and will cost additional room rate which you refused.

The next morning, you came to the reception to complain that the Twin Rooms has a smell and request to change to the Samar Villa for a free upgrade which we refused.

Our cleaner lady check the Twin Room and there was no bad smell, regardless, she put an aroma burner for the Twin Room.

When you came back from the temples, you did agree that there is no bad smell from the room which is a fact.

As for the water issue, we do apologize, you in facet did face the hot water issue. Around 10;45pm, you report this problem to the receptionist.

We immediately contact our technician who live 200 meters from the hotel.
He found problem with the water heater voltage that was interrupted.
This was fixed in less than 30 minutes and not the long time that you said. Cambodia does not have a steady electricity voltage and that caused this problem.

As for the bugs, we fume our hotel 2 times a week. If there is any bugs in your rooms, we asked whether you were sitting in the balcony without closing the door?

At night, rooms lights attract insect and they will fly in if your door or window is not close. Samar have been in full operation for over 4 years and there was never a complaint of bugs in the room. When you were here, you did not make any complain regarding the bugs.

Before you leave, you let our reception knew that you are going to write a very bad review.

We want to let all DaoDao and Tripadvisor reader knew, majority of our customers appreciate and is happy with the service of Samar Villas.

Regardless of your nationality, we always give our heart and best service.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We just returned home from a wedding week in Siem reap having spent three nights in the SAMAR villa and cannot speak highly enough of it. After the hustle and bustle of the temples and the wedding celebrations it was great to be able to escape to some peace and quiet. The hotel itself is in a very secluded area which some tuk tuk drivers mightn't know but its only 10 mins out of town and if you keep a card of the hotel details on you and show it to them they'll know where to go. i can honestly say that everything about this hotel was perfect. the room was beautiful and the staff were always bending over backwards to help us book us temple tours, taxis and massages. A special mention for the incredible food-had a 10$ lunch main which was honestly one of the best meals ive had in a long time! we only wished we could have stayed longer. highly recommended for couples looking for some romance away from the main strip in Siem reap

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikeh932
valley village, ca
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Im so sad to have had a semi-negative experience at this lovely hotel. I booked my entire trip to SE Asia through a tour company and they originally were hesitant to book me in a hotel that they hadn't yet stayed in. After seeing trip advisor reviews, I insisted I wanted to stay at Samar Villages so they set me up there. I would expect INCREDIBLE service since this tour company books a lot of rooms in Siem Reap and is rated #1 by Conde Naste Travel. It was a chance for them to get a good "in"... Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out like that. The hotel is gorgeous and feels very secluded. However, it is farther from town than I'd like and definitely was hard getting the tuk-tuk drivers to figure out where it is. The welcome drink and staff are incredible and very friendly. Upon arrival (after hours of flying), we were told our room wasn't ready and we would be put in a different room for 1 night. Then, since we'd be gone all day, they would, "Move our stuff down to the new room the following day for us." Now, after 2 weeks of traveling, I don't WANT to have to unpack and re-pack my stuff after 1 night to switch rooms because YOU over booked the hotel. And I certainly don't want someone entering my room and moving all my belongings for me. I know situations arise with bookings, but they should have contacted our tour company to tell them that we would be in a different room before we arrived.
We decided to go with the flow and not make a big deal out of it. We spent the first night in the upstairs room they put us in and hoped for the best. However, the next morning, i was surprised when the french hotel owner (I knew he was the owner because tripadvisor reviews saying the french owner is so nice) saw us seated at breakfast and gave a curt "hi" as he walked over to the other french speaking guests seated next to us. I said, "good morning!..." and smiled but he seemed uninterested. Then, since me and 1 other guest had internet connection problems, I brought it up to him. He was very insistent that it worked fine and made me feel really uncomfortable for expecting him to...care? All in all, my husband and I didn't feel welcomed by him and most certainly didn't want to give him 4 nights worth of our money. We asked our tour company to try to handle it... Not even going to say how rude he was to them. Anyway, we escaped to Hotel de la Paix for only $100 more/night. It was 1000 times better, closer to town, seemed to LOVE having us as guests, and made our trip perfect. Im sorry Samar Villas, I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you blew it.

Room Tip: Didnt like the upstairs "apartment" they put us in... bedroom small and insanely loud the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank rachellebrandon
cp2812, Propriétaire at The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Madam,

I read your review on Trip Advisor, I am sorry that you had a semi-negative experience at The Samar Villas. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences encountered during your stay with us.

I'm glad you found that our house has charm.

Our staff made a mistake on the morning of your arrival by accepting an extension of stay by two junior-suites, and she thought it would be OK to give the family apartment of 92 m2 Henri Mouhot with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a living room in the middle to you instead. Unfortunately she was very wrong.

This apartment meets all the needs of a family but I can fully understand that this does not meet the expectations of a couple on holiday.

In the situation of a wedding or funeral where loud music is played very loudly (which is a custom for Cambodia), sadly we have no authority to ask them to lower the volume. I hope that the customer can understand that this is a traditional situation which is out of our control and it is a nightmare for all hoteliers in the area as well.

For the internet problem, I am sorry you had this experience but I believe you met a relative in the dining room and he should have referred you to the front desk which handles problems like this.

I am glad to hear that your stay at the Hotel de la Paix met your expectations.

The Hotel de la Paix is a very nice house, very beautiful architecture but our concepts are totally different.

• The Samar Villas is charming and quiet boutique hotel with 2 villas, 1 family apartment and 5 junior-suites,

The location of Samar Villas at 800 meters from the door of the temple only 6 mins from Angkor Wat by car – 800 meters from noisy town so it is quiet and serene,

• The beautiful Hotel de la Paix : 107 beautifully appointed rooms and suites is located in the heart of the bustling town of Siem Reap, at the crossroads of the most busy road in Siem Reap

The Samar Villas is a place where we would like to provide our customers with the feeling of "Just like home”.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered during your stay with us, I send you, Madam, my best regards.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed for one night in Villa Samar, at the end of December 2011. Overall, we can concur with other reviews stating that it's a quiet and charming small hotel in Siem Reap.

What we liked :

- The hotel's size (8 rooms or so) plus the fact that it's tastefully and very elegantly decorated.

- The food : We had the plate of khmer and "innovative" tapas and we enjoyed them very much. Price-wise it wasn't cheap but not outrageously expensive either. The breakfast (included in the price for one night) was also quite good (save that they had not - may be then only - fresh juices !)

We disliked :

- We decided to go for a bike tour (quite nice at least to see Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom which are not very far, provided you avoid the hottest hours of the day if you come in the dry season) and asked the reception to arrange the bike rental. We were provided in the afternoon with very nice and new mountain bikes (Giant) but we were told they'd be charged 14 $ each a day : As we questionned this price the manager stepped in and said that it was not his bikes and that this was the price asked by the company (Quality bike rental or something like this). He added quite undiplomatically that it was unavoidable that such a company would rip off tourists in the high season and to it only amounted to 10 euros a day ! As we returned the bikes the next morning, the receptionist initially charged us for two days (on a 12 $ basis instead of the 14 $ basis/bike/day). The manager who had guaranteed us that we could use them for 24 hours (day to day) corrected her mistake. But when we moved to the next hotel in Siem Reap, we got the same bikes for 6 $ each a day !

- The rooms are indeed very nice. We stayed in one of the suites in the main house, overlooking at the pool. A couple of things yet could be fixed ; the water pressure in the shower was very low ; there was also a fake flower next to the sink, which I found was a "fausse note". The rooms were also quite dark : of course you can open the shutters but this is at the expense of your privacy as the personnel often passes before them.

- The hotel is off downtown Siem Reap quite close to the southern entrance of the Angkor Site. Location wise it's OK but you'll have to use the tuk-tuk or to have your personal mean of transportation. When we asked a tuk-tuk to leave the hotel to go to another one (not because we were dissatisfied but because the Villa was only available for one night) standing very close, we'd to wait for 15 to 20 mns. The receptionist wanted us to pay directly the hotel which we refused and asked for 12 $ (a joke because it'd should be 3 dollars max).

- The service could be improved. I wanted to get pick a snack in the meny to eat by the pool around 3 pm (there was a snack menu) but I was told that the chef had left and wasn't offered anything to eat.

Overall, our rating does not reflect the intrinsic quality of the hotel but our experience with the management and the fact that we got the impression that we got ripped off for the extras and for the tuk tuk. This last point is key as the hotel is far from downtown Siem Reap (it has it bonuses).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bert061
cp2812, Propriétaire at The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
The Samar Villas have been open for 15 months; all of the comments posted by our customers on TripAdvisor are positive at 100%
I'm glad you enjoyed our restaurant and that you found that our house has charm and that its location at the door of the temple- away from city noise is a plus.
All suites, apartments and villas are equipped with large windows which are protected from the sight of people moving outside by double curtains to ensure privacy. With the heat raging in Cambodia the shutters are often closed in order to reduce the heat.

It is important that I deal with the controversy on the comments made to your rental request from an outside provider.
• To meet the demands of our customers for bicycles, we use an outside provider who brings (and removes) the bicycles to our premise in a small truck. The bicycle provider also assured us that each bike is serviced after every hire so that our clients can be assured that they are sitting on a reliable bike.
• The usual rate for the bicycle is $12/day ( half day or full day ; Please take note that full day is not 24hours). I spoke with the bicycle provider and he has agreed to give you the daily rate for use of the ½ day on December 26 and the whole morning Of December 27. This bicycle rental is charged on your bill 12US$ / bicycle for the 2 days.
• The bicycle rate that you got from another hotel is possible if the bicycle belongs to the Hotel and hence they are free to charge any rate they choose; it is also possible that it is a different model, whether they are service after every hire and definitely a different bicycle provider.

I think there must be a miscommunication between you and the staff.

Transfer to another hotel is normally $3 depending on the distance from the hotel and any discrepancies that you described will be shown on the hotel bill. The tuk-tuks here are luxury equipped with a cooler, mineral water and cold towels. The rate is 18 USD for one day from 08.00 am to 17.00 pm and 12 USD for half a day. The tuk-tuks do not belong to us but this service is provided by a private company which we trust.

The low water pressure problem you encountered was because it was coming out from the reserve tank in the hotel due to Cambodia Water Supply cutting their water every few hours. It happens to all businesses in Siem Reap and some without reserve water tanks have to get water from the ground or go without water.

I wanted to explain these comments to the readers of Trip Advisor in the most transparent way possible on how we manage the provision of external services by independent contractors.

Singapore
Reviewed December 13, 2011

The Samar Villas & Spa was one of the highlight of our first trip to Angkor-Siem Reap. We booked their le Apart room (for 4 pax, 2 bedrooms & 2 bathroom) and it was exquisite.

Samar is charming and quiet boutique hotel with less than 10 rooms. Very well decorated - classy combination of Khmer and colonial style and decoration. Both bathrooms in our room were very spacious and clean. For those who can't do without their TVs & internet during their holiday, could request for TV sets (with most cable channels) in their rooms. WiFi connection was also consistent and strong.

Location is away from town so it is quiet and serene, only 10mins from Angkor Wat by car. Staff were professional, helpful and accommodating. Pool and spa were just perfect for a relaxing time in Angkor. Breakfast was prepared fresh when requested. A restaurant opposite the hotel serves lunch and dinner and they could also arrange to stage Apsara performance with advanced notice.

Will come back if we are in Angkor in the future.

Room Tip: Their 'le Apart' room is perfect for family of four. Spacious with two bathrooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends