“Another Amazing Stay”

Ranked #56 of 341 Hotels in Siem Reap
Singapore, Singapore
“Another Amazing Stay”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is my 2nd time in Bunwin, after a wonderful experience 1 year ago. Again, the hotel never failed to impress! The service remains at 5-stars in my opinion. I like almost everything about Bunwin, especially the unlimited shutter (tuk-tuk) service to city center. I personally feel that the location of hotel is not a problem at all due to the free pick-up service. If not for the free tuk-tuk, I don't think I can get around so easily as I'm not familiar with city center and poor with map & directions. They even offered to ferry me from place to place within the city center (example: from spa to restaurant). This really helped us save a lot on transport!

The staff not only did their job well, they went on an extra mile. When a helicopter company which I booked was late to fetch us to the airport, the staff at Bunwin immediately noticed and called the helicopter company to check on the status voluntarily without us asking.

I really have no complaint about this hotel, except for a feedback which I hope the management of Bunwin would quickly take action. I stayed in Room 09 which unfortunately seems to be the dimmest room, even when all the lights are on. This can be solved easily if there is a standing lamp with strong lighting. I hope the management would look into the lighting issue seriously, as I feel Bunwin do have the potential to rise to Top 5 ranking.

Room Tip: Check if you can get better well-lighted room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ambercola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Devon
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stayed here in February 2012, the 100 metre bumpy ride to the main gate is weird the first time, but after that you won't give it a second thought! Once inside the hotel is affordable chic and very tastefully decorated. Past comments have said the rooms are dark, the only reason they may be darker than say a large modern, ultra commercial, hotel, is because of the lush vegetation around the excellent pool. Do not be put off if you like individuality. Rooms were large and well set out, bed enormous and comfortable. Staff absolutely fantastic, could not be more helpful and friendly. Tuk Tuks into town are arranged and a free mobile phone provided for you to arrange a pick up!
If you want an all singing, all dancing boring, "western style" modern hotel, then don't stay - if you want a memorable stay in affordable luxury in Siem Reap, then stay here!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robin T
Glen Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed April 22, 2012

An oasis hideaway in a busting city. Nice rooms with a great staff, The service was outstanding. Picked us up at the airport, drove us around town when we needed. Arranged a car and guide for the temple excursions. Nice pool arear, secluded and quiet. Food and beverage were very good as well. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed April 16, 2012

From what I have seen, I think this hotel should deserve more 3 out of 5 than 4, but the exceptional friendliness of the staff really made up for the deficiencies I have experienced.

First let me say that I think that all the commentaries about the location are non relevant, it is roughly only 100 meters off the main road - a 30 second of bumpy road drive by Tuk Tuk - and they make up for it by offering free tuk tuk (and a mobile phone to locate you) which is very convenient and pleasant to go anywhere in the city (service until 11 pm).

About the hotel itself, quite small (only 10 rooms) but nice, with a lovely mosaic pool to refresh after the visits, and some pool beds (6) around with clean towels available. The rooms have some good potential, an interesting design in the bed in the middle but some deficiencies. In the first room I had (room 9) it was SO dark that I felt completely depressed and oppressed and wanted to leave on the spot. They upgraded me to a suite, which in fact is just an average room with more decoration. The first one I visited was also very dark and oppressing, but the second one, S02, had a more powerful lighting, so I opted for this one. The room itself was very nice, spacious, well decorated, relatively clean, with a nice rain shower and a bathtub inside the living room, embedded in concrete. For the breakfast you have a choice of 3 different options (continental, american, and another one). It is very good but quite limited.

Those are the positive points, but on the other side there were some deficiencies which make me think there is a bit of amateurship in the management. First, I booked the hotel 3 hours (around midday) before arriving, just before taking my flight, and thought that, by the time, in the middle of the afternoon, they would (and should!) have had the time to read the email I sent them to arrange a pick up. FInally they did not and I took a cab (7$, that they subtracted from my bill to make up for it). Then, within the room, as I said most of them are really really dark, they should really do something about it. And as for the bath, it is really nice, but the hot water is so small that you just have enought time to take a hot shower, but certainly not to take a bath! I tried once to fill up the bath with hot water, it took me more than 1 hour and a half. My phone was also off during the length of my stay, and they seemed to transfer phone calls to random rooms.

But the extremely friendly staff made up for those deficiencies, and offered me 3 days of free tuk tuk to the temples (and 2 sunrises!). Really lovely people! And with a very correct English!

So overall I think this is a very nice hotel, with lots of potential, but they should really work on those minor deficiencies which would make the experience even better!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2012

i'll just cut to the chase and go staight to the point - this is the best hotel in cambodia if you want a private quiet place with 5-star quality service. we had mishaps on our rooms here in bunwin but they systemically arranged a room for us in their sister hotel with complimentary meals and massages. this boutique hotel is very private, very clean. the rooms were spacious. breakfast was fulfilling. tub, sink, toilet was clean and aesthetically designed with cambodia's national flower, floating around like beautiful paper boats. the only odd thing about this place is the location. you will pass through a dark alley with rough roads 2-3minutes from the main road. pretty scary to walk at night but i know they provide 24-hour pimped-out tuktuk for guests including cambodian SIM cards for easy communication and pickup, haven't used it though. anyway, i don't know if people in cambodia are naturally nice or the staff here are just well-trained.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank reddefinition
Canberra
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Highly recommend Bunwin Boutique Hotel. It is hidden away down a backstreet, 10 minutes from town, making it a quiet hideaway. The hotel provides free tuktuks to and from town, and a mobile phone to call when you're ready to be picked up. Very convenient. The pool and gardens are very well kept, the staff very attentive. Breakfast is excellent, and served upstairs in a lovely breezy area. The only suggestion is that free water refills should be provided to guests. Bedside lamps, and instructions to open the safe, would also be good additions.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Millsietravel
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Just returned from a five night stay at Bunwin, and it was a great venue. From the airport pick-up to temple tours they arranged everything for us smoothly. Staff always willing to help and very friendly.

The room was spacious, well air-conditioned and really nicely appointed.

It's a little out of town, but with the hotel willing to drive us in and out for free that wasn't a problem, and meant we were way from the tourist strip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple