“Glad I Chose This Hotel”

Siddharta Boutique Hotel
Ranked #62 of 372 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This was one of the nicest hotels of my three week SE Asia trip. Siem Riep is way too busy for me and staying here was calm and peaceful yet just minutes from town. Nice breakfast too and dinner was very nice as well. Having a Tuk Tuk have you the Friedman to go into town or out touring. I will say that it is not what I consider a "boutique hotel" but it is a top notch small hotel and I would recommend a stay here without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,094)

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Very pleasant stay in this hotel. We tought it was a very good idea to provide a tuk tuk driver selected by the hotel, our was great. The room are big and nice for the price range, nice pool and restaurant at the top to enjoy some cool air. The breakfast is good but everyday the same and the other meals are average, better go outside.
The people at the reception are very helpful, however make sure, if you have made some special requests by email that they don't forget about it.
The massage are cheap and not bad but there are so many spa in Siem Reap...
The only complain would be the guide they booked for us that was really just average.

Room Tip: The room downstairs have a little terrace on the pool but are more humid and dark than the one upsta...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank voyagistablog
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed at the Siddharta Boutique Hotel for 2 nights over Christmas period. Like some other reviewers, the Pavillon d'Orient was full so we were referred to their sister hotel instead.

I was impressed from the start when the manager of Siddharta, Mr. Vuthu Hour, contacted me, offering a family room without having to reserve our stay by credit card. The family room is 2 rooms connected by an interconnecting door with 2 separate bathrooms. The parents' room had a king bed and the children room had a queen bed and single bed. What my children loved most was the playstation PS2 in their bedroom. The games discs were available from reception for free.

There is a nice sized swimming pool and acceptable open air restaurant where we had our breakfasts and dinner. The manager welcomed us with welcome drinks, a free map of the area and tour suggestions. Our room rate included breakfast, complimentary tuk tuk service from hotel to the temples and to town from dawn to 10 p.m. and a one-way pick up service from airport to hotel. A lovely and practical thought! I thought the rate included drop off service from hotel to airport but later found out I had to pay US$7 for the van.

Location of the hotel was good - only 10 to 15 minutes away from the temples and town.

Staff in restaurant, reception and tuk tuk driver were friendly and helpful. We had a late flight out of Siem Reap. Although we had to check out of our room by noon, they gave us another single bedroom for use in the afternoon so that we could wash up after our swim in the pool. Very kind indeed. We booked an English speaking tour guide (Mr. Poy Pines - email: duokbuffoon@yahoo.com) through them and he was excellent. The rate was US$25 for the day.

My husband and I had a massage each for an hour at the hotel. Coming from Bangkok, the land of massages where standards are high, I think I would give it a miss here.

Areas where the hotel can improve on:
1) There were many mosquitoes in the hotel rooms. I killed about 2 to 3 in the mornings and 2 to 3 in the evenings. We asked for the room to be sprayed but I am not sure if the staff actually had the chance to do so considering that the hotel was full.

2) The breakfast variety could be improved. Only 1 muesli and 1 kids' cereal (cornflakes) offered. Bread was only croissant and a hard type available. Juice was mango and orange from cartons which quickly ran out by 9:30 a.m. Eggs of any style plus bacon cooked upon request. There were about 5 to 6 types of fruits available. Coffee and hot water (tea in bags) were from hot boilers. It would be better if the hotel could provide more variety of juice, cereals, bread and cooked tomatoes/ham.

3) The swimming pool water was quite murky. Even my son noticed it. Could do with a clean.

4) We stayed at the top floor family room number 305 which was directly below the kitchen and it was noisy! We thought of going to bed early the first night to wake up early the following morning to see sunrise at Angkor Wat but there were lots of banging and chopping noises coming from above. My husband and son were too bothered by the noise to sleep well so they couldn't wake up for sunrise. Initially we thought the noise was from the room itself but we realised the floors and walls were very thin. We brought the issue up with the manager who did his best to bring the noise level down. The second night was better but we went to bed late after shopping in town so the kitchen was probably shut by then. The manager said he will bring up the issue with the owner but I don't know if anything will be/has been done. We asked to change rooms but were told it was full over the holiday period. If you intend to book the family room and wish to go to bed early because of young children, I suggest you request for a family room on the second floor (e.g. 205) which is away from the kitchen. Room 105 is the massage room.

5) The light coloured tiled floors of the bedrooms could do with a good scrub or mop.

Room Tip: For a family room, ask for room 205. We had room 305 which was directly below the kitchen and it was...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank AvidHolidayMum
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The Siddharta exceeded the reviews. Perfect location - quick trip into the main temple complexes that avoided driving through Siem Reap each day but also close to downtown Siem Reap. Beautiful pool and lovely rooms. Attentive service. Great massage service. AND make sure you ask for Mr. Phan as a tuk tuk driver. He is very experienced and speaks English exceptionally well.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We just returned from Cambodia yesterday and absolutely loved the country! While trying to book hotels after reading TripAdvisor reviews, all the hotels I tried to book were full. Finally, I was contacted by Siddharta saying they had an opening. From the first contact email, the staff went out of their way to make sure all of our needs were met.

We traveled to Cambodia as a family: me, my husband and two active boys, ages 6 and 7.

Upon arriving, we were greeted at the airport by a driver and taken to the hotel which was only about 20 minutes away. Once at the hotel, we were given cold towels and ice cold, delicious Cambodian tea. Having already emailed my itinerary and been assigned a tour guide by the hotel (his name is Poy Pines duokbuffoon@yahoo.com and he was amazing!), they confirmed our destinations for the following day and showed us our room.

Our room was on the first floor by the pool. Each room downstairs has its own porch with two loungers and a hanging swing. Inside, the bathroom was large and clean and there was one King sized bed and one full sized bed, perfect for us all.

We did not get the Family Suite because it wasn't available but there is one if you book early enough.

The pool was very pretty and clean.......every thing was clean!!

Upstairs on the third floor is where the restaurant is located and breakfast is served. The food off the menu is very nice and breakfast was perfect, in my opinion, too. The breakfast was included in the price of our room and included 2 fresh juices, coffee, hot water for tea, 1 type of cereal, oatmeal, croissants, fresh baked bread, butter, homemade jams, chocolate cake and a large assortment of fresh fruit. In addition, they make their own yogurt there and serve tiny portions to guests. It was very tasty. Not too much food and not too little.

Also, on the top floor with the food is a sitting area complete with a computer for guests and sitting area with many couches and chairs.

We went right after Christmas and this was the perfect time to go! The weather was great. Not one time did we get hot. As a matter of fact, I had to wear my husband's flannel shirt in the tuk-tuk on the way to the temples because it was a little chilly (coming from Singapore and being acclimatized to the tropical weather here).

All in all, I would highly recommend staying at the Siddharta! The hotel is extremely clean, the staff unbelievably friendly, the beds comfortable and the food great. I loved this place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great because it's a smaller boutique hotel. We stayed on the ground floor by...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank 2Singapore
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We travelled to Siem Reap with little or no knowledge but had tried to do our research as good as we could. But nothing was as expected - except the hotel that was as good as we had hoped. With a complimentary TukTuk for the whole stay we had great access to the temple visits as Siddharta is located 10 mins north of the city centre. But with the TukTuk we could go in to the city for dinner whenever we wanted. When dinner was over it was a pure bliss to leave the night markets and over crowded streets for the peace at the hotel.
One thing: Siddharta is not a luxury hotel but a hotel with very high standards. Due to the extreme poverty in the country I would have felt bad/guilty staying at one of the more luxurious hotels like La Paix... But thats me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the bottom floor with terrace towards the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrHB
Reviewed January 3, 2012

What an awesome place to stay. Staff are very helpful and so friendly. The tuk tuk included is great as they have excellent knowledge of the area. Room space is generous and house-keeeping is incredible. The restaurant provides excellent affordable meals and the massages are divine. We will definitely return to this place.

• Stayed: January 2012