“Overpriced- see the real thing instead”

Angkor National Museum
Siem Reap City Tour Including Apsara Dance Performance
Ranked #22 of 180 things to do in Siem Reap
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Overpriced- see the real thing instead”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I would rate this as excellent if they charged maybe $3- but at $12 without audio tour, it was very expensive, and the exhibits were at times confusing or poor.

Many were also clearly replicas of temple struchtres. My advice is to skip this and put the money towards the Temple tour instead- and see the ACTUAL temples!

Visited August 2013

• Turkish first
Gorizia, Italy
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“The Angkor National Museum”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

National Museum, in typical
Khmer architecture and magnificent as a whole, rich but almost
exclusively of the sculptures "taken" at Angkor. They are treasures heritage
UNESCO, beautiful ... With another dollar purchase the ability to take
photo of the works on display in the large cloister, in the halls is prohibited.

Visited September 2012
Perth, Australia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Interesting but limited”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I came here after visitng the temples which contrary to most other reviewers I found to be the right sequence as after roaming around Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom I was ready for a bit more of the history. The museum is well laid out comprising eight major halls. Description panels are multi-lingual as are the audio-visual presentations available in several halls. Head-sets for $3 are available at the ticket counter and worth it. They let you take your camera with you but only allow photos in the hallway displays outside the gallery halls, which are very limited. You might as well leave it with your bag that you must check on entry.

The time-line histories are informative but can be difficult to follow. A single large panel showing the major developments and kings would be helpful along with more of the social and political historical evolution. The displays are largely Buddhas, Apasara and nagas, door lintels etc from the temples. They are spectacular but somewhat repetitious. I had to keep reminding myself that this is the Angkor National Museum and not the National Museum or a museum of natural history. Still a bit of historical variety would have improved the experience for me.

The circuit ends in the ubiquitous gift shop which has quite a few very nice objects which are reasonably priced by gift shop standards (expensive by street standards). A very small kiosk sells drinks and limited snacks, not much so don't expect to get lunch here.

At US$12 the entrance fee is maybe a little pricey but this is a new building that would not have come cheap and if this is the cost to preserve national treasures then I am OK with that.

Worth going once.

Visited August 2013
Illinois
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Very informative”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Based on others' reviews we visited the Angkor National Museum on our second day in Siem Reap. Other reviewers were right that it helps to really inform your understanding of the symbolism in the temples as you tour them, so it is something good to do before going. We particularly liked the historical timeline that the museum helped us to understand. On our first day touring (prior to visiting the museum) we had difficulty remembering information our guide shared because we did not have a context for the temples. The museum helps you build that context so that your trip is more meaningful.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank angusmurphy
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I had time to spare on my last day so I went to the National Museum. It was just a few mins away but since I made reservation with the hotel, a tuktuk picked me up at the hotel for free. Entrance fee is 12$. Another 3$ for the audio headset. Make sure to get that audio headset coz its really worth it! I learnt a lot from what I have seen and heard inside the museum. I even spent 2 hours inside it since I was so amazed with the artifacts. Only con was that not all places inside were air-conditioned. Try going in on a weekday to avoid long lines and reserve through your hotel's front desk for a free pick up!

Visited July 2013