“Great budget spot in Siem Reap”

Tropical Breeze Guest House
Ranked #106 of 513 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Tropical Breeze is very well located just 5 minutes' walk from central Siem Reap (night market, Pub Street, etc.) but is on a quiet side street so you aren't in the scrum when trying to chill out or sleep. Rooms are spacious, simply furnished, and clean enough. TV offers several English channels including HBO. Water pressure and availability of hot water are both great. (After years of global travel, I couldn't care less about what a room looks like, so long as it's clean and the shower is good!) My second criterion--good free wifi--was also well met. And you can't beat the price (I paid $9/nt for a regular 'fan' room, then splashed out for $14/night with AC when things got steamier.) They do laundry for $1/kilo and got it back to me the same day. Restaurant serves the usual combo of western and Khmer fare and it's fine. Nothing amazing, but perfectly acceptable and also cheap. And since this place is family owned and operated, and the family was plenty friendly to me, I was glad to give them my business.

Room Tip: Maybe don't take the rooms at the end of the hall on the ground floor. I got #104 which is right...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My friends and I stayed at the Tropical Breeze guest house for 4 nights in January and had a great experience there. The staff is very friendly, helpful and accommodating. They sent a tuk-tuk to pick us up at the airport for free and then charged us very little to use the same driver for the rest of our trip ($15 to $20 depending on what you're doing that day). The tuk-tuk driver, Na, helped us get the most out of our Angkor visit and was very knowledgeable about the temples. The room they provided was spacious and clean, the breakfast was pretty good, and the location was great. The hostel is around the corner from the night market and 5 minutes walk to restaurants, Pub St, etc. The only issue was the pack of dogs barking throughout the night and early morning, but I think that's more of a city problem than a hostel problem. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed here for four nights in January 2014 while touring the temples of Angkor Wat. The location couldn't be better. It's a 5 minute walk to the old market, tons of dining, and Pub Street. The room was comfortable and large. Wifi was decent, and worked better out in the restaurant/lobby area. They have plenty of beer and water that you can also charge to your room. My only complaint is that the water had a very strong iron smell to it from rusty pipes, which took some getting used to. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The place is decent clean for the price, but when that is said, i really haven't got much more nice to say... At first we checked in for 4 nights, got a room, and were okay with that, but already a couple of hours later, we got told (like it was normal around here), that we probably should changes rooms the following day - because they had a bit of a mess in their booking system ( 10-15 books spread around the check-in counter)
Well next day we moved to another room, without any complains.

Then when we asked (if their was any people to ask at the counter, which was pretty rare) for different prices: MTB rentals, airport service, Angkor Wat tours etc. all the prices we got, where almost dobble the prices we found around Siem Reap, which by the way, is the most cozy town in Cambodia - really worth a visit. Well we just ended up booking our MTB's and other stuff around town. Not a big issue.

But on the day of departure, we got our laundry back, and while packing all our stuff, my girlfriend realized, that her cardigan was missing from the clean clothes... And because the weather was a bit chilly, she wore it the day before, and knew it was put with all the laundry.

She told the guy in the reception about the missing peace of clothes - 3 times, but nothing happend...

First when we where about to check out, and again asked the manager if they looked in their laundry room for it - he told us that they didn't steal anything, and we should stop playing tricks to him...
Well this ended up with a 10-15 minuttes long verbal fight, we weren't willing to pay the full amount because of the missing cardigan. The manager (who was really unfriendly) where sure we just said it to get some discount, and wouldn't listen at all, or look for it. We even showed a picture of the cardigan, from the day before - and asked, if they wanted to search all our luggage, to see if we were tricking them - they didn't.

To sum up, he got 5-6 tuk-tuk drivers to block our way until we paid the full amount, he was even grapping both of our shoulders, to drag us back to the counter. So because we had to catch a flight, and our driver was waitng for us, we didn't have the time to get the police to come by - if we had, we would have done it!

This was luckily the only time we encountered unfriendlyness in the amazing country of Cambodia

I would not recommend this place to anyone unless you like being lied to, intimidated, have to switch rooms now and then, and getting your clothes stolen. Actually the wifi also was down 80 procent of the time.

For good reasons i just wanna let you guys know, that at this time, we had been backpacking SE Asia and China for almost 4 months, and this is the first (and hopefully last time) we have experienced anything like this.... Scamming and touts are already a big part of our daily rythm - but this still surpasses all the bad experiences we had! Most of all because of the managers yelling and intimidating way of acting.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ErikKraft
Reviewed January 9, 2014

OK hotel made by its hard working staff. Free pool table, nice enough food, comfortable (albeit noisy) room. For budget staying in Cambodia this place was ideal. Very clean and nice hot shower. Decent bar. Was certainly made by its staff who would do anything for you (you can hire one of their staff for $20 a day to take you to wherever you want). Really good, all speaking English. were more than happy to find any football we wanted in the bar area.

The only worry is if the staff leaves. We had a young lad (mid 20s) looking after us and he was spot on, however, if he leaves, it could go downhill as manager spent most of his time laying in a hammock or on his laptop.

A 5 minute walk to Pub Street

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for a couple nights and it was good. Great washroom, beds were clean, AC worked! Breakfast was enjoyable. We were able to book our trip to Bangkok with them. (that is another adventure) Really we enjoyed this Guest House for the value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I had 3 nights here before & after Christmas. Rooms are nice, spacious and clean, bathrooms are slightly dusty but for $7 a night, I will not complain. Also no soap, but I always have my own...They offer free water to fill up your bottles in the restaurant area, plus free coffee & tea in the morning. Decent food can be ordered and they have a cold case with lots of beer (and BeerLao too!). My only complaint would be this; I arrived after spending 11 hours on a bus, was taken to my room where I freshened up and unpacked my stuff then sat down at their restaurant and ordered dinner and got a beer. Then the manager comes up and tells me that I they gave me the wrong room and I have to clear all my stuff out and move it to the other room right NOW because the other guests are on the way! I was like WTF? and had to drop everything and go do that. No massive problem for me, it took a total of 5 minutes, but the manager didn't even say "Sorry" which I thought was kind of rude.

Room Tip: Maybe when checking in, confirm that the room really IS your room so you don't have to pack up a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo