“Good Price but Terrible Service”

Tropical Breeze Guest House
Ranked #105 of 483 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Good Price but Terrible Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

My friend and I booked a twin room for three nights but when we arrived, we were told that all twin rooms are fully booked so they gave us a triple room at the price of twin room. Fair enough. No complains about that. Price wise, the rate of usd13 for a twin-room with air-conditioning is definitely very reasonable. Location wise, it is slightly off the beaten path but people who prefer a quieter spot will like this location. Now, for the service aspect, I am deeply appalled. On the first night, I thought I lost my passport (no doubt it was a mistake on my part) so I went down with my friend to the receptionist to tell him my situation. He asked me for my name, double checked my room number and went off to call his employer/in-charge whom he said, will come over. So while he was making the call, we went online (there're two computers available for use on the first floor) to check what is to be done and how are we going to go about doing it. After sometime, we were wondering why didn't he get back to us. We stood up, walked to the reception area to find him playing pool. I was deeply appalled by such indifferent attitude. No empathy or whatsoever. I went up to him and the only response I got was that he has already called the person-in-charge. I was seriously dumbfounded. My friend and I went up to our room to do a final checking and thank goodness, it was hidden in some pouch of mine. Again, I won't deny that this is a mistake on my part. After returning to the room, we received a call and something crops up so we have to return to Phnom Penh the next day. By the way, we booked a tuk tuk through them to take us on a sunrise angkor wat temple tour the next day. We head to the reception at around 4.40am to do an early checkout. Guess what? The receptionist (that same guy) actually DEMANDED a reason from us. I do understand that they would like to know the reason but his attitude is unacceptable. I am not obliged to give him a reason by the way. Nonetheless, I told him that something crops up and we needed to head back to phnom penh in the evening. Then, he QUESTIONED me. He gave me a stared look and said, "Phnom Penh?!". Then he went on to make a call, do some checking online and came back to me, asking me to pay for the price of three nights because I booked three nights and they reserved the room for me. In the very first place, I was not given the room that I booked for. On what basis can they claim that they "reserved for me"? I refused to pay for the three nights but offered to pay usd20 instead. I will treat the remaining usd7 as a forfeited deposit for the remaining two nights. He refused to accept and this whole commotion lasted for more than half an hour. In the end, he accepted my offer but this whole service that I am getting is unbelievable. His attitude throughout is ridiculously bad. Early checkouts in the line of accommodation is very very common by the way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here twice during my time in Cambodia and when we arrived back the second time the staff all remembered us which was nice! (it was over a month later and we hadn't pre booked) The rooms are huge, good sized fan to keep them cool (if I had a few extra bucks I would have probably opted for the air con room) and the bathrooms are pretty decent. The TV was great with loads of channels for those times when you're just to tired to do anything else!

Their standard tuk tuk driver Wuty is really great and a fun guy to play pool with of an evening! Generally though it's a pretty quiet hostel but you've got the whole of pub street just 5/10mins walk away to keep you entertained there.

Theres a great restaurant just round the corner (Green Star) and loads of nice BBQ places by the Wat on the road.

It was super close to the school we were volunteering at so was perfect for us!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Quiet guesthouse, good location - 5-10mins to the market. Stayed in a single room with fan, room was spacious, TV with more than 25+ channels. The owner and staff are all friendly and I enjoyed my stay here. Went for Angkor tour using their tuk tuk driver and it was all good. I will definitely come to stay again if I visit Siem Reap in future.

The only negative point is the sewage smell from the bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

First off i recieved an email from TBGH asking if we wanted a free transfer service from our bus journey from Phnom Penh. We accepted and were greeted by a lovely gentlemen who couldnt speak much english but was friendly never the less he was called coco. On the way there he run out of petrol and we had to lend him some money which wasnt an issue at all. We had a laugj about it and got payed back when we got to the hotel. Coco also took us to Angkor Wat and Thom the next day.
When we arrived we were shown to our room 102 i think and when we got in it really stank of stale smoke like the person before had smoked in the room and as non smokers it was pretty unbearable so we told reception and they swapped rooms just across the hall to 107 almost immediately which was great.

It was about a 10 minute walk to pub street or $1 tuk tuk if you felt lazy! It wasnt sign posted or well known so we had to direct the tuk tuk drivers in pub street to the guest house.

There was a good little pool table that kept is occupied and a really cute little girl who liked my pringles and necklace! We had fun with her as everytime she saw us she said hello and when she left the room she said ba bye and that went on for a good 15 minutes. so cute!

So thats our views we would stay here again if we came to Siem Reap

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Chelsey R
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for two weeks, and can recommend this guest house. Will list the pros below, but also a few cons, so the manager can hopefully have a look, fix up, then make it an excellent experience.

Pros
Cheap price, for a big room, big bed, bathroom, tv and fan. Our room was nice and quiet.
Nice balcony on each floor.
Lovely front desk staff member who was always very friendly.
Free pool and some eager staff to play with.
Free bicycle and lock use, which we used often and was so convenient.
Great location, not in the busy centre, just over the bridge and down a street away. Very easy walking distance to the main strip.
The two year old daughter of the boss was always around to make us laugh, plus a cute cat.
Nice food, with good portions.
Communal computers in the downstairs area, with Internet, which was very useful.
Book exchange.
Easy to book temple tours and English guides through the guesthouse, we went with Robin Hood for our tour guide, who was lots of fun.
Next door is the Golden Banana, which was handy to go and use their pool on a hot day for only two bucks.

Cons
The bathroom did smell, but not dirty, it smelt of the piping, like copper, but we got used to it.
No discounts for long stays like two weeks. We booked a tuk tuk for the temples, however, my partner got sick and we returned home early. We thought maybe they would slightly reduce the tuk tuk price, to act as a discount for staying a longer period of time, but we were charged the full price.
Our breakfast orders were wrong on a few occasions, but we didn't want to make a fuss and ask them to change the bill.
Laundry was not the best, it didn't smell like much detergent was used, their were stains and colours must have been mixed, as one of my white crop tops came back blue. Plus many items came back damp. I was also missing a few items and had to go searching.
The front desk guy needs help! During busy times, there needed to be another staff member around who spoke English.
We booked a bus ticket to Poipet through the guesthouse and were booked with Amazing Angkor Tours and travel or something like that, please do not use this company! It was an appalling service, dishonest, with a three hour trip to the border taking over five and a half hours!

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend staying here and think with a few tweaks here and there it can be an excellent guesthouse.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We arrived by bus from 4000 islands and were picked up for free by one of the staff who was so friendly and welcoming, so appreciated when arriving late in a new country. The hotel room was clean with very powerful fans, TV and cute bathroom with hot water. Can't believe it was only £1.80 each! Free tea/coffee and lots of guidance from the staff about Angkor. 5 mins walk to Oldtown Market, tasty cheap restaurants on St.9 and Pub street. Great choice whether you are on a budget or not!!

• Stayed October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great location for this lovely little guest house, they picked us up from the airport too. Staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were clean, balcony was really nice. Very close to Pub St, the night markets and lots of restaurants. Overall a great find and would recommend, it was very good value and I really liked it there. Average because there was no air con in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends