“Perfection for 21 days straight!”
Review of Sam So Guesthouse

Sam So Guesthouse
Ranked #73 of 497 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Vientiane, Laos
“Perfection for 21 days straight!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Anyone can fake it for a night or two, but when you stay at a guest house for three weeks you get to know the staff and the hotel operations pretty well.

After 21 days of staying with Mr. Sam So and Mrs. Sotheavy in their guest house, I can't think of a single thing i would have changed about my stay.

The guest house is located within walking distance (10 minutes or so) from the old town, night market, and pub street. It's one block from the river and set back away from the street in this cool little community that's gated at night.

I loved the setting - you're surrounded by Cambodian families, kids playing in the yard, and locals just living their lives. If you're interested in getting a real taste of Siem Reap as opposed to a whitewashed Westernized version, this is the place to stay.

Clean, large rooms with a friendly staff who always offered to clean my room each day. The rooms are simple but the beds are comfortable and the WiFi signal in my room was EXCELLENT (no small feat in SE Asia!!!)

Definitely get a room with air con, you'll need it in Siem Reap.

Don't miss breakfast either - free with your stay but they should charge for it because you get your choice of several egg dishes plus toast, fruit (always two kinds - again, very rare!!) plus jam, butter, and limitless coffee and tea.

Mrs. Sotheavy arranged a great tuk tuk tour of Angkor Wat for me and then went out of her way to secure my Vietnam visa.

Also, it bears saying that every single member of the staff was not only friendly and helpful, but trustworthy. I felt absolutely secure as far as my personal belongings were concerned, and very safe as a solo female traveler.

Can't recommend highly enough for budget travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river give you a pretty view of the colorful surrounding homes and buildings
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Rebekah V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
greenville, nh
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was hopeful, since the hosts are delightful. A tuk tuk driver was waiting for me at the bus station. The place seemed nice. But my bed is infested with bed bugs, my breakfast omelette had ham in it when I specifically asked for no meat, and the owner forgot to turn the hot water on the first night I arrived. Nice people but you have many options so...

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank lmcg
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I had selected staying at this guesthouse based on an internet search on hostels.com, which is not limited to hostels, by the way. I mostly selected it because there were several reviews saying how great the owners were, which I value, plus, going to another country, I was concerned about language barrier.

I had actually received an email the day before I planned on arriving. She was offering to have someone pick us up at the bus station. We stayed in communication about it, and her written English was excellent. Our bus was over 2 hours late getting in because of road construction, and the tuk tuk driver was there greeting us with a smile when we finally arrived, and while we were very apologetic about keeping him waiting, he was more than understanding.

The rooms were nicer than we expected. Spacious, clean, comfortable. the rooms are basic, but more than adequate for our needs. The hot water went out once, but this seems to be typical for Cambodia. Mattresses in general are a lot harder than what people in the US are accustomed to, so expect that in general, as well.

The married couple who resides at the guesthouse are wonderful people. They want to make their guests feel at home and they are willing to book a tour, make sure you have a tuk tuk driver for your daily outings and give you information, or just converse and get to know you. They also can rent you a bike for a modest fee and they serve breakfast (the menu caters to westerners, which I actually prefer ethnic food). It was just s short bike ride to get into the downtown area and there was lots to do on the way, in terms of food or spa- so the location is very nice as well, and set back from the road so the noise was not too much.

Out of all the places I staying on my month adventure through SE Asia, I would say Sam So guesthouse had the friendliest and most helpful staff. If I found myself in Siem Rea again, I would certainly enjoy staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sherri40
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was our first stop in Cambodia, and we stayed there for 4 nights. The room was large with comfy beds, and hot water,and the guesthouse as a whole was clean and cozy. We had breakfast there every morning,which always included delicious fresh fruit! Yum!

The best part of our stay however, was the incredibly helpful owner. We took to calling her Mary Poppins. She anticipated many of our needs, helping us to arrange a tuk-tuk driver to the temples ( who by the way was also super super friendly!), booked us tickets to go see traditional dancing, helped us with directions around the city, booked our bus tickets to our next destination ( which involved her calling every company to try to find us the most comfortable seats on the bus!).
She was so friendly and knowledgeable, her help improved our stay in Siem Rep immensely!

They also had guidebooks to borrow, WiFi with really good connection, and we ate a lunch there one day that was pretty delicious!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hannover, Germany
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

We loved this accommodation, especially the very helpful and friendly staff. They helped organize our trips and the driver was very friendly and waited for us when we wanted to stop somewhere. Also the breakfast was very good! We would certainly stay here again! Thank you for the wonderful time in Siem reap, we loved it there!

• Stayed January 2014
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

GlobeMed at UVa has stayed at Samso for two summers now and we are so glad we did!! They are the most hospitable, caring, and accommodating people! We truly felt like family staying here and we are so glad we have a wonderful guesthouse to go back to every summer!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

The guesthouse itself is great. Good value for money, big/clean rooms and a good breakfast is included. But what really makes this guesthouse so great is the staff. They're all so kind and can't do enough for you. We booked all our trips and transport through Sam So without any problems. They really go the extra mile to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They also speak very good English.

The only criticism I would have is the noise. It is a family run guesthouse so there are a lot of (very lovely but very noisy) children playing outside in the early hours of the morning. I'd advise taking earplugs.

Overall we had a wonderful stay and would happily return to Sam So Guesthouse.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple