“Great place to stay!”

Sam So Guesthouse
Ranked #71 of 493 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Sam So guesthouse is a small family hotel. We stayed there for two days and three nights, and we felt like at home. We really enjoyed. The owners were very friendly and they were trying to do their best at place. The rooms, bathroom – everything was perfectly clean.
Breakfast was fresh and tasty: eggs, bread and butter, plus a variety of fruits. Free tea is available all day long.
Mrs. Sotheavy helped with organization of our trip (bus from Phnom Penh, taxi Poipet, tuk-tuk around Siem Reap and Angkor). We travelled without any problems!
There were refrigerator and TV in the room with one Russian channel. Although we’ve booked room with a fan, there was a conditioner that worked when we were out for a walk, therefore it was comfortably cool when we came back.
Staff washed our clothes very quickly, and we paid only $1. There was a free computer with Internet access in the lobby.
The guest house is conveniently located, not that far from the city centre, and the place itself was very quiet. We had a perfect time while stayed at Sam So guesthouse, and surely will come back next time!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
Antibes, France
Reviewed November 21, 2013

For the price, this hotel is good. It is conveniently located not far from pub street and the old quarter. The staff is friendly, they can help you with booking tuk tuk, but maybe you can find better prices on your own. The rooms were OK, quite big, but not so clean. They look a bit old. Regarding general cleanliness, you have to remove shoes before walking in the hotel, but the hallways are not clean at all, so what's the point?
The breakfast was good enough.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013

'They are not staff they are friends' this was said by Sam So himself, who owns the guest house.

Me and my girlfriend have been travelling through Asia and we have to say this has been the most friendliest and helpful place we have stayed!!

Sam So wife and 'friends' helped us with a smile and with no problem at all every time! This included pick up from bus station, tuk tuk hire for the temples, bike hire, laundry and booking onward travel.

We had even got confused with what time we had to check out and ended staying later however once again they were completely understanding and still smiling!!

Room and sheets were cleaned every day and we were provided water and toilet paper!

I suppose the bathroom could do with a bit of TIC however the amazing staff completely compensate for this!

Breakfasts were lovely and cooked from fresh every morning!

If you want a comfortable and happy guest house to stay this is definitely the place!!

Thank you Sam So for being fantastic!!

Steen and Emily

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Brace yourself - I have a lot to say...

To put things in perspective, we are a couple in our early 30s traveling for the year. We aren't true 'budget travelers', although we are on a budget. Throughout SE Asia, we have been averaging $10 per person per night. This was slightly below that at $6.25 pax, including breakfast. So, we were prepared for slightly less cushy accommodations, but not well enough prepared considering the 'excellent' rating Sam So has on tripadvisor.

The airport pick up was relatively quick and easy, which we were grateful for. It was when we arrived, that we encountered our first problem. We were told our booking was for one person only, and we had not paid for two. Luckily, I had my booking confirmation which clearly stated I had booked for 2 adults in a standard double room. She let it be, though still continued to refer to it as though I had made an error.

My already low expectations were unfortunately not met when I entered the room. The rooms are dingy, worn, and in bad need of a paint job. The security latch on the door was broken, the sink leaked from the bottom, and it was impossible to put up the shower head while showering unless you are a fan of showering directly on top of the toilet. Not near, I'm used to that. ON. The bugs, fortunately, weren't too much of an issue, I only noticed one spider and one or two mosquitos.

There are, of course, a few positives: they do provide you with basic toiletries, towels, and a pretty decent breakfast. The staff are, indeed, smiling and helpful here. For us, however, it was truly worth it to spend just a few dollars more per person for more comfortable accommodations.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was only going to stay in Siem Reap for three days but Sam So and the staff made me feel so at home, I stayed for two weeks.

The rooms are fantastic, clean and spacious, the shower's great and there is nothing bad about this place. I rented a bike most days and the staff would always make sure there were no problems before I cycled away, and it was an amazing way to get around.

It's also possible to book tours, buses, boats, anything through them and they give very fair prices.

I really can't explain how incredible the staff are; their smiles are the best start to the day. I hope to return to Siem Reap again and stay with them.

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Having stayed here in 2012 and been amazed by the wonderful experience of staying at Sam So from the helpfulness of his family and staff, the ease of organising trips ad onward move on and the standard of the rooms I told many friends who were travelling who came and experienced it for themselves none were disappointed.

I found myself in Cambodia again and some friends were heading to Siem Reap, so I told them to stay here. In the end I came to meet them here and wasn't disappointed. Aside from a brief trip to Thailand I stayed here for a total of 4 weeks and wished it had been longer. The location is perfect, near to everything but in a quiet area. The rooms spotlessly clean, comfy beds, hot showers, fridge, free wifi and fan (A/C also exists) for incredible value for comparable places I have stayed in SE Asia. However lots of places can attain those standards, I think what makes Samso Guesthouse so special and unique is the atmosphere and service created by Sam So and his wonderful family and staff. They are genuinely the nicest people you could meet, always so willing to help and their arrangements for Tuk Tuks, onward travel, tours etc. are all incredible value (unlike many places I've been where the prices are marked up). Nothing is too much trouble and their wonderful smiles are unforgettable. it is surrounded by Sam's family with his brother renting well maintained bicycles for $1 a day if you want.

Whether you stay two days as I did in 2012 or 28 days as I did this time you are guaranteed a wonderful stress free time and will want to return again and again. In summary if you are coming to Siem Reap and want incredible value for money and priceless memories, stay here! I miss it already!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The owners of this guesthouse are extremely friendly and helpful, The rooms are comfortable and clean, any problems are resolved immediately. All trips arranged with their tuk-tuk driver Lay was professionally organized and executed. Hi is friendly and able to assist with trip and sight seeing choices. They arranged tickets to Phnom Pehn for us also.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends