“The most friendly and helpful hostel!”
Review of Sam So Guesthouse

Sam So Guesthouse
Ranked #63 of 508 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. On the bus from Phnom Penh I realized that I had forgotten my passport at my Phnom Penh hostel. When I arrived in Siem Reap it was pouring down. However, the free tuktuk pick-up was patiently waiting for me with a sign w my name and a big smile on his face, even though he was soaking wet. I arrived at the hostel and had them help me phone my hostel in Phnom Penh and arrange for my passport to be sent to SR. The next morning my passport was at the reception! They had picked it up for me at the bus terminal and when I offered to pay them some money for the inconveniance, they declined. This is a family driven hostel with the most friendly and smiling staff. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 20, 2013

To be candid: we were pressured a bit to write a good Trip Advisor review which, I suspect, is what gives this guest house it's "Excellent" rating.

About a 10 minute walk from the heart of Siem Reap, which we liked bc it offered a peaceful respite from the obnoxious bars on Pub Street. Some really nice restaurants nearby. Sam So offers a free breakfast: Eggs, toast and fruit.

Sam So is run by a wonderful family and Mr. Sam So himself was our favorite person in all of Siem Reap!

All this said, this guest houses "excellent" rating is a BIT generous. We paid approx. $10/night for a double room with a fan (that got VERY HOT during the day) that was no better than other places I've stayed for $5-$7/night. Our room was larger than a lot of places I've stayed and the bathroom was clean enough..

Rooms were cleaned every day - which was a nice bonus.

Downsides are: the place needs a paint job and some de-bugging. Room and bathroom were pretty buggy...possibly the buggiest I saw in Cambodia. Lots of ants in the bathroom and little winged creatures all around. My boyfriend spent about 20 minutes killing all the spiders we found underneath the TV and closet. Again, to be candid, we did not mention the bugs to the staff as 1) they were pretty obvious to anyone in the room and 2) we just decided to deal with it.

Finally, we independently set-up our temple tour and bus tickets cheaper in the city than the prices Sam So had quoted us at. Although, I'm sure they deal with reputable agents hence the slightly higher prices. The stuff we found was cheaper and fine...got lucky I guess.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Quick response from the email and even in booking the room itself! Room is big and spacious and mineral water is replenished everyday those single details got us impressed. Staff are courteous, knowledgeable as to what and where are going... Location is good and our tuktuk is perfect.

Sam so made our trip wonderful....

Thank you Mr. Sam so.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I came here based on Trip Advisor ratings, after two hotels I did not find relaxing. For $6 I get a room with a fan, bottled water, shampoos / soap / toothbrush that I am very comfortable in. For such a great price they keep it very clean and the staff are so sweet and lovely. For $11 you get hot water and breakfast as well. The courtyard area below is usually just children playing during the day so it's really restful and quiet, and they had a very quiet fan so I am very happy! It's not right where the action is, so $1 will get you a tuk tuk ride to the Night Market / Old Market area very easily, and most drivers know it. I would highly recommend it. PS A few hundred metres down the main street (at the authentic place where all the locals go and eat), they do an amazing noodles / peanuts / salad meal with a really tasty dressing for 2500 riel, that I ordered another plate of, it was so good! This is not the big western restaurant across the road that's usually empty, it's the local place a little bit further away that's so good...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This guesthouse was highly recommended on Tripadvisor and Hostelworld, and it is easy to understand why.

Rates are good, and inclusive of free pickup from airport and daily breakfast. Staff can also help to arrange transportation out of Siem Reap, as well as tours in Siem Reap itself. Alternatively, you can arrange tours with the tuk tuk driver picking you up from the airport while on the way to the guesthouse.

Accessibility wise, it is rather easy to walk from guesthouse to the market centre / Pub Street. Probably 15-20 mins walk.

Also had the chance to meet the guesthouse owner himself, Sam So and his wife, who were both extremely apologetic for not meeting me earlier. Such warm hospitality!

Would stay here again if I go to Siem Reap again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Hi I highly recommend Samso Guesthouse, it's a nice place, quiet, clean, very safe environment for tourist, and spacious. We availed Double room w/ ac and it only cost $17 a day, take note w/ free breakfast. This place also near to Old MarkeThey have lovely staff and well accommodating, especially the owner Mr. And Mrs. So. Samso guesthouse has free pick up from the airport. We stayed here first last May 26, a trike driver from guesthouse picked us up. Mrs. So is nice and we booked only and just paid when we checked out the guesthouse. We're currently staying here and will leave in 15th.From phnom penh, I only emailed Mrs. So that we will be arriving in siem reap following day and will stay in her guesthouse, again trike driver picked us up.My husband and I,really enjoying our stay here..l Mrs. So and Mr. So, two thumbs up.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE! I was dealing with a horrible situation and the owners of Sam So did their best to help me cope. I got my laptop stolen literally hours before staying here so I was in a crappy mood and didn't trust anyone for awhile but they were extremely friendly and generous to my friend and I. Sam went out of his way to call, then drive me to the tourist police station in Siem Reap to report the missing laptop. They are definitely good people and love their kids so I got extremely good vibes from them and would not stay anywhere else when I go back to Siem Reap.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends