“An evening of dance and dinner”

Angkor Village Apsara Theatre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Step back in time at the only air conditioned theatre in town. Dancers, singers and musicians will bring ancient Khmer culture to life in spectacular surroundings while you enjoy the very best in Cambodian cuisine.
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I wanted to see some traditional Khmer dance so I booked tickets from the Angkor Village Hotel at $25 each for my husband and I. The price included dinner and the show.

The tables were long and low and we sat on cushions which was a little uncomfortable for my 6'2" husband. The meal we were served consisted of fried spring rolls with dipping sauces, chicken soup with lemongrass, green papaya salad with mango, saraman pork with red spices, steamed fish in banana leaves, steamed white rice, and carmelized pumpkin with coconut cream. The food was pretty good and the service was efficient.

We were given programs as we entered but unfortunately there were none in English so ours was written in French which made it slightly difficult to figure out what we were seeing. However we enjoyed the music from the orchestra and the performances. The program not only describes the 5 dances but the characters, the meaning of the hand gestures, and the instruments that make up the khmer orchestra. When I got home I translated the program so the dances were: Ballet of Apsaras, Dance of fishermen, Dance of Mekhala, Dance of coconuts, and Legend of Reamker.

It was a nice way to spend a few hours doing something other than temple sightseeing. I'm glad we went.

13  Thank chris45ny
in 22 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 24, 2014

$ 25/pp.. Out of curiosity about apsara dance, we decided to book on our last evening at Angkor Village Hotel, dance was okay, if it was exclusively dance for the King and royalty in the bygone era, I wonder if everyone was bored senseless or was their attention focus on someone or something else ??? Food was terrible ! Maybe the dance and dinner at raffles is better.. for twice the price? I will never know...

4  Thank Sunnyd909
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was part of our tour, and we had low expectations. The seating was low and uncomfortable, though we were located right by the stage which was good. We arrived a bit late so our meal was rushed, the food was edible but not great. At the end of the evening we had to have a long conversation about the bill, but we paid what we expected in the end.
The dancing was exquisite, and the programme notes very useful in figuring out what was happening. Later in our trip we learned more about how dance has come back in Cambodia after Pol Pot, and that knowledge made the dance even more impressive in retrospect. It was privilege to see the Ramayana danced by such dedicated performers, which more than made up for the poor meal.

6  Thank Retired_engineer_58
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Decent enough performance. A few of the dancers were quite good, and a few were still in training. But overall an entertaining show in a lovely setting. The food wasn't that great. Bland and oily, in my opinion, and didn't sit well in the tummy, so to speak. If it was just a dancing show and a bit cheaper I'd feel better about recommending it.

4  Thank Bonekasalju