“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Tan Kang Angkor Hotel
Ranked #270 of 376 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

In the whole of 8 weeks of travelling around south east Asia this was by far the WORST place we stayed (and also one of the most expensive)- and we are not fussy travellers - we are quite used to staying in wooden/bamboo basic huts. I cannot portray how DIRTY this was. (Which i cannot understand as there seems to be a wealth of cleaners who laze about on/around the stairs all day). Absolute filth. Cockroaches all over the room, dust and grime everywhere, smelly towels. We were taken here by a tuk tuk driver (lesson one never let this happen) and were fooled by the lobby which looks quite grand but do not get sucked in! We asked to change rooms as soon as we went in as there were multiple cockroaches and they tried to charge us for an upgrade as they had 'run out' of standard rooms - clearly not the case as the hotel was huge but empty. After a bit of a fight they agreed to move us for free but we had to move back as soon as a standard room was available. Such poor customer service. The deluxe room was far from deluxe - pretty much exactly the same as standard.
Breakfast was terrible.
The only saving grace was its position close to pub street an the night market. We would have moved elsewhere if we were staying in siem reap for longer.
To summarise - DO NOT STAY HERE! That place needs to be shut down!

• Stayed: June 2013
Than R, Owner Representative at Tan Kang Angkor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2015

Greetings from Tan Kang Angkor Hotel – Siem Reap.

Very much appreciated that you choosing our hotel for your accommodation within vacation previously in Siem Reap. We feel very fortunate that you gave us the opportunity to take care of you during your stay in King of wonder.

Our management team very pleasure to accept your valued feedback to improve our property to be a high level hospitality service. With all of incidents comments, Tan Kang Angkor Hotel team will reinforce all part of obligate to improving staff, qualities, service, and facilities for meet customer satisfaction from now on.

Should you have had a specific question or concern any assistance please do not hesitate to email this for my attention at or@tankangangkorhotel.com , we always seek to respond and act on any problems or issues pointed out to us by our guests.

Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Tan Kang Angkor Hotel the next time you're in Siem Reap.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had stayed 2 night.
That price was $36 include breakfast & free shuttle service booking by booking.com.
Location is near Old market by walking.
Bed was double and room clean also.
Staffs of hotel were very,very kindly for visitor,especially for me.
Then,I had enjoyed my trip.
So,I had like to visit and stay this hotel "Tan Kang Ankor Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank YASUNORI S
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We booked 3 nights at the Tan kang Angkor Hotel (double room with balcony - highest price class, 39$ per night!) and it was really bad! The room was dirty (dirty walls, dirty floor and it seamed to be a health issue to put something in the fridge), the bed sheets were dirty, the bathroom was super dirty, and the nights were short due to other guests who were super loud... The walls seemed to be out of paper! The breakfast was very basic and not tasty. We would have changed hotels if we would stay longer in Siem Reap...the room would maybe be ok if it would cost 9$, instead of 39$!!

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Beware of unsanitary conditions and ignorant staff - they kept my property, and would not return it.
I had checked in, and needed to get in touch with a friend, but could not get a wifi connection unless I walked over to the staircase. I asked for assistance from 2 different men who ignored me. I finally got the attention of one guy who came and tried his phone's wifi in my room. He agreed it didn't work, and said he would be back.. He never returned.

I plugged my iPad into the only socket behind my bed, and when I went to use my washroom I finally noticed how nasty my room was! Pee in the toilet from before, and dried on the seat! Pubic hair on the seat.. I couldn't even go. Filthy conditions.

I looked at my room closely, and there were footprints on my wall, the sheets had makeup all over when I pulled the covers back. I hope it was makeup. I asked a fellow in the hallway to clean the toilet, and he said ok... But 20 minutes later, I saw him (in the stairwell where I was emailing my friend) and he turned and walked back downstairs!

I had only been there 90mins. I was so upset, grabbed my things which hadn't even been unpacked and returned the key, saying I was leaving. They asked why and I reminded them of the 2 issues I had asked for their assistance with.
They tried to block me from leaving, and were yelling out after me... I kept walking.

When I got to my new spot a block away, I realized I left my charger in the wall.
I asked the gentleman from my new hotel if he wouldn't mind helping me because they were visually angry as I left, and he was happy to help. He returned very apologetic and empty handed, saying they had my charger and outlet converter, and even showed it to him, but refused to give it back unless I went on my own and explained myself. I was too intimidated, so he returned and once again came back empty handed. They wouldn't give back my items unless I went there myself. I ended up buying a new one, got a free ride from my kind new friend from the new hotel.

Avoid this hotel like the plague, they do not deserve your hard-earned money.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel's only redeeming factor is its location. That being said, the rooms are dismal, the wifi intermittent, the service subpar, and the place has a bad smell to it! For the price they charge, the place is a waste of money, I have already changed my accommodation halfway through. I usually stay at hostels, and wanted a quick break from hostel life, however this was an utter disappointment. You get better value for your money at hostels than this hotel. There are much better places to stay in Siem Reap, I suggest choosing elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel has a quaint charm, the location is amazing, but the rooms could all do with a good clean! the taps are covered in grime. Be aware of the room type you booked on Agoda, we got an inferior room that was grotty and had horrible foam mattresses. Also if you find stairs a challenge the best rooms are on the top floors and its a hike but worth it! These are really nice rooms. The internet was up and down. Some of the staff just a little too friendly and touchy and safety hmmm well that left a bit to be desired.
We saw a poor woman who came to breakfast without shoes on, she touched the toaster and the next minute she was in the pool booted by the shock backwards, must have earthed the very dodgy electrical appliance, scary. Overall it was great, but just take care.

Room Tip: top floors, just check what you booked and paid for before accepting the room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Best location near central night market and just cross the street going to the old pub street. This is just a 5 minute walk to the best eating places in Siem Reap. We were given a nice room with double bed, aircon and electric fan.The toilet is clean with hot and cold showers.The location is nice for travellers wishing a little peace and quiet. The street noise is tolerable and becomes lesser at 10 PM. There is a nice pool to lounge around after a tiring day going to the temples. There is a free buffet breakfast with nice Khmer food. But you have to wake up early to be able to eat this buffet breakfast since guests are known to engorge on their free buffet breakfast. Tuktuks are readily available outside of the hotel. They can arrange for quick laundry service. They have WIFI but signal could be weak at times, however, there are 3 internet stations at the hotel lobby free for hotel guests.Thank you to the hotel managers Mr Saymeng,Mr. Mai, Mr Sokheng and Mr. Socheath for arranging our vehicles going to Ton Le Sap. All these for only for 17 USD.

Room Tip: Ask the manager for a good view of the street fronting the night market and for the newer wing rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple