“Cheap at any price! ”

Cambodia Trial
Ranked #159 of 273 Outdoor Activities in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The very reliable tour guide team who always offers tour services in the Angkor park with commitment.
Reviewed June 29, 2016 via mobile

We were lucky to meet Mr. Sokkung shortly after we arrived in Siem Reap. We had five people in our party, so we were glad he had a van to use for the tour. He was astonishingly knowledgeable about everything pertaining to the temples: the history of the temples, their restoration, ancient Cambodian history, contemporary history, the differences between Hinduism and Buddhism, and where they intersect in the architecture and artwork of Angkor Wat. And when it started to rain, he pulled out three umbrellas to share with us unprepared travellers. Really, we learned a lot from him today and had a great experience. He was very generous with his knowledge. He also made sure we got all the best pictures. Can't recommend this service enough!

All reviews
"hour sokkung"
in 3 reviews
"khmer history and culture"
"his vast knowledge"
"cambodia"
in 13 reviews
"village"

Reviewed June 12, 2016

If you're reading this, planning your trip to Siem Reap, I personally recommend you hire Sokkung to be your guide around the amazing temples of Angkor Wat.

Warm and wet was our arrival to Siem Reap. Clearing customs, we walked outside the arrival hall trying to stay under the narrow slither of shelter protecting us from torrential rain as we paid for transport to our hotel. We were given a coupon and told to wait. Suddenly, a van is reversing up onto the sidewalk towards us, so we can load our luggage without being drenched. It was a small, but accommodating gesture. A driver stepped out with a smile, introducing himself as Hour Sokkung.

We immediately found Sokkung warm and inviting and very easy to talk to. By the time we got to the hotel we decided to hire him to take us around Angkor Wat. It was 100% the right decision.

The hard facts: Sokkung drives you around in a beautifully air conditioned van, stocked with plenty of bottles of water and refreshing towels. That doesn't sound that impressive, but believe me it is. We are both in our 20s and regular gym junkies, and we could not wait for that bottle of water each time we were back in the car.

The soft facts: He is incredibly knowledgeably, smart and understanding of the needs of who he is guiding. His presence added to the enjoyment of the Angkor experience every step of the way for my both my partner and I, who had varying interests between us.

And most important of all for a lot of you out there - Sokkung takes amazing photos. My girlfriend will forever be grateful for the shots she has of us together, taken by Sokkung.

In fact we loved Siem Reap so much that we changed our plans for our next holiday and re-booked to return to Siem Reap six months later, this time arranging Sokkung to pick us up from the airport.

My recommendation is don't miss out, get in contact with Sokkung and book him for yourself before someone else does. FYI - I would recommend the big and small circuit split over two days (Angkor Wat with Ta Prohm and another temple on day one and Angkor Wat City, Bayon and so forth on day two).

Reviewed April 25, 2016

Serendipitously, upon arrival at Siem Reap International Airport, our assigned taxi driver was Mr Hour Sokkung. Immediately apparent was his English speaking skills and enthusiasm. Fortunately he is also a fully qualified private tour guide and with a very reasonable fare was available to be our personal driver for the whole day on our first ever visit to Angkor Wat, Ta Prom (Tomb Raider) and Angkor Thom.
Sokkung's infectious personality made every difference to our visit. Without him the amazing sights we experienced would have little meaning. His vast knowledge of the history and encyclopaedic knowledge of dates, religion, kings and cultures brought the many intricate stone carvings and archaeological features to life. Sokkung also knows the best photographic vantage places for viewing the temples and recording your memories.
Whatever you do, engage a guide if you value the unique experience these temples have to offer. People without were left wondering what it all meant.
Sokkung was impeccably dressed, professional, polite and friendly. He was super organised providing us with abundant ice-chilled water bottles and refresher towels which were heaven sent on an extremely hot and dehydrating day. The van was air conditioned and comfortable, Sokkung making every effort to ensure our needs were met. He took us to a nearby air conditioned restaurant for a delicious lunch of authentic Khmer food.
My husband and I thoroughly recommend this gentle man to be your companion for a day never to be forgotten. Or as many days as you require.
Tip: On a hot day, take a personal umbrella.

Reviewed March 4, 2016 via mobile

I stayed in Siem Reap for 5 Days. During this time Mr. Hour Sokkung was my Driver,Guide,Teacher and Friend. He picked me up at the Hotel and then drived to the Tempels. His knowledge about the History of Angkor and the whole Country is amazing.I would definitly recommand this Company and especialy Mr. Hour to everyone who want to learn more about The Tempels in Siem Reap and the Country.