“Friendly staff, great pool, good value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Banana Bed & Breakfast & Boutique Hotel

Golden Banana Bed & Breakfast & Boutique Hotel
Ranked #112 of 499 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Friendly staff, great pool, good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have now stayed at all 3 parts of Golden Banana - the resort, hotel and B and B. All have good facilities, nice staff and each has its own pool. If you want to spend time here, the resort is a good option, with good big rooms and private space. If you plan to be out and about and just want somewhere to sleep, the B and B is a good option, and probably the best value. The only drawback with Golden Banana resort is that the breakfast you get is not much better than you get at the B and B.

Room Tip: For value, choose the B and B option. You still get access to a nice pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank David_Hindley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked this place for later this year when my family is coming over from the U.S. to spend Christmas. I booked because it is listed as "gay friendly". I'm gay and I like to support establishments that provide an atmosphere that is not discriminatory. My son is also gay but his mother is not so I wanted someplace that would be comfortable for all of us.

I live in Phnom Penh and had a long weekend to visit Siem Reap for some R and R and decided this would be a good time to check out the Golden Banana before my family comes so I headed up with my straight house mate for the weekend. This place is totally awesome. I wanted a good vibe but not one of flaming out all night pool parties. I'm not judgmental about it and there is a time for a good party, I just didn't want that with my son and his mom. Well, the place was perfect and my straight roommate wasn't sure why they even called it gay friendly. He's a little slow about these things, lol. The all male staff was over the top friendly and helpful. The guy gave me a free upgrade to a superior room when I checked in even though I didn't have a reservation. We ended up checking out a day early because we both needed to get back to Phnom Penh and that was also "no problem". The housekeeping staff was great and very unintrusive. The complex is a little sprawling but everything is really clean and well kept. The main pool is saltwater and sparkling clean. There other guest ranged from a straight honeymooning couple to a family with children to a gay couple to me and my straight room mate so the guest profile is quite diverse. The breakfast included is simple but enough with eggs your way, a baguette, fruit and coffee. You can add menu items for $2 but I found it to be enough. The hotel is just down a dusty alleyway far enough to be fairly quiet but you can be on Pub Street across the canal in 15 minutes. It is right by the night market and the old market. It isn't a total luxury accommodation like can be had in Siem Reap but if you want something authentic and local, this place is more than fine. Check it out and I'm pretty sure you won't have any regrets.

Room Tip: The rooms around the pool on the second floor are really beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank timoray
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for several nights on our visit to Angkor Wat and we loved it.
The staff was super friendly and did a great job arranging all our tours and guides and transpo.
They keep it all in a log book and you sign off all along the way so there are no surprises at the end when checking out. The fact they keep all your charges in one bill is very convenient and relaxing as there is no need to carry money around the property. If you are relaxing by the pool and want a drink or snack, it comes and gets charged seamlessly to your room bill. At the the end all your charges are added up and you can pay by dollars, riel or credit card which is nice.
The room was very clean and the staff restocks your mini bar and bathroom daily.
The property is very well maintained and they clean the pool every morning. BTW, I would never dream of staying in Cambodia without a pool. The heat can really take it out of you and with hiking all around the temples and such, you almost can't wait to jump into a cold, clean body of water. This property maintains a salt water pool which is very nice on the skin without the extra chemicals.
A man from Holland is the owner and so the standards are very HIGH and European, so no need to worry about bugs or gross toilets or any of that stuff that can be a damper to an Asian Adventure.
They also have great access to guides for the temples, we got a young man named SANGHA, sounds like Songha, and he was pure magic. Very good english, very well trained and knew the history of the area better than most I am sure of that. He was orphaned because of the Khmer Rouge, so he came to Siem Reap to study as a monk at the monestary at Angkor Wat, so he knew so much more than someone who just came to this town to make money off the tourism boom. His stories were filled with facts and emotion and I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone who is looking to have a great visit. We didn't need him for all 3 days, but we wanted to be around him and his energy, so we hired him for everyday we went to the complex. He knew the best places to go to avoid the crowds, get amazing pictures and stop for lunch.
In the end, there would be no other choice for me in this town.
It seems like this town has embraced the tourism to crazy levels and you can have a "four seasons" type hotel experience or a dumpy guesthouse for next to nothing. This little boutique is a beautiful hybrid and i can't wait to come and stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor and you will have 12 foot ceilings and great views. WE loved being up...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gijon, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Golden Bananna was a really nice place to stay.
Rooms were big and clean with all the details. Nice swiming pool to rest after visit the temples. Very friendly staff.
5 min walk from the restaurants and market area.
Gay Friendy

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

It's a very nicely appointed hotel, quiet location, yet walking distance to old town and Pub Street. Friendly staff. Nice rooms. Comfy bed. Good wi-fi. If I had one suggestion it would be to have more consistent front desk/ reception staff. There's so much turnover there you explain something to one person and by the next day another person is there and the first person has not coordinated with the second. So things like extending reservations, booking a bus had to be done a few times over. Some language issues. We ordered a breakfast and changed our order, called the waiter over and told him. He said yes and then got us our original order anyway. We were like okay, he didn't get it, never mind we'll just eat this. Then he got us the new orders as well. And refused to do anything about it saying the kitchen had made it already. He should have just checked if two people really wanted four breakfasts. The staff is friendly and smiling but needs a little training on some issues like this especially as the hotel grows bigger. Other than that it was a very pleasant hotel and very nice to come back home to after a day of temple-hopping. It should introduce and push a happy hour on its rooftop more vigorously.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool facing balcony. Higher rooms have better views. But it's a steep stai...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pattaya, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I come to Siem Reap from Pattaya Thailand every month. Before I stayed for only 9 days. Now I will spend at least 15 days per month in Siem Reap. I've had to adjust my breakfast eatings and they were more than willing to accommodate me. I leave many things here so I don't have to lug them back and forth to Thailand monthly especially liquid stuff. And each time I arrive the A/C is on and the items I don't want are removed. I stay in a Superior room in the original part because the swimming pool is longer. Both swimming pools are salt water which means no ear infections. Have been coming here monthly since 2011 and will continue until "that bad place freezes over".

Room Tip: I have a huge room and no I won't tell you the number.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Fifi L
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Nice hotel in Siem Reap with 5 separate areas. Good clean rooms, reasonably priced. We had a great time with me and my family. The staff was friendly and the service was good. I would recommend the rooms in GB Villas II.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family