“Banana's baguettes!”

Ranked #123 of 486 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Banana's baguettes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

Although a decent place to stay for the price, good location and friendly staff, I mainly write this review to comment on the delectable baguettes served at the included breakfast -- they were superb! :) The rooms are fair, although the lighting (very dim) and pest control (better room seals, window seals) could use some work as well as water temperature (never warmed than lukewarm) in the very rustic showers. However, the location (just close enough to town but not in the middle of it) and super helpful staff as well as the aforementioned baguettes make it worth the price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank pleasantchaos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
Haiku, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

During our trip to Cambodia over the Christmas season this year, my travel companion and I stayed eight nights at the Golden Banana in Siem Reap. It had been recommended by some friends and since we found the name instantly hilarious, it seemed like a great place to start our holiday.
We chose to stay in the four-story building called Superior, which is one of the four buildings operated under the name Golden Banana at the three way intersection of two small lane-ways. (See my tips on choosing a room below)
We really liked being there. Even though it’s an older building, it’s very clean with a sense old colonial charm. Since we had requested a room with two beds, we were on the 2nd floor with one large and one smaller bed. The room was very spacious and had a nice big balcony area to sit outside. The decor is on the eccentric side, but that suited us just fine, we’re eccentrics ourselves.
The hotel staff and service was exemplary. They couldn’t have been more accommodating. Although everyone working there was very friendly and helpful, we were particularly impressed with the young man named, Sovann. He was extremely knowledgeable and efficient in helping us decide what to see and do, and then he made the necessary arrangements for us do it. He was a great help.
Some of the things we liked:
The hotel is within easy walking distance to the Old Market and restaurants.
There was a nice breakfast included.
We liked being on the east side of the river. It was quieter and less congested.
Advertised as gay-friendly, but it’s obviously an all friendly hotel.
Our temple guide, Nak, was excellent. His English was good, he was well informed, and we enjoyed his company.
Things to be aware of:
The stairs are quite steep in the building and require a little care in navigation.
If you are a bedtime reader, the bed-side reading lights are pretty bad. They are typical of Asia; low wattage and designed for mood, not function. Bring a book light.
We would stay at the Golden Banana again in a heartbeat. I’m sorry we made plans to leave before Christmas as it looked as though there was going to be a festive celebration.

Room Tip: I found the website a bit confusing when I booked our reservation. There were two websites covering...
3 Thank BALIFUN
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

The best feature of this hotel is the price. The rooms were also nice and pleasant. However, there is a lot of room for improvement. Here are a few areas that didn't work for us:

By far the most disappointing part was not being able to use the swimming pool, as this was a big reason why we stayed here. The water was not heated, so in the early morning and evening, when we were at the hotel, it was extremely cold to use. Perhaps that explains why no one was ever there.
The location is a little out of the way, a 10 minute walk from the center of town, but the hotel was quiet and peaceful.
The lights and air conditioning in the room turn off automatically during the day, so the room got stuffy hot very quickly.
The phone in my room was dead during my entire stay.
My friend's room didn't have warm water on our first two nights.
The day staff were knowledgeable, warm, and friendly. They were very helpful organizing a couple of day trips for us. But the night staff didn't know anything about anything, so they were not able to help with our needs and questions.

Overall, I recommend this hotel but I would encourage management to work on the upgrades needed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Moonbathing
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

To preface this review, we were in Siem Reap in early February of this year and stayed at the Golden Banana Boutique Hotel II for three nights, which we LOVED. If you are expecting that all four units offer the same experience - they don't. The B&B and the Superior have one owner while the Boutique Hotel has a different one; I don't know if this contributed to the sub-par experience I had at the B&B.

The day of my arrival, it seemed as if everything that could go wrong did. Firstly, the hotel did not send anyone to pick me up from the airport, despite the fact that I explicitly arranged a pickup via email. The wifi was not working for the entire duration of my stay, there was no hot water in my room, and when I ordered "amok" from the kitchen, I was told that they were out of fish for the day!

I was given room 3 the first night, which seems to be the most uncomfortable room in the hotel. This room is on the very top floor of some very steep stairs, which makes it very hot during the day and afternoon. The toilet tank was leaking, there was no hotel guide with menu/transportation options, and I did not receive a nice welcome kit that they give in the Boutique Hotel. The layout of room 3 is also rather awkward and uncomfortable.

I was in Siem Reap to run the half-marathon, so on my second night, I asked to be switched to a different room as I could barely walk post-race. The staff happily swapped me out, which was very nice of them, and room 11 was more spacious and nicely decorated, the toilet was not leaking water and the balcony was right above the pool. For lunch, they had fish when I asked for amok.

Otherwise, I was happy with the tropical décor and vibe of the Golden Banana. The complimentary breakfast is nice, although not very filling after a race (eggs, a small baguette, some fruit, OJ, and your choice of tea or coffee). Additional items run an extra $1 each.

The staff are very sweet, although the front desk staff at the B&B seem to be very young and a little inexperienced compared to those at the Boutique hotel. There was a lot of confusion over simple things such as ordering a tuk-tuk. The level of English can be variable.

Sightseeing tip: We booked our guide and tuk-tuk for touring the temples through the Golden Banana and were very pleased with the people they hired. I highly recommend hiring a guide, as you will learn WAY more about the temples than just going by yourself and reading from a guidebook. The good guides also know when to go to what temple to avoid the crowds.

Remember to bring USD, as that is the accepted currency everywhere in Cambodia. Don't even bother changing $ into Cambodian riel, as I learned the hard way. Not only do you lose money with the exchange rate, when you buy in riel, you pay more to use riel at local businesses, which is ridiculous as it's their currency after all. Stick with USD.

Room Tip: If you are placed in room 3, ask to change it asap. See my review above.
2 Thank Ann K
KeePeung, Owner at Golden Banana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
This may be true, but so as the room rate. Remember the room rate for the Boutique Hotel is double the Superior Hotel. So be fair when you are reading the review.
Many thanks.
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

Excellent location and fantastic staff who are always ready to help. We had a twin superior room for 3 nights in December. The booking was easy and we arranged for a airport pick up with no problems. The room was simple but well thought out with all you need available. Breakfast was a yummy serving of eggs and toast.

Guests need to be aware there are actually three Golden Banana's (a B&B, a hotel and a resort). All are located next to each other creating a little banana community. All are located a short 5 minute stroll from the main st. We really enjoyed out stay.

2 Thank keepcalmandcarry0n
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

Great location and a bit shabby but what do you expect for $25 per night? great staff, great pool, great atmosphere - I really enjoyed it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank trickydickdicky
spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

small garden and little houses/rooms sourronding it, access to swimming pool in other loacation next door.
a bit old and could do with a re paint or clean up. but kept clean and well run.
short walk to central market, bars and restaurants and central market
less than 5 mins