“Young and old will love it. ”

Angkor Archaeological Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$97.48*
and up
Private Tour: Angkor Wat and The Royal Temples...
Ranked #15 of 192 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Home to Angkor Wat, one of the largest religious complexes in the world, and a stunning array of 9th to 13th century temples built by the kings of the Khmer Empire. The Angkor Archaeological Park is breathtaking, and still the principal draw for every visitor to Siem Reap.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

As a family with two small kids it was great for us adults to see a bit of history and the kids had the chance to run around thru the jungle.
With small kids we think to take it easy and don't try and pack the whole site in by trying to see as much as possible. We always visited in the mornings and left the afternoons back at the hotel by the pool. This way the kids didn't get so tempted out and looked forward for the next day. Might not be something for everyone, but it worked great for us.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,574)
All reviews
in 34 reviews
"angkor"
in 560 reviews

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I think it was in Ho Chi Minh I ran into a guy that had already been to the Angkor complex, where I was still to go, who said that inevitable you will feel a little bit like Indiana Jones. I would say he was right. Later in the same city I ran into a guy giving me a schedule of exact times to be at exact locations, I didn't write anything down and did go about it my own way.
Many say you should see the sun rise, myself I didn't, did not simply see the meaning of it. There is always a certain length you will go to get the perfect photos for your album and I concluded that to be to far.
Depending on how big your company is there is a few ways of doing this. That guy with the schedule said to go by bike and that was what I decided for, many seems to do. A little pointer though where my MTB was excellent for 90% of the visit, it was also horrible for the rainy last 10% if you get what I mean. But bigger groups may choose tuctuc instead, I guess there is a breaking point where that will be cheaper than bikes. The bike though is a peaceful way of just biking around the temple ruins.
While the Angkor Wat is the best kept and most known, I actually thought many of the others gave me more, but that's maybe just me.
The only downside of the visit was two things, at Angkor Thom this ticket controller tried to hook me up with a tour to some other temple the next day, I got a fishy feeling about this guy especially as he asked where I'd parked my bike. The second thing was in one of the last temples I ran into this duo of tourist policemen that threw a guide tour on me in the temple, as i was western and their uniform said police I was taking a little by surprise as he wanted a "donation" upon finish. He sad I didn't need to pay, which I didn't. It left me though with a creepy feeling and ruined my exploration of this specific ruin.

1  Thank Fredrik N
Reviewed February 5, 2014

It was fantastic to be in the Park and it would be best if you had more time to walk around the ruins and admire the different views in detail and from different angles

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Go early. Hire your own private guide and set off at the crack of dawn to appreciate the magic. Private guides can probably be organised at your hotel, or do it before you go if you are part of a tour as the magic is definitely lost if you are one of many and have to wait for people in the loo!!