“One of the wonder”

Ranked #5 of 180 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Home to Angkor Wat, one of the largest religious complexes in the world, and a stunning array of 9th to 13th century temples built by the kings of the Khmer Empire. The Angkor Archaeological Park is breathtaking, and still the principal draw for every visitor to Siem Reap.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Subic, Philippines
281 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“One of the wonder”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

3 time I visit Angkor complex in for the last 13 years, and I can see there is a lot of changes now on good and bad. It is easier to cóme around now, but also a lot of more commercial

• Chinese (Traditional) first
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 333 helpful votes
“A must-see”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was truely a "wow experience" for us! Gorgeous temple complexes very much intact! Obviously, a guide is needed to really appreciate what you are looking at. I suppose a good guide-book can suffice for the budget-minded. Just don't go and gawk. Know what you're looking at.

1 Thank LQGuy
Singapore, Singapore
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Must Visit”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Nobody visits Cambodia without a visit to the park.

I am not a fan of history or museums but this place amazes me with the architecture. Pity we only have half a day to cover the place and we only manage the Angkor Thom, Angkor Wat and the Bayon. A lot of walking to do and not suited for the elderly.

Phuket, Thailand
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Everything is very well organized”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The entire Angkor Archaeological Park area is outstanding. Everything is very well organized, well run and in great condition.

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“An amazing experience”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I visited Angkor at the end of a 3 month trip touring SE Asia. I had stopped visiting temples some weeks before as I did not want to be "templed-out". I opted for the 3 day pass. A 1 day pass costs $20 and a 3 day pass is $40. I think the other option was a 7 day pass for $60 but as I am not a massive history or archeological buff 7 days was definitely too long for me.

I think most people agree that the big 3 to see are Angkor Wat, The Bayon and Ta Prohm. It's definitely possible to do these in 1 day and even visit some other smaller temples as well as Angkor Thom. I would recommend a tuk tuk to do this. I think a car just isn't as much fun. Be sure to bring plenty of water, a hat and sunscreen. You also can't enter some temples if you have bare shoulders.

Sunrise at Angkor is touristy but amazing and worth the 4am wake up all. I only tried sunset once and it was too cloudy.

I hired a tuk tuk to visit Banteay Srei which is about 30km away from Siem Reap. I can't say the temple itself was worth it but the drive was really pretty. On the same day we visited some of the Roulos temples, again not amazing. We also stopped at Banteay Samre which I loved. It was very quiet and had some great photo opportunities.

You should also consider renting a bike. Obviously on a bike you will struggle to cover as much ground but its a good option for day 3 to revisit your favorite temple or see a new temple. I cycled the Grand Circuit (26km I think), leaving my hostel at 5am to avoid the midday/afternoon heat. It was wonderful. I visited Preah Kahn which was another of my favorites. Very atmospheric with no crowds.

I did not hire a guide. I'm not a big history buff and wanted to just see the key sites at my own speed. I downloaded a great guide on my iPad. Cambodia: The Temples of Angkor. One of the Approach Guides. Written by David and Jennifer Raezer. It has profiles of the temples, tips on key features to look out for as well as photos and detailed directions on finding them (eg behind the 8th column on the left).

3 Thank Anne L