“Everything is very well organized”

Angkor Archaeological Park
Ranked #5 of 179 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Home to Angkor Wat, one of the largest religious complexes in the world, and a stunning array of 9th to 13th century temples built by the kings of the Khmer Empire. The Angkor Archaeological Park is breathtaking, and still the principal draw for every visitor to Siem Reap.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Phuket, Thailand
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Everything is very well organized”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

The entire Angkor Archaeological Park area is outstanding. Everything is very well organized, well run and in great condition.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“An amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I visited Angkor at the end of a 3 month trip touring SE Asia. I had stopped visiting temples some weeks before as I did not want to be "templed-out". I opted for the 3 day pass. A 1 day pass costs $20 and a 3 day pass is $40. I think the other option was a 7 day pass for $60 but as I am not a massive history or archeological buff 7 days was definitely too long for me.

I think most people agree that the big 3 to see are Angkor Wat, The Bayon and Ta Prohm. It's definitely possible to do these in 1 day and even visit some other smaller temples as well as Angkor Thom. I would recommend a tuk tuk to do this. I think a car just isn't as much fun. Be sure to bring plenty of water, a hat and sunscreen. You also can't enter some temples if you have bare shoulders.

Sunrise at Angkor is touristy but amazing and worth the 4am wake up all. I only tried sunset once and it was too cloudy.

I hired a tuk tuk to visit Banteay Srei which is about 30km away from Siem Reap. I can't say the temple itself was worth it but the drive was really pretty. On the same day we visited some of the Roulos temples, again not amazing. We also stopped at Banteay Samre which I loved. It was very quiet and had some great photo opportunities.

You should also consider renting a bike. Obviously on a bike you will struggle to cover as much ground but its a good option for day 3 to revisit your favorite temple or see a new temple. I cycled the Grand Circuit (26km I think), leaving my hostel at 5am to avoid the midday/afternoon heat. It was wonderful. I visited Preah Kahn which was another of my favorites. Very atmospheric with no crowds.

I did not hire a guide. I'm not a big history buff and wanted to just see the key sites at my own speed. I downloaded a great guide on my iPad. Cambodia: The Temples of Angkor. One of the Approach Guides. Written by David and Jennifer Raezer. It has profiles of the temples, tips on key features to look out for as well as photos and detailed directions on finding them (eg behind the 8th column on the left).

3 Thank Anne L
Manila, Philippines
227 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 543 helpful votes
“A Day Tour Experience of Angkor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Angkor Archaeological Park comprises endless number of temples and sites that it would take several days or even weeks to see them all especially for students of archaeology and history. Major sites however can be seen in one day provided a good plan and spontaneous tour is arranged ahead. The best way is to get an accredited tour guide and a taxi to help you get around. Taking a Tuktuk is a little less expensive but I would recommend it for a 3-day or 1 week tour packages. The exhausting heat, going up and down the temples, long walk plus the extensiveness of the sites are physically taxing and will limit one's mobility with a tuktuk.
Fortunately for us, I contacted Nak Seongmo, a college sophomore who drives his own taxi to pursue his studies. He was the one who drove us from the airport to the hotel. Cambodians are wonderful people and Nak was exceptionally polite, honest, warm, caring and safe driver. He had prepared cold bottles of water in the car, would take us pictures, brought us to good restaurants, and tell what would be safe and best for us. He was very knowledgeable of Cambodian history, places (particularly within Siem Reap) and its people. He even shared his own experiences and that of his family and the life in rural Siem Reap. I learned so many things from him about Kampuchea, the Angkor temples, the Khmer Empire, the Pol Pot's regime and present day Cambodia. Its like we had a tourist guide and driver in one :)
On the day of tour, we got up early, bring extra clothes, proceeded to get a day tour pass then catched the sunrise at Angkor Wat while enjoying an early morning walk in and out of this impressive temple. After 2-3 hours we took breakfast at the nearby Angkor Cafe just across the road facing the west gate of Angkor Wat. Next we proceed to Angkor Thom and Bayon Temple all the way to see the old Royal Palace going out towards the Terraces of Elephants. Before noon, we proceeded towards Ta Prohm and had lunch in a restaurant nearby after which we spent about 1-2 hours to see giant trees grew within this temple inside the forest. Bantaey Srei was the next destination, some 27 kms noth-east. Here you'll see the pink temple oftentimes referred to as the 'Lady Temple' where carvings and wall designs are ostentatiously elegant & elaborate and stone statues are well preserved. A refreshing snack here plus souvenir shopping was a good option before heading back south towards Pre Rup to see the sunset before 6pm.. A sumptuous dinner after some stroll / shopping at Siem Reap's Night Market completes the day.
Nak waited long in the car park and volunteered to drive us back to the airport for our late night flight back to Manila. All these (services) for only US$50 he asked from us. In appreciation of the wonderful experience we had in Siem Reap - Nak Seongmo being a very BiG part of it - we gave him something beyond his expectation to which he was tearfully thankful. I proudly recommends Nak if you're planning to visit Siem Reap soon , contact him at nangnak_angkor@yahoo.com

Visited May 2013
3 Thank TravelBug1469
Amsterdam
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“The reason to visit Siem Reap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

and indeed, perhaps even the reason to consider a visit to Cambodia in the first place. Recommend a 3-day pass.

Visited March 2013
singapore
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Awesome!! A must-visit destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

It has taken me a long time to finally getting round to visit Angkor Wat with my family. We finally realized our wish in June. We thought it would be really hot but the rain the previous day had cooled the weather considerably. The structures were truly impressive. My favorites were Angkor Wat, the Bayon and Ta Prohm. Some advice for visitors: you can definitely see all the major sights in one day, unless you are an avid historian. Get an accredited guide and a car to take you around. Saves a lot of time. Start off your day at 530 am to watch the sunrise at Angkor Wat. By 830, you should be able to complete all of Angkor Wat. This would be a good time to stop and have breakfast. The next stops would be the various structures at Angkor Thom. Depending on how fast you view the main structures, you could finish them all by 2 to 4pm. Next, you could extend your visit to Bantaey Srei, which would be a good 45 min drive. I highly recommend taking the drive out to see it. It is quite a small temple compared to the others but the carvings and stone statues are really well preserved. Finally, you can visit Pre Rup to see the sunset at 6pm. This would be a good 12 to 13 hour day, but it wasn't rushed, neither was it too tiring. The key to doing this route is to hire a car and guide. Can't do this on tuk tuk, it would be too tiring and hot given the heat. For me and my family, one day is enough to take in all the major sights and learn about the history of the temples and the people living at that time.
We went there during what was considered the low season, so it isn't as packed as what was described by some postings. However, being such a famous tourist destination, you will expect some crowd. June isn't as hot as Feb to May, and since its the low season, many of the restaurants and massage places in Siem Reap are rather quiet.
Cambodians are generally friendly people and a number of them speak English with an American accent. We went horse riding passing through villages and the children were all very friendly waving and saying hi to us. We left Siem Reap with a really good impression of Cambodia and I learnt a lot of history about the Magnificent Khmer empire of ages past and the monuments of their legacy.

4 Thank tour-birds