“"Delivers what it promised"”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Angkor Pearl Hotel

Angkor Pearl Hotel
Ranked #85 of 337 Hotels in Siem Reap
Manila Philippines
“"Delivers what it promised"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

I am pleased to stay here..and I believe the hotel's asset relies on polite, courteous staff.

Upon arriving I never thought I will be given some welcome drinks, and some cold towel to beat the heat after a 5 hour car ride from Phnom Penh.

The hotel is also affiliated with the new Angkor Museum and in just a matter of few minutes, the museum staff came to pick us up!

We had a worry free trip of the Angkor Wat, and other temples and everything from car transfers, guide were arranged by the hotel to your liking

The hotel no matter quaint and small it may seem, boasts of very courteous and polite staff. Thank you, and for sure--I will recommend this hotel to friends for a siem reap adventure!

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

An excellent hotel. Staff very attentive, they couldnt do enough for you. Hotel and Restaurant very good value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

Booking and communication via internet was smooth! We stayed only 2 nights for USD $50 for a suite! Big bed, huge room... we did not intend to swim thus the stay was value for money. On the day of arrival, the hotel provided a tuk tuk driver to pick us up from the Airport - complimentary!

Even though check-in was stated only at 2pm, we reached Angkor Pearl as early as 7:30 am. We had breakfast in their small restaurant and our room was ready by 8 am.

The hotel is situated in between some row of shophouses (unlike the grand hotels), but it is totally fine as we were always traveling in a tuk tuk. If we were to travel a single tuk tuk ride from hotel to the bustling Old Market/Night Market, it will take us about few minutes at only USD $1.

Except that the bathtub area was small (even for me, an asian), we were very satisfied with the room. Multiple international TV programs (even korean and Hong Kong shows) are screened, but they have Khmer voiceover. Most of the time we watch Animal Planet, Discovery Channel and Cartoon Network!

Most staff speak basic english, even the security guard was friendly and remembered their guests.

The best experience in the hotel would be massage service after a long day. For only USD $5, you get an hour of traditional khmer full body massage (Must try!), $7 for one and half hour, $10 for two hours! My partner and I did two hours for both nights! The massage ladies were decent, skillful and friendly. On the 2nd night of massage we booked the same ladies again. We thought it was even more worth it than those massage services along the Old Market as ours was held in our hotel room, after our shower and feeling refreshed.

Enough said, this is perfect for us as we were traveling on budget yet we get to stay in the hotel suite with wonderful experience with their staff.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Placentia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

We stayed at the Angkor Pearl for two nights with several family members. The rooms were comfortable and the hotel splendidly decorated and the hotel staff were so friendly and helpful! The hotel had great tuk-tuk drivers like Sam who were so helpful, he took us all around Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples, he was so helpful with the children and was a very knowledgeable tour guide! I cannot say enough nice things about the Angkor Pearl and Sam the Tuk-Tuk Driver!! They made our stay in Cambodia most memorable!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

We weren't sure about the Angkor Pearl, but it received excellent reviews on Trip Advisor---and boy are we glad we listened!!
The staff are very polite and courteous. The room was very clean. Comfy beds. Hot water and AC! (You don't often get those for under $20)
We also hired a Tuk Tuk through the hotel to take us to the temples. His name is Tien. He's Fantastic!!!! We werent too sure about what we wanted to see, so we let Tien take us where ever he wanted. It was awesome! One day he's hoping to be a tour guide so at each temple, he gave us a run down o it's history. You certainly don't need to hire a tour guide if Tien is your driver!

• Stayed February 2011
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

I really enjoyed my trip in siem reap , esp at Angkor pearl hotel , the room is beautitful , clean and staffs are friendly and i just love everything about angkor pearl :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

My mom and I are Chinese, we went to Siem Reap from Feb. 21 to Feb.25. On Feb. 23, I forgot to lock the suitcase before we went to see the sunrise, and when we came back after dinner, I found my money was gone. All my 637 dollar and 685 ringgit!!! Manager of the hotel said that, they didn't take the responsibility for any loss, it's all my fault. Well, I have a travel insurance, what I need is just a report. I call the emergency number 012-969991, but no one answer the phone! I just ask the manager for help, but he even don't know the phone number!!!
After the cops come, they just asked me and the housekeeper what happened. When the housekeeper explain, I found she knew what I put in my suitcase, and she even knew exactly which is at the bottom and which is on the top!!! After I scream for investigate, they search the room, and then just standing there chat with the housekeeper!!! Cops said that they cannot find the money, and also cannot find the thief. If I wanna make sure the housekeeper took my money or not, they can take her to swear just like what they did in ancient times!!!
Finally, cops gave a report in Cambodian to the manager, and ask him to translate into English for me. All the tourist cops CANNOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!! But the manager took the report away,he said that they don't take the responsibility, if he gave me the report, that means it's their fault!!! I explain to them again and again that I just need a report to prove my loss, so I can go to claim. But he didn't gave it to me, he just said that he will discuss with the police and gave me a final answer the day after, because they are tired, they wanna go to sleep!!!
The day after a Cambodian-Chinese lady heard we talking about my loss in the hotel, and she helped us to argue with them. The manager refused to give me that report, because he's afraid that I would sue him, even I explain several times that I just want to claim!!! No matter how many times I ask them to call the cops, the manager just told me that the cops won't show up. They just don't take the responsibility, and they just won't gave me the report!!!
They said that they own another hotel near old market, and they have lots of guests. They don't care about their reputation.

Finally, with the great help of the Cambodian-Chinese lady, I got $200 from the hotel.

Next time I'll remember to take all the money with me!!!!
Because there's no law at all!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
17 Thank Pat_Tang
ahmuynih, Manager at Angkor Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review regarding
your most recent stay with us at Angkor Pearl Hotel. The situation that
took place during your stay was one that was very unfortunate. Safety and
Security is one of our key focuses for our guests. The hotel continues to
advise all of our guests to please travel responsibly. In doing our part,
we provide each guests the rules and regulations in each room. One rule
states “The management regrets to inform you that we can’t be held
responsible for any loss in the room. Valuables can be left in the Hotel
Safe during your stay.” We provide this amenity to try to prevent
inconveniences in order for all of our guests to have a great stay with us
without worry for their belongings.

We understood you carried travel insurance and were advised by your
insurance company that they could not insure loss of money. We have the
same policy because it is very difficult to prove how much currency our
guests carries, unless it was documented before leaving it in the safe
with management. Standard Policy of leaving your valuables with the Hotel
Safe includes both parties signing off on what is placed in the safe and a
copy of the signed agreement is given to the guest, in turn leaving the
hotel fully responsible.

We were not able to provide an appropriate report due to the lack of
knowledge of the true amount lost. We were put in an uncomfortable
situation when you asked us to help fabricate a receipt to provide your
insurance company to claim it back in your country. This would’ve
compromise our values as a company.
We care highly of our reputation for both establishments and carry the
same ethical standards. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding from the
Cambodian/Chinese translator.

Cambodia is a developing country, but there are laws. We hope you
understand that we tried our very best to handle the situation in the most
lawful way possible without jeopardizing either party’s reputation. The
loss of your valuables is truly regrettable, but we had hoped that the
final decision of management to lessen your loss by offering some
severance and comping your stay would alleviate some of the stress during
your stay with us. In essence, as we parted ways, your “thank you” and
smile was one which we interpreted that everything was kosher and that you
were satisfied with the result, under the circumstances. Unfortunately,
there still seemed to be some misunderstandings, but do hope that the
explanation above clarifies some Policies and Procedures we uphold within
our organization.

We thank you for your patronage and wish you safe travels on your next trip!