“637 dollar and 685 ringgit was stolen in the room!!!!!!”
Review of Angkor Pearl Hotel

Angkor Pearl Hotel
Ranked #89 of 354 Hotels in Siem Reap
Shanghai, China
“637 dollar and 685 ringgit was stolen in the room!!!!!!”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

My mom and I are Chinese, we went to Siem Reap from Feb. 21 to Feb.25. On Feb. 23, I forgot to lock the suitcase before we went to see the sunrise, and when we came back after dinner, I found my money was gone. All my 637 dollar and 685 ringgit!!! Manager of the hotel said that, they didn't take the responsibility for any loss, it's all my fault. Well, I have a travel insurance, what I need is just a report. I call the emergency number 012-969991, but no one answer the phone! I just ask the manager for help, but he even don't know the phone number!!!
After the cops come, they just asked me and the housekeeper what happened. When the housekeeper explain, I found she knew what I put in my suitcase, and she even knew exactly which is at the bottom and which is on the top!!! After I scream for investigate, they search the room, and then just standing there chat with the housekeeper!!! Cops said that they cannot find the money, and also cannot find the thief. If I wanna make sure the housekeeper took my money or not, they can take her to swear just like what they did in ancient times!!!
Finally, cops gave a report in Cambodian to the manager, and ask him to translate into English for me. All the tourist cops CANNOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!! But the manager took the report away,he said that they don't take the responsibility, if he gave me the report, that means it's their fault!!! I explain to them again and again that I just need a report to prove my loss, so I can go to claim. But he didn't gave it to me, he just said that he will discuss with the police and gave me a final answer the day after, because they are tired, they wanna go to sleep!!!
The day after a Cambodian-Chinese lady heard we talking about my loss in the hotel, and she helped us to argue with them. The manager refused to give me that report, because he's afraid that I would sue him, even I explain several times that I just want to claim!!! No matter how many times I ask them to call the cops, the manager just told me that the cops won't show up. They just don't take the responsibility, and they just won't gave me the report!!!
They said that they own another hotel near old market, and they have lots of guests. They don't care about their reputation.

Finally, with the great help of the Cambodian-Chinese lady, I got $200 from the hotel.

Next time I'll remember to take all the money with me!!!!
Because there's no law at all!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
17 Thank Pat_Tang
ahmuynih, Manager at Angkor Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review regarding
your most recent stay with us at Angkor Pearl Hotel. The situation that
took place during your stay was one that was very unfortunate. Safety and
Security is one of our key focuses for our guests. The hotel continues to
advise all of our guests to please travel responsibly. In doing our part,
we provide each guests the rules and regulations in each room. One rule
states “The management regrets to inform you that we can’t be held
responsible for any loss in the room. Valuables can be left in the Hotel
Safe during your stay.” We provide this amenity to try to prevent
inconveniences in order for all of our guests to have a great stay with us
without worry for their belongings.

We understood you carried travel insurance and were advised by your
insurance company that they could not insure loss of money. We have the
same policy because it is very difficult to prove how much currency our
guests carries, unless it was documented before leaving it in the safe
with management. Standard Policy of leaving your valuables with the Hotel
Safe includes both parties signing off on what is placed in the safe and a
copy of the signed agreement is given to the guest, in turn leaving the
hotel fully responsible.

We were not able to provide an appropriate report due to the lack of
knowledge of the true amount lost. We were put in an uncomfortable
situation when you asked us to help fabricate a receipt to provide your
insurance company to claim it back in your country. This would’ve
compromise our values as a company.
We care highly of our reputation for both establishments and carry the
same ethical standards. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding from the
Cambodian/Chinese translator.

Cambodia is a developing country, but there are laws. We hope you
understand that we tried our very best to handle the situation in the most
lawful way possible without jeopardizing either party’s reputation. The
loss of your valuables is truly regrettable, but we had hoped that the
final decision of management to lessen your loss by offering some
severance and comping your stay would alleviate some of the stress during
your stay with us. In essence, as we parted ways, your “thank you” and
smile was one which we interpreted that everything was kosher and that you
were satisfied with the result, under the circumstances. Unfortunately,
there still seemed to be some misunderstandings, but do hope that the
explanation above clarifies some Policies and Procedures we uphold within
our organization.

We thank you for your patronage and wish you safe travels on your next trip!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Virginia
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Great value and a good location. We were able to walk to the night market and tons of restaurants with no problem - plus the money we saved on the room allowed us to spend a little more on dinner and shopping! Staff was wonderful, helped arrange a fabulous guide and driver last minute for our 3 days touring Angkor Walk.

Rooms are clean, roomy, air conditioned (very important) and comfortable. Would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This was a great place to stay for 5 nights, and at a very reasonable price. The included breakfast was tasy and filling. There was free wifi in all rooms. Inexpensive laundry service. The staff was top-notch. They arranged drivers for me, gave me directions and recommendations for places to eat, arranged for an in-room massage (also inexpensive) and booked my bus ticket for me. Upone checking in they had a cool cloth and cold fruit juice waiting for me. One of the staff spent several minutes with me while I practiced my khmer. I would stay there again and would recommend the hotel to friends. About a 10 minute walk to the market and nightlife areas of Siem Reap, but on a quiet side street away from the hubbub.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 22, 2011

A friend and I stayed here last month while touring Angkor Wat and really loved it. We stayed three nights before moving on to Battambang, and the staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was really nice and clean and so relaxing after days of temple wandering. We booked it online way in advance and got a great rate ($18/night). It ended up being one of the nicer hotels we stayed in overall.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We arrived in Siem Reap late at night with nothing actually planned. The hotel staff was able to secure us a tuk tuk and a guide for temple touring the next day and gave us great advice on where to go for dining and sightseeing. We were lucky enough to get a suite, which was very spacious, clean and beautiful. There was even a balcony with a beautiful view, perfect for enjoying a leisurely breakfast in the morning.
They've really thought through what amenities their guests would like and the staff do a fantastic job of helping with whatever questions or requests you may have. They are all extremely friendly, and the effort they put into the service really shines through.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oliphaunte
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed February 18, 2011

It is by far the best for the value hotel I stayed at during my Cambodia bicycle tour. I came to Siem Reap a little exhausted after an eleven hour boat trip from Battambang. My bicycle needed some adjustment, I stopped at a few hotels, this seemed to be a little too much I was going to spend on, but it was dark and I was tired. The staff seemed to be very generous and they agreed I could take my bicycle inside my room. I guess I paid $20 for a very clean, bright and cozy room. There was enough space to unload and adjust my bike, the sleep was excellent, the shower in the morning was great. Breakfast. It was simple but delicious. The staff was very kind and assisting, they helped me with the bus ticket to Viet Nam, appreciate their efforts at a very busy Chinese New Year period. There's a lot to see in the vicinities. Excellent seafood restaurant and a great bicycle store just a couple of blocks away (Taphul Village). Try adjacent food stalls, too. The papaya shake right by adjacent intersection (run by mr. Lim) is simply the best I ever tried. I spent three nights here and if I ever come back to Siem Reap - I know where to stay. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Looking at the reviews there is not much to say that has not already been told. I can but reiterate. A very nice basic hotel, with super staff who are all most helpful. At 20/25 USD it is exceptional value.
I will mention there is not the opportunity to interact with other travellers because the reception and bar area just alongside are not used to relax with a coffe or beer. I dont know why.
Expecting my wife to be with me, I had booked a $25 room. (Room 7 GF) No view I admit, but the rear so nice and quiet. (Except the occasional cockeral !!) very good size with large sitting area. Tea/Coffee fridge.
Location is very good. Some nice restrauants within 10 minute walk, and "Pub Street" is about 15minutes.
All in all a good choice, I would reccomend to my friends.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo