“Be aware of Mr. K!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sawasdee Angkor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Sawasdee Angkor Inn
Ranked #406 of 500 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Be aware of Mr. K!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked a trip to Siam Reap to see the temples in Bangkok and the Sawasdee Angkor Inn was our guest house.
After we arrived in the evening, Mr. K tried to sell us an overpriced temple tour. We told him that we've already booked a tour in advance to avoid getting a trash tour.
The room was clean, food was bad - but at all ok (we only stayed in the hotel for sleeping).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank silviaelstermann

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We arrived from Bangkok and after a long day of travelling we were taken here by our tuk tuk driver who was clearly involved with the hotel as they were all very pushy for us to stay. It was late and the hotel looked fine so we decided to stay. At this point the staff were all friendly enough. We wanted to sort out how we were going to see Angkor Watt ourselves but the management clearly wanted us to book through their tours and were insistent that we should meet with them. We managed to avoid this but afterwards received hostile treatment from the staff - to the point where they were swearing at us and refusing to give back our laundry in order that we stay another night. We left as quickly as we could after they made our friend pay twice for her laundry.

This is the worst place we stayed in SE Asia - AVOID!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Hamburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Little bit surprised about the negative reviews from the other guests...we stayed in the hotel for three nights. Located in the city center it takes 5 minutes walk to the main pub / party street. The hotel is clean and quiet at night, the staff is very kind and professional. The room we stayed in was comfy and nicely designed in colonial style with an eye for detail, toilets matched european standards. Breakfast is average, but the food one can choose from the menu for dinner was really delicious. The extra services one can book at the reception seem comparably expensive at first (we had a driver for two days and a guide for one), but the quality makes more than up for it. The whole day guide for Angkor Wat was fluent in EN (he actually has graduated in English Literature as we've learned) and provided A LOT of detailed info about the sights, temples and their history. If you're really want to learn about a country you've got to get in touch with the locals (and that's tough b/c hardly anyone speaks EN there) We learned more about the country, people and mentality than in any online blog, travel guide or TV documentary before. He also made sure we were asked fair prices (the lowest possible is NOT always the fairest) and showed us spots apart from tourist mainstream. We wouldn't have gotten the same opportunities without the arrangement of the hotel.
All in all a very good choice for Siem Reap with an excellent price performance ratio. Anytime again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Choosing this place to stay on my 4 day trip to Siem Reap was a huge mistake. The hotel manager, who I had actually read in some previous reviews was helpful, scammed me big time. He pushed for me to pay money for a tour the second I arrived and once I paid wouldn't give me a receipt. It turned out it was WAY over priced. Not only this, he also insisted on "helping" me find accommodation for my stay in Phnom Penh, in which he made a $22 for each night I stayed, as the rooms cost $8, but he charged me $30. Also, he charged me $30 for a bus to Phnom Penh, but the ticket cost $12. I felt totally taken for a ride. All I can say is do not stay here. The rooms dusty and never got cleaned (even though I stayed 4 nights), the wifi only worked in the lobby area and the location was dark and creepy. More than this, I felt unsafe because he had completely ripped me off and therefore I didn't trust him. No one in the facility except him spoke any English at all so if he wasn't around there was no one to help you. Save yourself the trouble, find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed in SAI for 1 night which was included in the package I got from Eraween Travel on Khao San Road in Bangkok. It was 900 baht per person which included an AC room.
So technically it was okay for value for money.
Leaving aside the Visa scam the taxi driver from Bangkok to Poipet tries to pull off by taking you to the fake Cambodian counsulate and charging more than the 20$ fees, the overall journey was great !

As for the hotel, as everyone else mentioned the manager told us to meet us in another 1/2 hour which we didn't. But yeah when we were going out in the evening, he told us about the 25$ a day tuk-tuk with a guide. We simply told him that we already had bookings with other friends in other hotels and politely refused.

Thats it. We enjoyed our hotel stay and all went smooth !

Room Tip: Always bargain for an AC room. It has both an AC and a fan. Also try not to get the second floor as...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

From the beginning you have to watch your back! Like everybody else his says you have to go o the room for a shower and come back after an hour. Then he wants you to sell you a three day Angkor what tour for 80$. The average for one day tuk tuk is maybe 12$ a day. So this is a criminal rip off and he pays the Tuktuk driver only 4$ a day. So the rest goes to him. It's sad because the driver was the best ever. Everything we asked the Tuktuk driver he did so we gave him a good tip. So NEVER EVER COME TO THIS PLACE!!! It's only money the manager thinks off and his employees gets nothing, that's probably why the manager has een huge American full option jeep. To bad for the friendly employees but please go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Schullywully
Haarlem
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

A one night stay in this hotel was included in a travel package from BKK to Siem Reap. Although the hotel looked nice and pretty and the room was nice (with a balcony and wifi), the smell was awful (cat(s) obviously urinating ìn the hotel) and the staff was trying to take the money out of your pocket asap. Besides that, the first thing the receptionist spoke out, was about his tiredness and paining ankle. He was complaining and telling he wanted to go home.
As said in other reviews, after arriving I got told to refresh and come back with my passport after half an hour. When I came back after 10 minutes, he wanted me to come back in half an hour. I stayed, because I wanted to get informed about Angkor Wat for the next day. In the end he 'helped' me, selling me a tuktuk for $ 30 and made me pay to much for my busticket to Sihanoukville. Although I got my money back afterwards, it was quite awkard. He never asked me about my passport though.
Next day I went to Jasmine Garden Villa to stay for one more night in Siem Reap. A great relief with lovely staff! (Check my review)

P.S. He also told me to leave Siem Reap after one day, there was nothing much to do according to him...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo