“Poor experience”

Dining options: Dinner
brussels
“Poor experience”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

First night in Siem reap I travelled trough "Pub Street" and was attracted by the nice seating ...it was a big mistake ...the spring rolls were not good and I did not finished them ..same for the main dish which I bearely touched ...I payed the bill and went elsewhere ...

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank pbxl1

Hastings, United Kingdom
“Expensive and not authentic Indian”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I had dinner here to change from Cambodian food after a few days. My Tiger prawn thali was cooked somewhere else, the prawns were not tiger prawns just 5 sad normal prawns and it was not even hot. The service was slow and not too attentive. For the price it was very poor indeed.

2 Thank SuperStinaLina
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Used to be my favorite Indian restaurant in Siem Reap. Alas, no more!”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The Samsara used to be my regular Indian restaurant until "Le Tigre de Papier" took over. Make no mistake: (most of) the food is still pretty good, but service is a shambles. Not really the fault of the staff I figure, more a case of the owner of "Le Tigre" trying to be a jack-of-all-trades and ending up being master of none.

Alarm bells should have gone off when we saw the menu as it offers not only Indian but also Khmer, Pizza, Western and I don't know what else. Anyway, we ordered drinks and food and then watched the show unfold. Nothing is cooked in that restaurant anymore, food came from different directions, but not sure from where. Even drinks came from different directions, which probably explains why I never did get my Lassi.

I understand that synergy is not a bad thing, but when my garlic Naan tastes more like a burnt pizza base, and had the consistency of concrete, then that is taking synergies too far. And what the heck was a steak and two forks (but no spoon) doing in my cutlery set-up? Let me guess: same set-up for all the restaurants?

As I said, most of the food was still petty good. However, portions have shrunk a lot (not the prices though), I managed to find exactly 3 pieces of Mutton in my curry; with one piece so tough it was not possible to eat.

The final straw was when I went to the restroom to wash my hands (I eat Indian food with my hand), watched by all the staff. It was only after I soaped up my hands that I realized there was no water. Would have been nice if the staff had told me beforehand.

It is rare that I complain in a restaurant but on this occasion I did ask for the manager to complain. He hardly managed to open his mouth to mumble a "sorry" and obviously couldn't care less!

Not a good experience and I will give the Samsara a miss in the future.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank hannostamm
Broome, Australia
“Top little Indian Restaurant”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This small Indian Restaurant is in the alley that runs next to Pub Street in Siem Reap. There are heaps of restaurants to choose from in this street but we both felt like Indian, so we gave this restaurant a shot. We are very glad we did.
It has a great menu, with all the Indian favourites available. It was good to sit near the outside & watch all the goings on in this little alley.
We chose Tandori Chicken, Mutton Rogan Josh, Butter Chicken, Basmati rice, garlic naan & raita. All were beautifully cooked, very tasty & spiced just right to give a nice amount of heat without setting your mouth on fire. Both Indian & Cambodian beer available on the menu.
There is an ice cream cart set up opposite the restaurant, on the other side of the alley if you need to cool your taste buds down after your meal.
Great food, service & atmosphere at a very resonable price.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank Mark D
Melbourne, Australia
“Indian chef??? really there isnt even a kitchen attached!!!”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

we went tp this restaurant on the previous review. Its in a side alley parallel to Pub Street and that would be about the only accurate thing. It is a small shop front with tables inside and out with counter at the back and what appears to be small room behind this. after we ordered the waitress walked down the alley and round a corner and appeared again with our drinks. this was the same situation for the food and even the condiments. all were brought in from other restaurants. when we asked the waitress she said it was from the paper tiger restaurant around the corner!!!!. Mmm that would have explained their menu and flyer also on each table!! sorry but not sure where the indian chef appear from but it certainly wasnt from the kitchen at Samsara. Maybe too many beers and seeing things. Me thinks the previous and glowing review was written by a party attached to the restaurant. Food was ok but really coming from another kitchen??? Seems best to find your own great restaurants not go by reviews.

• Visited March 2011