“Eco Adventure at it's finest”
Review of Sam Veasna Center

Sam Veasna Center
Ranked #67 of 190 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: SVC are a wildlife conservation organisation, running Cambodia's only birding and wildlife ecotours and safaris. From 1 day 'Temples and Wildlife' around Angkor Wat or the outlying temples, to 25 day epic birding and wildlife tours across the country to some of the most remote and remarkable habitats to see Cambodia's critically endangered species. From our wildlife ecolodges in the wild Northern Plains, to Gibbon spotting and jungle trekking with the indigenous Bunong in Seima, Mondulkiri every experience is custom made and totally unique. Our work in conservation and community based ecotourism gives us exclusive access to many of the Wildlife Sanctuaries and Protected Forests - taking our clients places nobody else can with the very best chance to see the incredible wildlife of The Kingdom of Wonder. Partnering with WCS Cambodia, our work directly contributes to population growth and stability of some of the world's most endangered species, a reduction in habitat loss and the stengthening of rurual economies in our communities. It gives you a chance to be part of this too.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This was like something a national geographic photo expedition would do. It was an all day affair but very well worth the time and money. We had a very passionate,professional, and knowledgable guide. We went on the 29th of November 2013 and actually spotted 38 different species of birds

1  Thank joe a
"bird life"
"wide variety of birds"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We booked a 10 day trip called Wild Cambodia off Sam Veasna's website. The senior bird guide, Mony, was as good as any other professional bird guide we have had anywhere in the world. His energy levels and dedication in finding the odd species that he felt we should have seen were immense, let alone a seemingly complete recording of all the birds of Cambodia, some more interested than others in their mechanical brethren!! The first 3 days were spent around Siem Reap at 3 different sites, the highlights there being Greater Adjutant and Bengal Florican, the in depth knowledge of the local rangers paid for by WCS and Sam Veasna must not be forgotten in locating these highly endangered species, always with much deliberation to the birds well-being. The project of getting the local people to gain financially through wildlife monitoring/protection was superb and really made a difference to the way we felt about our trip, we wondered if this ideology could be pushed out around the world in other financially challenged areas with highly endangered wildlife. The camp sites, ecolodge and hotel were all excellent considering where we were in the world and the food always freshly cooked, tasty and more than we could eat, and we are good " doers " !! . As far as bird watching was concerned, I think 6 out of 7 species of owls seen, says it all, along with a dozen woodpeckers and of course all the North Plain Cambodian specials, including giant and white shouldered Ibis, slender billed, white rumped and redheaded vultures and luckily for us a pair of early arriving Sarus Cranes. I could go on and on but to sum up I would love to go back to Siem Reap and go off on another adventure with Mony and Da, sublime memories, thank you !!

1  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Sam Veasna Center is very well organized and reliable, and the guide we had was excellent and spoke very good English. Our full day trip to Tonle Sap, the floating villages, and the Prek Toal Bird Sanctuary was one of the most memorable we have taken anywhere. The packed lunch was excellent, the boats were safe and clean, and the experience of the birds quite incredible. Don't miss this if you are in Siem Reap!

5  Thank Christauria W
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We took a birding excursion for a morning while in Siem Reap with a guide from the center. It was worth everything and our 11-year-old and 7-year-old enjoyed it immensely, too. Besides seeing so many birds, we learnt how to eat lotus flower seeds.

3  Thank Mansum
See more reviews
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I did 2 Birding Trips with the Sam Veasna Centre. The first one was a 1 day Birding Trip to Ang Trapaeng Thmor and Sarus Crane Reserve. Kunthea, the guide came by my hotel the evening before just to introduce herself and confirm the details which really impressed me and also reassured me as I had not communicated with the Centre since I had left home. Kunthea was waiting for me at 5:30 AM sharp and off we went. I was very comfortable in a SUV with Kunthea and the driver. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the sun come up and people beginning their daily activities. It was really interesting to see the non-touristic countryside. As for birds, I could not have wished for more. Thanks to Kunthea, we saw close to 50 species, a lot of them Lifers for me. After considerable effort, we also saw the Elds Deer. Kunthea was the perfect guide for me: she was incredibly passionate and really attentive, and although she hadn't been guiding for long, she was very knowledgeable and knew her birds, including all the names in English. Her English, by the way, was excellent. I had my binoculars but she also had a scope which was great. I also liked the fact that as we went along, if we came across a local who had questions, she would educate them as to why it was important to protect the birds.
When we arrived at our birding destination, we also picked up a local guide and a ranger who accompanied us in that area. This way of operating provides employment and also gets the community involved in protecting the birds. And what really impressed me was not only how knowledgeable the local guide and ranger were but also how hard they work to monitor the birds and their habitat in their area.
We stopped for a nice breakfast in the car: I had a croissant and lovely bread from the Blue Pumpkin in Siem Reap which Kunthea had picked up. I'm a difficult eater so she had arranged to have the cook at the WCS ( where we stopped for lunch) prepare a wonderful meal with vegetables and rice. Throughout the day, she would periodically check to see if I had any requests etc. It was a very long day (I got back about 6:30 PM) but an extremely satisfying one.

I also did a 1/2 day Birding Trip to the Florican Grasslands to see the Bengal Florican which was fantastic. We did manage to see a couple of males (the females, because they sit on the ground, are practically impossible to see) as well as another 18 or so bird species, half of which were Lifers for me so that was great. We again picked up a local guide as well as the community activities director and once again, they were extremely knowledgeable. They have been monitoring the area for signs of any land development that might endanger the birds and their habitat.
In addition to the birding, which I had emphasized in my emails was top priority, we did make a couple of brief stops (very brief) during each trip which enabled me to see some silk weaving and taste this really interesting sticky rice that is cooked in bamboo.
I was extremely happy to have chosen the Sam Veasna Centre. No, they're not cheap but as far as I'm concerned, my trips were worth every penny. I should also mention that a small tip is very much appreciated by the local guides in the birding areas. The meals are included in the trip price. I should also mention as well that March is a good time for birding in northern Cambodia.

I enjoyed these trips so much that I would love to return to do more, and I would definitely choose Kunthea as my guide again: for her passion, knowledge and just great company.

5  Thank HayKay1