“Do not miss this restaurant!”
Review of Irrawaddi - CLOSED

Cuisines: Burmese
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I can vouch with enthusiasm for the Irrawaddi's sister restaurant in Phnom Penh, which is owned by the same family as the one in Siem Reap. If you want truly authentic and excellent Myanmar/Burmese food, do not miss this restaurant (and art gallery) on a quiet street in the Boeung Keng Kang section of Phnom Penh. The food is as good as (or better than) any restaurant in Yangon, and the multi-lingual owner and staff will make you feel at home. If you are looking for a bit of Myanmar in Cambodia, do not overlook this place! (I have not visited the restaurant in Siem Reap, but as both restaurants are owned by sisters, I suggest trying both. In Phnom Penh, the Irrawaddi is my 'default' restaurant and tea shop, and a relaxed atmosphere..

1  Thank philipppcam

Reviewed April 5, 2010

Went here at the recommendation of my guesthouse. Upon entry, the owner was seated with some of the workers, singing and playing the guitar.
The service here is great, always with a smile. The restaurant was having a special - all dishes $1.50.
I got the tea leaf salad and a pork dish. Each was only $1.50! The quantity of food was huge and absolutely delicious. Highly recommend the tea leaf salad, excellent unusual flavors with a crunch.
I returned for dinner another night. Spring rolls and a recommended chinese-inspired chicken dish. Again outstanding. All for $3.
The variety of food is fantastic- lots of vegetarian, light curries ,very different from Thai or Indian food. So cheap!
Highly recommend this hidden gem!

Reviewed January 30, 2010

We tried this place because it was recommended by our guesthouse. The food was also cheap, so that was an added bonus. When we went, all dishes on the menu was USD 1.50, which is very cheap. They also offered free internet as well.

We ordered a curry and the tea leaf salad, both of the dishes were very nice.

Reviewed November 18, 2009

I live and work in Siem Reap, and I eat at Irrawaddi all the time. It is the best culinary experience in town that has not yet made it into the tourist guidebooks, and if I wasn't so anxious for them to be successful, I would gladly keep this gem to myself. The food is incredible--amazing Burmese fare, the likes of which I've only seen before in Manhattan. I have developed a dangerous addiction for all of the traditional salads, especially the one made with pickled tea leaves. The value is incredible; it's not uncommon for my boyfriend and I to eat a very hearty vegetarian lunch together with a bill that totals at around $5. These are good people making excellent food--you can't go wrong.

Reviewed November 3, 2009

We can't recommend this restaurant highly enough. Fantastic Burmese curries and super Burmese salads which are so interesting and tasty. For those people interested in beer, cans of real Myanmar beer are available here - a rare chance to taste this great beer ourtside of Burma. Most dishes cost around u.s $2 so a meal here won't break the bank. If you are taking a tuktuk to the Irawaddi just ask for the Soria Moria hotel the restaurant is right next door. Tuktuk from town centre to restaurant $1. Enjoy the meal it's fantastic food!