“Great Experience”

Paper Tiger (Le Tigre de Papier) Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A perfect way to learn the secrets of Khmer cooking at Le Tigre de Papier’s cooking school. After picking your favourite dish from the menu (one starter, one main course and one dessert), join one of the daily classes and you will be taught how to prepare the dish for yourself by one of our Khmer chefs. Then you will be able to taste your dishes!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had a wonderful time, learnt some great local recipes which we got to choose ourselves, we had a choice of 1 main and 1 entree, the instructor got to pick the dessert, and she made a wonderful choice. At the end of the class we were emailed all the recipes that the school had on offer, so I have a full recipe collection from Cambodia. The class was great, highly recommended doing it.

1  Thank Julie H
in 15 reviews
"whole group"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Le Tigre de Papier Cooking School is part of Le Tigre de Papier Restaurant in Siem Reap. Located in the Pub Street area of town.

On my final day in Siem Reap with my three day temple pass totally wrung dry of all it was worth, I was ready for something different. I was flipping through the Lonely Planet Cambodia and saw the category "Classes" with the sub category "Cooking classes". There were three or four listed one around $20 and this one at $13. I asked the desk clerk at my hotel about them and she called over a nearby by guide who told me that all of his clients who went to the Paper Tiger were very happy.

A Tuk-tuk got me to the restaurant in plenty of time to get my name my the list and then some time to explore the area as it awoke. I returned and sat at a table as the area began to fill. There looked to be about 14 or 15 people in for the class. The people around me were from 'everywhere', France, England, Israel and the US. We were broken into two groups, the group I was in was seven.

We were each given the restaurant's menu and told to pick any appetizer and any main by our instructor Chenni (I'll go by a previous reviewer's spelling). She then gathered us up and like a reverse Snow White and the seven dwarfs we towered of her and tottered off to the market. She pointed out most of the items that we would be using in our various dishes and somehow kept us all together amid the madness that is the market in Siem Reap.

We returned to a different part of the restaurant (I never saw the other half of the class again) where we were told to don our red aprons and chefs caps. I thought we would look funny in them, but they turned out to be surprisingly appropriate and stylish as well.

We were then handed a cutting board with knife and slicer that was totally sealed in plastic wrap. Then the ingredients for our dishes were also presented to us. Each cut into sreving sized portions but not cut up. Again wrapped individually and tightly in plastic wrap. My choices were Pumpkin Soup and Fish Amok. So for the Pumpkin soup was 1/4 of a small pumpkin, 1/2 an onion, and garlic and ginger and the other spices. Chenni was not Gordon Ramsey of Hell's Kitchen fame, but she was adamant of how small the dice was supposed to be and prepared. This wasn't a class where you could slide under the radar. She made sure that everyone prepared their dishes to her specifications and somehow did it in a fun and playful manner.

A sharp knife from my knife block at home would have been a blessing along with a food processor, but they were two of the few things I forgot to pack for this trip.

We cooked our dishes and plated them. They were wrapped in plastic wrap for the short trip to the table where we each shared our creations and had a few laughs over our missteps. I have to admit that the fish Amok I made was the best that I had while in Cambodia. My Pumpkin soup was missing something (salt? More Garlic ? More Ginger ? I don't know), BUT the tomato soup that one of my classmates made was outstanding. For dessert the house made a nice dish of whole bananas in a sauce.

After class we were told that our pictures were now on their Facebook page and if we put our email addresses down that they would email us the Facebook link along with the recipes for our dishes. At around 2:30 someone at the table asked for the check - we could have sat there for another hour I'm sure. My bill came to $16 including the drink. Four hours of fun, a great lunch, several laughs, a well rounded introduction to Khmer food, great instructor - all for less than $20 - was a bargain to me.

Thank you Le Tigre de Papier Cooking School and especially Chenni.

1  Thank DorothyMacaw
Reviewed April 9, 2013

As I had to check out of my hotel at noon, I wanted to find something to do before my 11:30pm flight home. I discovered this 3 hour Khymer cooking class, and it was just the perfect way to spend some time. There were 3 of us in the class, we got to choose 2 items to prepare. We were taken to the market, then back to the restaurant where we learned to prepare and then eat (YUM) what we had fixed. The chef then emailed us the recipes so we would have them to fix at home. All of this for $13. What fun!

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I was the only person booked on to the course so I had personal tuition from Chenni (not sure if this is correct spelling!) who was really friendly and took the time to explain everything in detail.
Unlike other courses I have done you had a free choice of which starter and main to cook from the extensive Khmer menu.... I chose green mango salad and fish amok with rice, Chenni also allowed me to slice/dice/shred/cook everything myself from scratch which means I am far more confident to try the recipes back at home
After an eye opening visit to the local produce market it was back to the restaurant to cook.....
Dishes were really easy to cook (under expert tuition!) and tasted fabulous.... Also cooked bananas in honey and coconut milk for dessert which was great
One word of advice..... Don't eat breakfast if you come to the 10am class as the portions are huge for 1 person!
Highly recommended if you have a few hours free in Siem Reap