“helping a school helps”

Ranked #55 of 879 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian, European, International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sala Baï Hotel & Restaurant School was founded in 2002 by the French NGO Agir pour le Cambodge. The school entirely and exclusively meant for young Cambodians coming from underprivileged families. In 2015, more than 1300 young Cambodians, with a 70% priority to girls, have been trained. They have all found a job within 1 month after their one-year training. A few years later, their average salary goes from $250 to $350 which enables them to reach the emerging Cambodian middle-class. The vocational training taught at Sala Baï is definitely the fastest and most efficient way of fighting poverty and human trafficking. But without your support, nothing would be possible. By coming to our training restaurant, you already make a great difference, with the pleasure to enjoy high-quality food.
Dokkum, The Netherlands
“helping a school helps”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our visit at Salabai Restaurant School was in 2009. Mentioned in our "Rough Guide" as a special project, we were very curious about this restaurant. Also, because our youngest daughter recently finished her "Hotel school scholarship" in Holland.
The welcome was really nice, the way the students were doïng their job was very good. When and where necessary, with some advice or correction by their teacher. The food and drinks they served were excellent. Real good food, presented in a very nice way. No pressure to rush, all the time to enjoy the meal.
Obviously, it makes a big difference, knowing that having a meal supports the education of these students. In Holland, Hotel Schools also have their "School Restaurant" to improve the skills of the students, here in Siem Reap you support young people on the way to their future!

• Visited August 2012

1 Thank willem-dokkum

• Korean first
Schoten, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“eating with all senses”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I liked the food in Sala Baï and it was presented in a nice way. I stayed in the hotel as well, so had breakfast there several days. Due to the heath often left early came back for lunch and to refresh.
There's not a lot on the menu, but dishes change regularly so not boring at all. The set menus (both Cambodian and the Western style) are well balanced.
The service is great. The students really want to do it as perfect as possible and the teachers are available to help if needed but don't take over the job of the studens.
The totale xperience of hotel and restaurant makes this address on my top 3 worldwide and a place I ant to go back.
p.s. they have a cooking book in english and French, still use it when I want to remember my holidays there (was March-April 2010, but cannot select that month in the list below)

• Visited August 2012

1 Thank Wouter V
Toronto, Canada
“not just great food - fantastic service too!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I read about the Sala Bai restaurant and hotel in my guide book, and wanted to make sure I visited. Due to my schedule, I was not able to get there until the last day of my trip, and I was sorry about that! I could have eaten there every day. The food was delicious, and the service was really great too. Knowing that I was helping people of Siem Riep directly, was enough to make me try it out, but the service I received is what will bring me back there again and again. Thank you Sala Bai, for the great experience, and for the amazing things you are doing for the community.

• Visited January 2013

1 Thank Anita A
Artesia, California
“how much can $8 buy you?”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

a great meal and a month's tuition for a student at Sala Bai.

the food we had was nothing spectacular but all good and well presented. the bread was delicious. the drink (sala bai iced tea) was yummy. and the rest of the meal flowed nicely. what makes it special is the fact that you're helping someone just by eating there. it's a win win. the only con that i could think of is the fact that only foreigners are eating there. which may make the food not as authentic as it would be if locals were eating and critiquing the food. perhaps Sala Bai can make a more cambodian-friendly menu with a lower price for locals to encourage those who are actually living in siem reap to support their cause. either way, i think it's a great place to have lunch or dinner.

i would highly recommend this to anyone going to siem reap.

tip: we rented a bike to go to Sala Bai, it allowed us to explore the smaller streets of town farther from the center before and after our meal. :)

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Larapanget
Australia
“Helping hand.”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

To be honest the food wasn't outstanding but considering these are trainees from poor families, they do a remarkable job. The service was great and to know that you are helping a worth while cause makes it even better. Well worth a visit

Visited July 2013