“Hidden gem”

Ranked #71 of 486 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Irvine, CA
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were visiting siem reap and used trip advisor for local restaurants serving pizza. This one had good reviews but it is definitely out of the way. We had no idea. Must rickshaw drivers didn't want to go out that far but a few agreed for a slightly higher fare. When we got there ur was hidden amongst local houses and gated and locked. It was very dark. The driver dropped us off and left. ( he agreed to return in one hour and make sure you do the same). We waited alone at the gate for some time then some approached us and asked us what we wanted. We said pizza and game called out the chef Virgil. He was very nice but didn't have pizza dough that day to our disappointment. But he discussed another possible vegetarian menu and we agreed. They let us in and we were v weirded out by the greeting but Virgil sounded v accommodating. He took us to the restaurant. And made us an amazing vegetarian dinner from scratch. It was amazing!!!!!!!!! And such a good price for 7 people. 4 stars is for the out of the way location and the weird greeting but the evening was overall the best dinner in our week in Cambodia!!

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Not only is the physical hotel comfortable and well-maintained, but the staff and location make this the ideal place to stay while in Siem Reap. I doubt anyone would come to Cambodia and not visit Siem Reap (and its surrounding temples), but if that is your plan, you should rethink and come to Siem Reap, if only to stay at the Cockatoo.

The Cockatoo is more like a villa, enclosed behind walls and fences, creating a sense of serenity, while being just a one-minute tuk-tuk ride from the center of town. There is also a beautiful pool and garden to relax in. There were actually times where I had to be reminded to go out and enjoy the temples, as I was so content just lounging around in this oasis.

The owners, Peter and Virgil, take their guests' comfort very seriously and they are also avid planners for the sights around Siem Reap. They absolutely go out of their way to make your entire Siem Reap experience a safe and stress-free one. They are well-versed in Siem Reap's offerings and are able to make recommendations and arrangements for whatever it is you would like to do and see.

Actually, this hotel is what it is because of the owners. Their personalities and professionalism shine through with every detail. I will be going back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank keith l
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Staying -- and eating -- at the Cockatoo changed our time in Siem Reap from wonderful to way beyond that. Not only are the rooms, the garden, the pool, comfortable, the owners make the you feel even more comfortable. Peter and Virgil are so charming, so easy, so knowledgeable that everything that you ever worry about in travelling melts away. Tarzan -- who takes you places in the Tuk Tuk, and the ladies in the kitchen, are all a delight. When you go, don't even think of eating anywhere else...Virgil is an exceptional cook. Back in NYC, with all the restaurants there are, I still think of eating on the porch, with Virgil bringing out dish after better dish. So wonderful.
Sorry I took so long to write a review...

Room Tip: We loved the garden rooms...waking up to green, the pool nearby, the birds.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank WriterJ
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

My wife and six month old baby and I stayed here along with friends in early April; a trip away from China during Qingming festival. It was our first trip to Siem Reap and indeed Cambodia. As many other guests have pointed out, Peter and Virgil really make a big effort to help you maximise your time in whatever way you choose. Normally when visiting places with such a huge tourist magnet, you take for granted that you will be fleeced on a couple of occasions, but the advice from the owners really made the logistics easy - particularly useful when travelling with a small baby. The resort itself is really lovely and an easy place to spend time relaxing when you are not touring the temples or visiting Siem Reap. The prices are all very good value.
We'd be happy to recommend this place highly to anyone visiting Siem Reap and in fact already have.

Stayed April 2012
Chengdu, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Nice place to stay. Rooms are not the biggest, but are very comfortable. We stayed right after they had a fire upstairs the week before. They emailed us right away, and told us of the issue, and offered to find other accommodations if we did not want to stay there now. The place was nice, kids enjoyed the pool very much. Transportation to town was good too. The place is just off the main part of town, but its no big deal.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

It's taken me longer to write this than I would have liked. I stayed at the Cockatoo in summer 2011 in the low season -- I think I may have been the only person there during my five-night stay. This was an incomparable experience -- Peter and Virgil became, literally, my friends while I was there, which is unusual for me as a traveler. I tend to stay anonymous and aloof. However, that was impossible to do here -- though may I say Peter and Virgil have exceptional emotional intelligence and seemed capable of sensing when I was in the mood to be left alone.

Siem Reap can be an overwhelming place, but not when you are staying at the Cockatoo. The rooms are comfortable, stylish and very reasonably priced. I stayed on the ground floor adjoining the pool, which I used frequently in the mornings before going out and in the evenings after coming back from travels. What makes the Cockatoo a transcendent experience is that Peter and Virgil will take care of you and not try to take advantage of you at the same time. You can let them arrange tuk-tuk/rickshaw trips for you using the house driver and not worry whether you are being ripped off or overcharged -- you aren't. You can let Peter arrange trips for you (such as a boat trip on the Tonle Sap -- you can see the photos I shot here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yonggary/sets/72157627186709388/) and be comfortable you're going to get what you want. You can talk to Virgil about how you want to view the Angkor monuments and which ones you want to see and he will arrange it accordingly.

I guess the reason this was so liberating for me is that I travel a lot, all over the world, and only rarely have I been in situations where I was treated like a human being, as opposed to a tourist unit to be relieved of as much cash as quickly and expediently as possible. (Mind you, you will get plenty of that in Siem Reap itself). One night Virgil invited me to dinner and cooked Filipino specialties, and I was joined by Peter and a member of Virgil's family and...suddenly I was eating dinner (an excellent one) with friends. I will never forget this journey. I don't have a single negative to say.

A few qualifications: If you are looking for five-star luxury, there are tons of more formal hotels operating and being built in Siem Reap -- the Cockatoo is not that, but it doesn't need to be. I stayed here when there were no other guests, so the experience might be a bit different when the rooms are full. You can walk to Siem Reap from the hotel, though it's not easy to find the first couple of times. Occasionally the goings-on in the neighborhood can be a bit loud -- such as the roller-skating rink nearby, but I never found this a problem.

You should have no reservations about staying here. One day in the future I would like to come back with my family, and to possibly take a photography workshop from Peter. I will be interested to see how Siem Reap has grown and changed in that time.

Room Tip: Try to book a room with a "plunge pool" (large tub). Nice to take a warm bath after climbi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Our stay at the Cockatoo was one of the highlights of our month long trip. Peter and Virgil were wonderfully entertaining hosts and we felt that the garden and pool were just for us!

We asked Virgil to cook a meal for us on our second evening and this proved to be the best meal we had on our trip - bar none. Four courses, beautifully balanced, and a triumph of local cuisine.

The Cockatoo is well located only about 5 mins by tuk-tuk from the centre of Siem Reap but miles away in terms of peace and tranquillity.

Room Tip: All rooms are close to the pool yet retain a feeling of privicy.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple