“Like Coming Home - Actually Better”

Seven Candles Guest House
Ranked #7 of 483 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Like Coming Home - Actually Better”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Returning here was like returning home. Staying here is like staying at home, or for someone like me with a somewhat dysfunctional family it's maybe better than staying at home haha...

Everything I wrote in my first review is still valid. The rooms are very comfortable, the people are really friendly, being around volunteers from the Ponheary Ly Foundation is inspiring and I'm telling you - Wat Bo is the place to stay. It beats being near Pub Street by a long shot.

Since last year they have opened a breakfast facility with a great a la carte breakfast menu which is available earlier than any other place I know. The omelette is great, the french toast is perfect, the pancakes are wonderful, the fruit is tasty, the coffee is good and the lime juice is delish. Sorry, didn't have the muesli so can't comment on that but I'll bet its great also.

I really don't want to come across as naively pollyannish so I've been cracking my head to come up with something where there's room for improvement or some constructive criticism. And I think I have something in the form of a word of advice for future guests - The place feels so much like home that I frequently had to walk downstairs again because I kept forgetting to pick up my key when I came in. :)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank lennybruce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
Reviewed November 25, 2010

We were made to feel so at home at the Seven Candles by a family of wonderful and inspiring people

Thank you! It was you guys, as well as staying at such a lovely guest house, that made our stay in Siem Resp an absolute delight. Oh, and thanks for setting us up with a great guide and the best tuk tuk driver too!

• Stayed November 2010
4 Thank Seventy7
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed at Seven Candles Guesthouse for 10 days in October 2010. I previously stayed here in 2002 and visited in 2007. The guesthouse has expanded and remodeled since we were here in 2007 and greatly improved since 2002. I was traveling with my mother and we had separate rooms. We were there as volunteers with the Ponheary Ly Foundation and also as tourists.
The rooms are spacious and spotless, have A/C, small TVs with international cable, mini fridge, nice quality linens and beautiful hand woven silk kramas (Cambodian scarves) hanging on the wall. Rooms in the new wing have enclosed showers stalls in the bathrooms and the others have just an open shower in the bathroom. There’s wifi for a small fee.
There are thoughtful touches like a local favorite restaurant list, two free bottles of water per day, laundry service for $2 per kilo (just leave laundry in basket outside door before 7am and you‘ll have it back same day), comfortable common areas with computers (use your $5 access card), small library for guests, hot water pot in the room for coffee and tea. Our rooms in the back of the hotel were very quiet.
One caveat, this is a guesthouse, not a hotel. What does that mean? It means it’s important to have realistic expectations and know your limitations. There’s no soap and shampoo in the bathrooms, so bring your own. It’s not uncommon to see grasshoppers, geckos, and sometimes frogs in the hallways at night. Yes, there are bugs here, but this is Cambodia. There’s no pool (but I think they have an agreement with a local hotel where if you want you can use their pool for $4/day).
Finally, let’s not forget the good that is associated with this place, the Ponheary Ly Foundation and the Ly family (including all the adorable children) who live here in the house too. Of course, there’s no pressure to participate, it’s just a good place to stay and Ponheary, her brother Dara, and sister Marina are excellent licensed guides to the temples of Angkor. Room rates change with the season and availability (as with most guesthouses in Cambodia) so make sure to email and ask for the rate (in general a room is $10-$20 per night).
Finally there is a wonderful breakfast (about $2.50 per dish) served every morning. The eggs, pancakes from scratch, and Khmer noodles are all fantastic.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank wired2theworld
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed in Seven Candles Guest House for a little over a week while volunteering with the Ponheary Ly Foundation (who manages the guest house) in January 2010, and I have already recommended it to others visiting Siem Reap. The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable. Laundry service available for a small fee. You are also within walking distance, a short bike ride (bikes available for rent) or a quick tuk-tuk ride to all of the the Siem Reap tourists areas, including Pub Street and Old Market. Internet cafe down the street and a 15-20 minute tuk-tuk ride to Angkor Wat. Or, do what I did and take a self-guided bike tour of Angkor Wat and surrounding temples. The Seven Candles management makes you feel like part of the family, and will ensure that you are comfortable. Don't forget to ask how you can help the Foundation. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank dpmason
Kanazawa, Japan
Reviewed October 10, 2010

My 12 year old daughter, her friend and I spent 17 nights at Seven Candles In August of this year. It was our third visit to Siem Reap and our second stay at Seven Candles.

The Good:
Rooms are spacious and clean, with comfortable beds air conditioners that work well, hot and cold showers, TV and fridge.
Bed is comfortable.
Hot pot and coffee/tea service provided.
Common areas are also clean, and very welcoming and comfortable.
Computers for internet use and photo download if you didn't bring your own.

The Great:
The Ly family and Lori welcomed us warmly as one of the family.
The relaxed atmosphere that makes everyone feel at home.
The reasonable price.
The Ponheary Ly Foundation.

The immediate area has a variety of restaurants that serve good food at crazy cheap prices. We particularly liked Star Rise Cheese Sandwich and Home Cocktail. There is also a small and friendly market on the corner for food and drinks that you might want to keep in your room.

It is only a short tuk tuk ride to the Old Market/Pub Street area of town, yet it is away from the busy area so it feels relaxing.

Tours with Ponheary and Dara (Englisih) and Marina (French) can be easily arranged and are excellent.

Being involved in the Ponheary Ly Foundation work is a great way to give back, and if you get a chance to teach in the schools, you certainly learn right along with the children. Working with the PLF has changed the way my daughter and her friends view school, life and themselves. Invaluable experience.

Value for money at Seven Candles; absolutely.
Having stayed in all sorts of places, from the Peninsula hotels in Tokyo and Bangkok, to an unfinished room with well used bedding for a night on Naxos (Greece), and all types of places in between, I can honestly say that Seven Candles ranks in my top 3 stays ever, anywhere. The top stay cost 20 times more, and the number 2 place no longer exists (and also cost 5 times more).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank fish2
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2010

The room was spotless (and I am a clean freak), the service was outstanding and the people who work here are great- involved in the fabulous Ponheary Ly Foundation, doing amazing things for the poor schoolkids in local villages. I loved my room and slept as well or better than I sleep at home in this comfortable bed! Can't recommend it more- FANTASTIC!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank terrycos
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Booked here as a result of the mostly glowing reviews on tripadvisor. Well I can tell you it was the best place I stayed on my S-E Asia trip. Was picked up at the Thai border by a vehicle that Seven Candles had organised and trust me if you are crossing at the Poipet border you want to know there is a car or bus waiting. Lori from Seven Candles can give you great advice if you are crossing this way. We organised a tour of the temples with Dara from Seven Candles - brilliant! Rooms are great. Location suited us well. We hired their bikes - had a great time exploring the outskirts of Siem Reap. Lori gave us a guide of places to eat. One of which was Home Cocktail which is about 50 metres away - another highlight of Siem Reap and SUPER cheap. My last bit of advice is stay as long as you can. We didn't want to leave and are now planning on coming back for an extended trip. When it was time to pay the bill that included lots of laundry, bike hire, guided tour of the temples with vehicle and of course accomodation I felt guilty and ended up buying two bikes for their school program (made us all feel better for the ridiculously cheap stay)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family