“Great base camp for temples!”
Review of The River Garden

The River Garden
Ranked #54 of 304 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed December 18, 2010

We stayed there for 4 nights while visiting the temples. This hotel is very nicely decorated in a lovely garden with a small pool. The rooms are spacious, very clean and comfortable. The staff is very kind and helpful and they organize tuk tuk and guides for the temples at a very normal and reasonable price.
The food at the restaurant is good. You are located closer to the temples than most other hotels, and while this saves a couple minutes drive every time you go there, it also means (and that's the only small minus) that you'll have to hire a tuktuk to go in the center to have dinner if you don't want to stay at the hotel... But then that only costs about 1$ each way.

• Stayed: December 2010

Reviewed October 27, 2010

The River Garden Resort, Siem Reap is a hidden gem that we stumbled upon and we have become devotees of the place since our visit. Run by Deb, Glen and their team of friendly local staff - we couldn't have found a better place to stay and relax at.
Located in a quiet street facing the Siem Reap river a few minutes away from the Angkor National Museum - this is a child friendly property - in a rain forest setting with little cottages set amidst the trees and a pool on the side. The decor has touches of local flair with pink ( the owner's favourite colour ) and modern comforts.
The food is SUPERB and especially so for vegetarians like me ( the spaghetti with mushroom sauce and cheese shavings was pure comfort food ) and our culinary discoveries included the wicked lemon grass martini, the Toblerone mousse and the unusual mango-tofu-cashewnuts served with a pyramid of rice.
Loved the little touches that set the property apart from the run of the mill places - the pink spirit house, the monk's blessing at 7.30 am every morning, the concerted effort to encourage and support local staff and causes.
All in all - superb value for our money and a memorable experience too !!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank riitoo
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights in Oct 10.

I chose this hotel for its ambience and tropical outlook and it more than lived up to our expectations.

Comfortable and very clean airconditioned room with private balcony and tropical garden views; plenty of places to relax and read or just soak up the ambience; wonderful food (excellently priced); great staff; lovely pool.

We found Rivergarden an ideal place to rest and rejuvenate before launching out into the heat and bustle of Siem Reap. We didn't find the out-of-town location a problem - our tuk tuk could have us in town within 5 mins, and it was lovely to come back to the peace of Rivergarden each day, and lie in a hammock by the pool with a Pina Colada.

Having our own tuk-tuk driver was a real bonus and meant that we didn't have to explain directions etc.

We did the Cooks in Tuk Tuks cooking class and found it excellent value for money, with a visit to the local market and hands--on cooking which we then got to enjoy. The breakfasts were fresh and tasty, and nothing was too much trouble for the staff who truly made us feel welcome. We ate at the hotel restaurant several times and found it tastier and fresher than some of the restaurants we tried in Siem Reap.

Deb, the owner, is a wonderful host, informative and welcoming without being intrusive; and her creative touches are evident throughout. She recommended a dressmaker across the road who did a great job of copying some business shirts for me at very minimal cost.

We particularly appreciated the warmth and hospitality of the staff, and the extra touches like being able to refill safe drinking water in the restaurant instead of using multiple plastic bottles.

Having lived and travelled quite a bit in Asia, Rivergarden is my new favourite place and we would definitely stay here again.

PS: We had NO problem with mozzies or frogs!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SallyRBrisbane
Reviewed October 7, 2010

What a find, truly a piece of paradise in amongst all the local life beside the river, short walk/bike/tuk tuk ride to the heart of Siem Reap. The staff were exceptional, always smiling, nothing was too much trouble. The pool, pool bar and Khmer Massage Hut were well frequented. The Cooks in Tuk Tuk Cooking Class was absolutely magnificent as were the gardens, Thank you Madame Deb. Will definitely be telling all my friends!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank NordicNada
Reviewed September 23, 2010

This was my second visit to River Garden and I don't know what happened to the prices, but they went way up. I missed the candlelit walk (replaced with bright lights directed somewhere toward the tree tops and my eyes).

The food is good, the staff wonderful, the setting spectacular. And the village area around is delightful--

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Spent 8 days with the family and staff of River Garden in Siem Reap including Christmas Day. We were welcomed at the airport by Mr. Soc who was one of our ongoing tuk tuk guides during our stay. Deb and Glen were wonderful hosts, as were their daughters. The staff were helpful and nothing was too much hassle. Having English speaking owners made things easier but it wouldn't have mattered if they were away, because the staff did a great job of making us all feel welcome, particularly our kids who were 12, 10 and 7.5. We were given great directions to local attractions that were popular and not so popular. Our trip to The Barray as made all the better by being told to take something for the local kids, which we did. Bananas. They were quite taken aback that we had a gift for them and even though we did end up buying some of their trinkets, we were struck by their pleasant blessings and conversations. If I was to return to Cambodia (and oh so hope this will happen soon), then i WILL be staying back there if nothing more than to eat the chocolate brownies.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank UrbanDrifter
Reviewed July 11, 2010

For my trip to Cambodia with my Father, I did extensive research into hotels in each city we visited. While I was traveling Southeast Asia for a summer, he was only coming for two weeks and I wanted to make sure it was a special trip. I was really impressed by the photos of Viroth's but they only had rooms with one bed, so I went with my second choice, Lonely Planet recommended River Garden.

When we arrived we were a bit disappointed to see that the hotel was under construction, an understandable and unavoidable fact of life for hotels, but still not the greatest thing to arrive to. The lobby was totally under construction and even a bit hard to access. That aside, the room and bathroom were beautiful, as were the grounds and the pool. I would recommend they add better lighting to the grounds at night though, and in the meantime bring a flashlight. Also bring bugspray, they can be nasty by the pool, which is fantastically refreshing after a morning at the temples.

I really liked the location of this hotel, being a bit removed and out of town allowed us to see so much more about how local people live, but we were still close enough to town to enjoy the restaurant and nightlife scene. I do recommend this hotel, with previously stated reservations.

I blogged about other hotels we stayed in and our trip extensively. You can read my angkor reviews and tips and more at: [--]

• Stayed: June 2009