“Great find for families”

The River Garden Siem Reap
Ranked #60 of 326 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great for its category and one of very few places that accommodated a family of 5 in a room. We spent a significant 11 nights here all up ( had a few days in Battambung in between) and were glad to return. Our room was a family room with a queen, a king single bed that our two smallest top and tailed in and a roll away. our kids (and us) adored the lush tropical garden setting and the safe compound- kids went from one pond to the next looking for fish, turtles, frogs etc and really enjoyed the fact they could roam around within the garden freely. They had 2 little hotel dogs ( very quiet) and some ducks. Heaven for kids! We had many meals here and all fantastic. Loved the cocktails especially on the weekend where it was buy one get one free. Early bird eating deal also was great - 2 starters and 2 mains or $12. We were there in low season and had no issue sharing the pool. Staff were delightful and Aussie owner was very helpful. Would defineately recommend ESP for a family!

Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place is a great deal in Siem Reap. As a former Siem Reap resident I chose to stay her when I returned to visit friends. The garden is lush and inviting, the pool is actually cold (a rarity in the Cambodian heat!) and the place is very professionally run by a lovely Aussie couple. The food is deliciously home made and they make every effort for you to feel at home. Well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Kulen, Public Relations Manager at The River Garden Siem Reap, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Delicious! We love the hearing from our guests and look to ensuring they have a great time and feel at home while they are staying with us. We are glad you did - happy travelling - Kulen The RiverGarden Siem Reap

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before with my partner but in April this year we went back with 20 friends and family and again had an amazing time.
The hotel is so quiet and restful with ducks by the pond, fish and turtles in the water, a great pool to swim in and wonderful staff.
Nothing is too much trouble as we asked to make last minute trip bookings, tuk tuk rides into town, and advise on places to visit.
If you want to appreciate the splendour of Siem Reap and the truly wonderful people and culture whilst enjoying a tranquil setting then this is the place to stay.
We will be back Thanks Deb and staff :)

Room Tip: We like the balcony room overlooking the restaurant as it has a large balcony to entertain friends o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank janetepper
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here as a couple for 2 nights during peak season (Chinese New Year '13), the city was really full so this was one of 3 hotels we stayed at in Siem Reap in 5 days. We paid USD95 per night, for a balcony room upstairs in one of the cottages equidistant between pool and entrance. I think that's fairly steep for what we got, but probably understandable due to the peak season.

I think overall, this place is not bad within its category. I realise afterwards that we probably thought it was more of an upmarket boutique-y 'hotel' place than it actually is (they do have a particularly flash website!) - but now having been there, I think that they are going for more of a B&B vibe than hotel per se, which is cool.

GREAT THINGS:
1. Room had massive terrace.
2. Room was quaintly and uniquely decorated - I appreciated the personal touch.
3. Lemongrass martinis! Divine
4. Cute family dogs roaming around - not noisy at all
5. Gorgeous tropical gardens in the grounds, obviously well cared for
6. Convenient to get tuktuks
7. Convenient to get to temples
8. It's a more 'relaxed' style of breakfast - but the bread is amazing!

THINGS I WOULD SUGGEST (in our humble opinion) THEY MIGHT IMPROVE:
1. I know it's probably not their fault, but the shower was cold, brown water and almost no water pressure for the duration of our stay. I must stress we didn't even tell them, because we had read their note in the room saying that this sometimes happens etc. So... to be expected maybe - and not that big a deal - but it didn't happen to us elsewhere in SR unfortunately.
2. Cooks in Tuk Tuks - we researched beforehand and were really excited about this. Overall it was interesting and we had a pleasant morning, but as avid cooks, we would have liked to do more of the cooking ourselves rather than demonstrations. Additionally the somewhat random detour to the city-centre temple before the market tour was kinda a bit annoying...I had done all my temple-visiting; I was there to cook...! If there is some reason for doing this it would be great to explain it first to guests. Also kept having to tell the girl on the market tour to speak up; it was hard to hear her - but we forgive her because she was new :). With time she will build up knowledge of what the tourists want to learn about on the market tour.
3. I can see why they do it, and if I were a broke gap-year student traveller, I'd be in seventh heaven too, but to reiterate other posters' views - perhaps they can review the policy of the 'buy a can of coke and take up the sun loungers by the pool all afternoon', to the benefit of paying hotel guests.

Overall I'd recommend it as a budget option with character, but caveat it with a few points to manage expectations.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hkanon z

Thank you for taking the trouble to review your stay with us. It seems that overall you enjoyed being in Siem Reap and staying with us which is great thing to share with fellow travellers. Yes rates do change for high season and accommodation and services that we are provided all cost a lot more at this time of year.
There is always a balance to be had as with our cooking classes many want to cook others don't and those that do are encouraged to step up and have a go. Our staff are are very polite and attentive in their dealings with tourists and this is sometimes taken as being shy or quiet - it is more out of respect for the guest and a learning curve for the staff that presenting themselves for demonstrations and events requires they be a bit bolder.
I am sure as our young staff develop they will gain the confidence required to be comfortable with guests. - The RiverGarden, Siem Reap

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My Girlfriend and I stayed at this Hotel in Siem Reap mid April 2013. We found the river garden to be one of the more exotic and peaceful places we have stayed on our journey around south east Asia so far. We couldnt be thankful enough to the staff and workers of this place, our whole experience was just wonderful. The staff here are super friendly and the service is great, The hotel sits in a tropical setting and is very peaceful, The jungle pool is a great part of the hotel and a perfect place to relax on a hot afternoon, we spent many hours here just reading, relaxing and drinking cocktails. The hotel resturant is also amazing..!! There is a huge range of food, western, traditional Cambodian and fresh homemade bread. We ate at the hotel maybe 6-8 times over our two week stay and everything we tryed was really great, especially the tom yum soup and grilled chicken breast. We will deffintley be recomending this hotel to our fellow travellers and people we meet over the next few months. Thank You

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the RiverGarden in late April 2013 as a couple. We booked the cheapest room ($35 per night) and in the main it was very pleasant.

- The staff were really friendly and attentive; especially the pool staff who were great.
- Food was nice when we ate there, though we didn't sample the restaurant food.
- It was very well located to Ankor Wat and Siem Reap town (we walked in one day, it wasn't difficult and a pleasant enough stroll in the midday heat).
- The gardens are beautiful and the pool very secluded

It could be better though and there were a few problems that would have caused me greater concern had I paid more money for the room:

- Pool building work was ongoing during our stay. I didn't book the room but my g/f said that this was not mentioned when we booked; it would have been nice to have been informed as it was very intrusive in the pool area
- The shower / toilet in the bedroom wasn't very good at all. The water from the shower had a strange stench to it and the toilet often struggled to flush
- Our swimming costumes were both ruined by either the shower or the pool (not sure which) - there was a dark brown colour that ran throughout both my swim shorts and g/f bikini. If I were to guess I'd suggest it was down to the building work and not the showers, so probably a short term issue. However, I'm glad I was wearing my cheap shorts and so throwing them away wasn't a huge ordeal.

If the hotel is touched up and the above are improved, this place would be great. Especially at the reasonable price.

1  Thank Maddison1987
Reviewed May 6, 2013

A set of bungalows within a nice garden architecture. Not to big of a swimming pool. booking of upmarket rooms ($80) are recommended, Garden suite is a bit locked in and not really open to the garden - the river was unfortunately in construction which did not change the quality of the place, but made the travel there a dusty event with occasional power outs.
Nice and helpful expat management.

Room Tip: go for bungalows in the upper price range