“Great location”

Ranked #259 of 354 Hotels in Siem Reap
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

A great hotel and friendly staffs. They had a free pick-up from the airport where the driver can also communicate well in English. I appreciate the free pick-up greatly cos there were 12 of us. Most of our baggages went to a Tuk Tuk which was sent by them and arrived shortly after we had arrived at the hotel.

It's very easy to walk to the nearby Pub Street, Old Market area and my favourite restaurant "Haven--where helping tastes good". There's also an awesome ice cream stall called "The Bluepumpkin" along the roads. Once you've learned to walk to Pub Street, you would know how to walk around the main area of Siem Reap and back to the hotel.

The room was clean and the shower has good pressure. The toilet is big and the rooms with 2 beds was good for me. Enough room space. There is alot of hot water and the water would be hot if you showered in the morning or early evening. If you shower late at night, the water would not be as hot. I like the way they do the towels--either a bamboo shoot shape or a pretty flower shape.

The staffs are friendly. One night, my friends and I wanted to just take a tuk tuk and travel round the area. Just drive around randomly to see the non-Pub Street areas. So we approached the receptionist for help where the lady behind the counter kindly called a friend to come and helped us translate our intentions. So it was priced for US$5 for 4 of us in 1 Tuk Tuk. And it was certainly a pleasant ride.

We travelled farther from the Pub street and saw big houses, shopping malls, angkor arts night market, river, road side stalls and even Swesens Restaurant..and it was pleasantly different. I'm glad I made that trip. On the way back, I stopped by the Bluepumpkin ice cream place where a scoop cost US$1.50 and enjoyed the really comfy seats.

Thunborey Hotel is also located very near to The Happy Horse Ranch which gives really good horse rides at US$22 per person. The owner in charge speaks very good english (I don't think he's a local?) and there's a guide for each of the horses.

I also employed the hotel's service for a mini van transport throughout the day to go to Ang Kor Wat and Ta Prohm, and horse range. The transport was good. Drove safely. Easy to communicate to the driver. And the driver was helpful to help us find the reception counter at the horse range. Was pleased with the arranged transport and can be trusted.

Room Tip: Ensure that all the electrical plugs are working. If the ones at the dressing table aren't worki...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Seihator, Owner at Thunborey Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you very much!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in November 2010 and January and April 2012, each time for a longer period. It's my favorite. Located a few minutes Southeast of the Old Market/Pub Street. The road to the hotel is improved recently (not so bumpy and dusty anymore). Rooms are excellent. Large if you have one bed, a little less spacy with two beds. Very clean, silent airco, refrigerator, tv, great bathroom with glass shower cabin. Breakfast is included and a little amateuristic served, but always with fresh fruit and it's a low paid job to serve and the young staff is very friendly and modest (sometimes you have to repeat, their English is not perfect, but it´s Cambodia/Asia). I always chat with them. Recently they changed the reception staff, now with some very cute girls. Also the rate is higher compared to two years ago (from $12 to $18). You never have to pay more than $20 for a very good room in Cambodia.
There are computers in the lobby, but recently I used wifi on my netbook and that works fine.
At the corner to center (Old Market and Pub Street area) you can rent a bicycle for 1$/day including a bottle of water. In the street to the Old Market is a Chinese bakery, opposite one of the best massage places in town ($5/hour and for $1 more they come to your hotel, but.the hotel can also arrange massage).
Have fun in Siem Reap!

Room Tip: The best rooms (silent) are in on the second and third floor. Front rooms on the fourth have noice f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johan H
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at the Thunborey for five nights in May 2012, longer than we intended because the hotel was so good.

We have travelled a lot and stayed in all types of accommodation, backpacker to luxury over the years. For $18 a night we got an air conditioned very spacious room with ensuite (with proper shower that had great pressure rather than a wet room), TV with English movie channels, clean bedding and towels daily, high speed internet that never once let us down, two bottles of water every day, fridge/mini bar and breakfast. There was a choice of food and drink or breakfast, service wa always with a smile and the food was really well cooked. We had toast and eggs every day but also got jam and three types of fresh fruit.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful and you can book tuk tuks to the Angkor temples here for very reasonable rates as well as bus tickets for onward travel. We did the latter, not the former, only because we found an excellent tuk tuk driver whilst out and about in the town.

The location is fine, only a few minutes walk to Pub Street and the town centre. There are also places to eat, laundries, etc along the same road that the hotel is on. It was nice to be in a quieter area and still have access to all the great things that Siem Reap has to offer. I really can't recommend this hotel highly enough, it's been the best value we've had in Cambodia so far and I doubt we'll better it in this price bracket.

I see I've put 'terrible' against the pool below - that's a mistake I can't change on an ipad. There is no pool here but that wasn't an issue for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in 325 - very happy with it
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Excellent Hotel with friendly staff and daily room service. Still don't know why they only charge 18 bucks for this... Service was great they did also let us have a shower after we already checked out (in a room that was already cleaned).
Location near Old Market was also fab.
No pool.

Room Tip: All rooms I have seen so far look alike. Just depends on number of beds you want.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed here for 3 weeks and the staff were very helpful, the rooms were spotless and the location was very handy to the Old Market & Pub Street. , There is a lift, free water, breakfast & Wi-Fi but no pool. However, if you want a swim you can go a few doors down and pay $3 at the Angkor Friendship Inn.

I would recommend this hotel to all travellers and also volunteers wanting somewhere close to everything at a good price.

Room Tip: Levels 1 & 2 are best for WI-FI
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Taipei
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This hotel is probably great usually - showers are hot with good water pressure, rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, and their rates for tuk tuks and other services are great. Just a sunrise or sunset tuk tuk is $5US, driver for a day is $11, a day including the longer trip to Banteay Srei is $15. We thought these prices were good and lower than you get trying to bargain. We took the air conditioned bus to Phnom Penh for $6 per person. The bus has a toilet, but it's disgusting! The man at reception said the bus stops along Sisowath Quay, the riverside, but it doesn't. Maybe close but we didn't spend a lot of time walking around looking at streets before just getting a tuk tuk for $2 to our hotel. There are three free computers you can use in the lobby, just beware of the hordes of mosquitoes (Siem Reap in general). The breakfast isn't great, eggs, two slices white bread, jam, and a little bit of fruit. Coffee tastes really strange, and the OJ is tang.

Location is great. Lotus Dream massage is down the street to the right, so good! 3 Hour Laundry is a few meters to the left, and the nice young woman there did a great job with our laundry.

On to our unusual problems. The second night here the electricity had problems on the entire first floor, causing the lights to flicker and the air conditioner to make the loud sound of a garage door opening every few minutes. This happened after we were settled in bed. It took a lot of back and forth running to reception before someone even took it seriously. Then they shut off our electricity and told us to change rooms - in pitch black! We asked for a flashlight and received a cell phone and were told to use that. They said "the flashlight is busy right now." Haha. Finally we convinced them to turn the electricity back on briefly so we could at least see our things to gather them. We had already changed the night before because the first was surrounded by smokers and smelled awful. Knowing that I didn't want a smoky smelling room, they had sprayed loads of perfume into the room they wanted us to change into. What smell were they hiding with all that air freshener? So we moved again and were in a twin bed room, smaller than we'd originally booked. All of this made for a late night. Next morning we're in our tuk tuk about to head off when a receptionist runs at us and tells us we have to change rooms back immediately if we want to keep our bigger room with the double bed. Inconvenient. Our last night there, at about 2 in the morning, the air conditioner started making the garage door sound again, except really high pitched. It got louder and louder until it sounded like it would wake up the entire floor. To avoid changing rooms again, we just asked for a fan and turned the AC off. Staff claimed it was a "black day," but why only one floor and why did it happen twice?

Overall, probably a good hotel, but with problems. Electricity is not good and pretty quirky. We didn't get too much sleep because off all that. Changed rooms a total of four times in only four nights! Hotel doesn't make any effort to separate smokers and non smokers. I pushed a lot and got a refund, which they promptly credited me. The boss said, "Because I feel sorry for you." Haha. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Seihator, Owner at Thunborey Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you very much for your review, and I still say I feel sorry for you for your trouble stay cause by our little bit problem of the electricity. I already told you that it never happens before, and you already got back one night refund immediately after you expresses your feeling. I did not see any pushing a lot like you said. One more thing is all of guests in the entire floor did not complain about moving their room because they clearly understand the situation except you. I remembered that night, after changing the room to the 2nd floor, you did not like the smell in that room, so my staff gave you two more rooms to see and smell, so I think you would get a good choice.

Anyway it was still our problem, so we are going to double check the electricity everyday to prevent any strange cause. Thank you again.
Battambang, null, Cambodia
Reviewed February 27, 2012

At first we stay here (thunborey Hotel) for couple days. services was excellent and all the staffs was polite and kinds. They do the bed sheets every morning. Always clean and fresh.

Closed to all faculties.
I give a 2 thumbs up. If m stay in siem reap again. Thunborey hotel is my first choice with no doubt.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family