“Not a four-star hotel”

Smiling Hotel & Spa
Ranked #262 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Terrible! The room smelled of mold, sheets with holes, slow shower drain -- even after it was "fixed" following my complaint. Sound insulation is non-existent, you can hear everything that's going on in the room next to you which is particularly bad in a place where some people choose to get up at 4:30AM to see the sunrise. Not recommended.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
SMILINGHOELSiemReap, Manager at Smiling Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Value guests!

We have learned from this review and found that there is an error understanding of this person. All hotels in the world would have some problem during your stay here/there but you have to contact receptionists to fix if not you can requested to change to the new room instead. This guests were ignored with our offer to change to the new room.

Some guests written review as the human be but some of them written review as the gangsters. Hotel operation or other business operation will likely to have some problem during the operation hour but they will not ignore to fix or change that.

The above mentioned are not a big argument with this guy but this is to show our response to an error written review as well as prevent misunderstanding for the further guests who wish to stay at the Smiling Hotel.

The management!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed for two nights during the visit to Angkor Wat and other attractions. My views are as follows:

The likes:

- Friendly Staff
- clean room

The dislikes:

- fly army at breakfast! We lost our appetite after fighting off these disgusting insect!
- too many mainland Chinese Tourists who shout at each other, cut queues, push and shove their ways around! We can here them shouting we'll into the night. We did not have good night rest at all during our stay.
- no soap tray inside the shower. We had to put the soap into a cup and place on the floor while we showered.

We did not return for our breakfast on the second day. We will not be coming to this hotel again by our choice.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor on the new building!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
SMILINGHOELSiemReap, Manager at Smiling Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Guests;

Thank you for your choosing your accommodation at the Smiling Hotel & Spa during your visiting the Angkor Wat, Cambodia.

Refer to your commend; we could not accept blame with your unfair review; our breakfast station offers variety of selection with cold and hot food/drink/bakery. You could talk to our staff if you prefer other!

The hotel is the place where the tourists stay and enjoy their holiday so any tourists can come and stay if their prefer to pay what we are offer to them! And no one can shouting at the whole night without sleeping.

We have amenity tray which is placed in the bathroom next to the hand basins with 4* standard amenity (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, saver, cotton bat, shower cap, face towels,..) Hand-towels, Bathtowels. The room we offered to you was Deluxe room with separate bathtub and shower so we could not set up with two separate amenity tray even 5* international hotel!

Image is one among other five important things in the hotel industry (price, location, service & facility).

The above mentioned are not the big argument but we just want to express the future guests who want to stay at the Smiling Hotel & Spa that we still take a good care of your stay.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 5 days during our visit in Seam Reap recently. The room is spacious, clean and comfortable. The bed is a bit hard but it is not a problem for me, I still can doze off easily. For the breakfast, there are varieties of food but since I am staying for 5 days I get a bit bore when come to last couple of days. I have a problem with the shower, the flow of the hot water is not consistent, sometime it get too hot and sometime cold. For getting a transport to the town area is not a problem, I can easily get a 'Tuk-tuk' just outside of the hotel and their charge is quite reasonable with just USD1 for 1 person. The staff in this hotel are really nice and friendly, especially a person call 'Smey' who are so helpful. Overall I will rate this hotel nice to stay and value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Like the name of the hotel, the staff are always smiling... :-)

Our whole family went there for a vacation it was one o the best hotel experience we had. Right from our arrival to departure the hotel staff did everything to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible. They arranged customized tour an transformation for us. We couldn't have asked for more.

Will definitely stay here when I go back!!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Som P
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed one night here and promptly took up with hotels.com to give us a refund the next day.

First off, the good: the staff are lovely. They're genuinely caring and will do whatever they can to help you. The trouble is, there doesn't seem to be very much.

And now, the bad: we were placed in what, I can only assume, is the "old" building. Our super-special "deluxe" view? A building site of a side of the old building...presumably this is what would happen to our side of the hotel in a few months? The pool noise, even 4 floors up, was noisy and impossible to rest during. The internet was laughable; there in name only.

I have literally slept on concrete floors that were more comfortable than this mattress. Yes, I've traveled throughout Asia and am aware of some places' affection for backbreaking beds. This beats them all. I question if anything short of magic could make this bed comfortable.

Also both hotels.com and the hotel's actual website show pictures of a hot tub/jacuzzi setup on offer at the hotel. When my husband asked where they were located the staff actually laughed and said that those had been closed for almost a year.

**BEST PART**
At around 2am, we were awoken by the loud noise of our neighbors returning and talking and laughing loudly in Korean. It was irritating, but, you know...it's a hotel, what can you do? But neither of us could get back to sleep--the noise was so loud. Around 3am, I noticed that there was a growing gold glow coming from the door between our adjoining rooms. I walked up and noticed that the door was OPEN between our two rooms! The other guests could have walked in and taken whatever they wanted to, and we would have never known!

We had tested the door before we went to bed that night, as I am always a bit weary of adjoining rooms with people I don't know. The door was locked then. Most adjoining doors have a second door as a failsafe if one door fails, but not this one! We put a chair up against the door, but that chair couldn't stop the loud chatter and noise leaking in from the open adjoining door.

There are so many other accommodation options in Siem Reap; I'd give this one a pass.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank giulieta
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed 2 night at Smiling Hotel in new building. Room is luxury and very clean. I sleep very well :))
There are many TV channels from around Asia such as; Thailand China Japan and Korea. Wake up call make me surprise :) .You can ask for City-Map and exchange money from Reservation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Any L
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent 3 days in this hotel in January. It s a **** hotel. Rooms corridors and lobby were very clean. I asked for a large bed in a quite location. I had a very big room (32 sq m as indicate on my reservation via hotels.com -expedia-) a little bit noisy -there is big road and some weddings party with heavy sound ) Cambodian people cant drive without horning....They don t have double glassed windows as we have in Europe! The lobby people were very courteous and helpful. They speak good and fluent English with a characteristic Asian accent!. My room had very good equipments and amenities. I had a saloon side. The TV screen is a little bit to small to see correctly channels from the bed.. There is a small shower-cabin inside a big bathroom. My mattress was hard for my back especially after seen Angkor temples... I had free pick up from the the bus station with an A/C car ( only one pick up for each booking : you have to pre-book and to give your flight or bus details). They have free wifi internet. This hotel is a bit far from the city but the cost of a tuk-tuk taxi to go downtown is around 2 US$. Lot of big asian tourists noisy groups arrives in the evening. Good clean and not so quite place to stay outside the city.

Room Tip: Ask by mail the room you want and give them the pick up details.... There is a swimming pool and I d...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo