“Best place in Siem Reap”
Review of My Home Cambodia

My Home Cambodia
Ranked #122 of 313 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was second stay at My Home. In the two weeks I stayed here my family got to know the manager Sonnan (Mr). He is the nicest, friendliest person we have met in Cambodia and genuinely has ambition for My Homes service and staff.

I don't understand the negative reviews people have put on here. My room was under $16 a night for A/C, television, breakfast, free Wi-Fi and pool. You will not get better than that like other people have said. My A/C broke one night, they moved me to another room and it was fixed the next day. My toilet was broken and it was fixed straight away. This is Cambodia and things need maintenance, its a difficult climate, but I never had a problem when I made a request. I left my valuables (including Passport) at reception and they were secure.

The staff are attentive and are always doing there best. The poolside service was excellent and we ate lunch here most days. You cant go wrong with chicken fried rice and the club sandwich was excellent.

I highly recommend My Home as a fantastic place to stay in Siem Reap. We left to travel to Phnom Penh, Kep and Sihanoukville and wished we could have made it back to this hotel for a couple more days.

Thank you Sonnan (Mr) and staff for a memorable stay. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BellaVistaLakeside
MYHOMEGUESTHOUSE45, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear BellaVistaLakeside Sydney

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I am really pleased to read that you have enjoyed stay with us in our My Home Tropical Garden Villa. Your comments on the high standard the staff are attentive and are always doing the best. The poolside service was excellent are very much appreciated and I will be sure to share with the team.

Please stay in touch when you are planning your next visit and let us know how we can be of assistance - we are already looking forward to welcoming you will be back soon. Thanks and all best ! Sonan (Mr)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you need a place to sleep and you aren't at all bothered by anything, than it will be fine. Though if you wish to stay and not have to worry than you won't be too happy here. The room with a/c at the time I stayed was $18 per night and a fan room was $14 per night with breakfast. The first room was large, though the bathroom was small though not uncommon in se asia, it had tv and limited room for storage. The issue I had was that the ac didn't work. I told the staff and they offered to change the room so I accepted this and changed. The ac in this room was cool though not at all worth paying extra for. I stayed the night and then decided i could probably find better for the money, having been 4 times before the place i usually stay had a price hike so i chose not to go back which left me searching. the reason i chose not to stay any longer was that it was simply too expensive for what was on offer. No in room safe was a concern and I didn't wish to leave items with staff due to previous reviews i had read of theft. The laundry is more than it costs in town where you support a local family business to do a great job for less money. The bathroom had a large amount of mold on the roof and in the floors which is a concern for me as I have had bathrooms in cambodia before that were very clean even though they were basic. The towels appeared dirty and the so did the linen, the mozzies were also bad. Now i am more than aware it is a country where you don't expect 5 star service, but over all id say I had a moderate experience with staff, they didn't like that i wanted to check out earlier than planned but i simply was not happy. The toilet in the bathroom over night stopped flushing, it took from 10am to 4pm for them to look at it and it wasn't fixed so I simply said I would be checking out to find somewhere else to go. I no that people have stayed here and were happy, but at the moment there is a shortage of staff due to the new year, and a lack of general maintenance. Perhaps in a few months it will pick up its act again, my thoughts on the room are at a value of around $12-14 for ac. I would encourage you not to stay here unless you were desperate for a room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
MYHOMEGUESTHOUSE45, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your detailed review. This is really a great example of disconnect between expectations and the stay. The bathroom seems small sorry that we didn't get you in a good room but we never had any guests mention for this bathroom before and it impossible to do a different environment. If we do it the result is that we try harder.
I am deeply disturbed when reading your review on your stay. We are very sorry for the confusion with the Air Conditioning unit in your room when your stay. our maintenance with Air Conditioning are always check 02 week a time and properly they missing one but we still say again sorry that we didn’t checked it before you coming.
My sincere apologies we do not have a safe box in room but we do have appeared to keeping all items to our boss room that we doing careful and responsible and what more than this we never happened damage or losing items for someone event one time. And regarding a review you had read it is not really cause but we don’t say anything else.
We are so sorry for during your stayed because it is during the Khmer New Year and amount of mold it cause from water so we are no have a maintenance staff to fixed it as soon as recently request during this.
It’s always an embarrassment to hear that a towel appeared dirty. It washes before being used and inspecting it that works well. Regarding the toilet in the bathroom i had direct check it after fixed and i did make sure with you as well too it probably case error from maintenance staff.
I am sorry that in this case we were not given the opportunity to make your stay more comfortable, which is our goal. I hope that if in the future should you return to My Home that you would allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations, and provide you with comfortable accommodations. Thanks and Best Regards. Sonan (Mr)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I saw this place recommended and were desperate for some pool time. The room we got was $14, with fan ($20 with air con) and decent; modern and cool with tiled floor. We couldn't complain.

However!-we were woken EVERY morning between 7.30-8.30am by 'housekeeping' who chapped loudly on our door, despite me informing the staff we wouldn't want housekeeping/any disturbance because my boyfriend was poorly & needed rest. They ignored this.
I asked if the sheets could be changed whilst we had breakfast (lots of cold sweats etc), they assured me housekeeping would sort it. Came back to the room to a made bed, but not fresh sheets, no loo roll and towels had not been replaced, only taken away.

We handed in 3kg of laundry (at a rocketing $1.50 per kg- NB there are heaps of places around that do a great job at $1) and received less than 2kg back. Upon checking, we realised some items were missing and we had also acquired someone else's laundry mixed in with ours (they use coloured string to differentiate between batches, I don't understand how they got it so wrong). Managed to track down some more of our laundry. Realised more was missing an got more of other people's things! This goes on... We refused to pay and were met with blank smiles.

I ordered a sandwich at the restaurant with a waiter that spoke zero English and couldn't tell me if it came with French fries or not. After 30mins, I enquired at reception as to the whereabouts of said sandwich, as the waiter was gone and seemed to be eating out the back with the other kitchen staff. The receptionist apologised and said she'd check, only to inform me the order was 'forgotten' and it would come in another 20mins. 5mins later she informs me there will be no sandwich, only burgers. I went out for lunch.

We stayed for 3 nights. We had no other option.
I am so infuriated by this place. It's lovely, but the staff are incompetent and mooch around joking with each other instead of attending to guests.

Very disappointed. Food is generally poor, though breakfast seems to be included. Pool is lovely, though can get overcrowded.

• Stayed: April 2013
MYHOMEGUESTHOUSE45, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay went. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed to see that things didn’t go well (an obvious understatement). First i sincerely apologizes ‘Housekeeping’ staff that chapped loudly on the door. I had made sure front office staff their missing informed to housekeeping that your boyfriend was poorly and unfortunately your room is ground floor and it is the first chose for housekeeping staff to cleaning the rooms. Anyway we are doing have a sight put it up if you wish don’t have someone disturb. I understand that you encountered an issue with not fresh sheets of your guest room. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. Regarding towels i was replaced it to you quickly upon your requested. I very appreciated for our staff made you a good deal for laundry. Anyway we are very careful for guests clothes before washing it were separate with different color and organize it on room number and i apologize for the inconvenience i will look into your suggestion with our laundry team into the area of improvement. I was very surprised to hear about your service concerns we try very hard to give great customer service. With that said let me start with an apology. Unfortunately during your stayed it is the Khmer New Year and we apologies for slow the service and confused food order for your experienced which was due, mainly, to staff shortages. Several of our service staff has recently left and we have been unable to replace them as quickly as we would have liked and we do have leave the front office from time to time to help other guests. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves by visiting us again and please contact me direct so that I may discuss your feedback in more detail and personally oversee a return visit. All the best! Sonan (Mr)

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have stayed in worse, but this one is disappointing. Room was small with one single lightbulb. Fridge - broken. Tv - broken. A/c just worked. Receptionist laughed when I asked for a working fridge. Restaurant is miserable with barely cool drinks and no ice. Free breakfast is a nice idea, but pretty basic. I wouldn't stay ere again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our property .We want to address the first issue you had with your room type; unfortunately, we weren’t able to upgrade you to a much bigger room that time due to a full house status. If we had the availability to upgrade you to a larger room i guarantee we would have done this no matter which website you booked through. That the refrigerator, TV and A/C in your room was not working well during your stay. We wish you would have informed to the front desk to alert us of your heating unit not working properly. Sometimes all it takes is a flip of a switch from our outstanding.
If you ever experience issues in the future, please call our front desk and we’d be happy to have maintenance fix the issue or bring another one up. If you do decide to give us another try please give me a head's up so I can get you in a large room. All the best! Sonan (Mr)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

It seemed like great value- $19 a night but there are far better places to stay in SR for around the same price or even cheaper. Everything in the room is broken and the staff are disinterested! The hotel is not particularly clean, and expect to be woken early in the morning by the staff chatting loudly in the halls. Don't order anything off the menu if you are in a rush, not even a can of coke will find it's way to your table in less than an hour. The outside garden is lovely but the waiting staff are dreadfully slow and constantly confused. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody unless they enjoyed being frustrated;.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Charlotte W
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I don't understand why this place is recommended in the Lonely Planet, it's not a nice place to stay and there are better options nearby.

It's dirty - when we arrived there was blood on one of the bed sheets. We asked reception twice to give us new sheets so that we could replace them. We threw the dirty sheets on the floor. The next day the maid had made the bed using the sheets from the floor with visible spots of blood. I also left my towel on the floor to be replaced and found that the same towel had been picked up and hung up, with no clean replacement.

The tap/shower water here had a very strong smell of metal/old seashells. We had to brush our teeth with bottled water.

The breakfast was unimpressive. The home-made bread tastes like the water smells.

Service is slow and pretty incompetent. I ordered chicken and got beef (tough and chewy). Staff don't seem to be too bothered about the comfort or satisfaction of their customers.

You are asked to take your shoes off in the building but the floors arn't kept very clean so you constantly have dirty feet.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Brewsker
MYHOMEGUESTHOUSE45, Manager at My Home Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

- Regarding the issue with the sheets, all bedding is washed before being used in rooms and it wash me that you spoke to and i did supply replacements at your request. I do not therefore think i can comment further on this matter. housekeeping are instructed to change towel left on the floor for clean ones, so i am unable to explain why this did not happen, i can only assume it was due to staff error for which we apologies.
- The water from the tap and showers all comes from the mains supply and it the same water used for all hotel and guest house in Siem Reap. We never had any guests mention strong smell before but it may be caused by the chemical used at the treatment plant, which may differ from those used in your country. I believe that most guests use bottled water to clean their teeth although the tap water is perfectly safe to use.
- We appreciate that the choice of complimentary breakfast is not extensive but us we have a small kitchen have tried to make the choice simple and easy to prepare so as not to delay guests wishing to leave early for the temples. The bread is not made on the premises and it bought from a local bakery we may, therefore, need to change the wording on our menu to save any confusion to future visitors.
- We apologies for slow the service you experienced which was due, mainly, to staff shortages. Several of our service staff has recently left and we have been unable to replace them as quickly as we would have liked.

Recruiting suitable staff around the Cambodian New Year is always difficult.
- We are sorry about the mistake with your food order and would hope that if this was mentioned at the time that our staff offered to change it for you.
- Removing your shoes before entering a home is a Cambodian custom and whilst every effort is made to keep the floors clean, the amount of guests and staff entering and leaving during the day combined with our dusty climate means this is not always passible.
We do try and ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and satisfying stay and are very sorry that this was not the case with yourselves. All we can do is apologies for the problem you encountered and although we cannot do anything to change your experience we will try and use your comments constructively to ensure future guests do not have the same issues.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We initially planned on staying here for 3 nights in a double bedroom for $23 per night. The room was so small that you barely could move around (even before unpacking your suitcase). The bed was a small queen size bed not suitable for two people, not even if you like each other a lot. On top of that there was considerable street noise.

We left our room and went for the pool and "home tropical garden", this was the biggest disappointment. The pictures online are misleading: there's almost no grass, but only concrete and a small toxic looking pool. We didn't venture into the pool, but some poor fellow was standing chest high in the pool and unable to see his feet.

The breakfast was bland and the bananas provided were old.

I would not recommend this place, but instead recommend The Millennium Guesthouse located closer to town and only costing $8 for a double room.

Room Tip: Get a room at The Millenium Guest House, which is better value