Angkor Spirit Palace
Plumeria Residence(Svay Dangkum)
  • Breakfast included
Advaya Residence(Siem Reap)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstuk tukswimming pooldowntown siem reaprooms are hugepub streettemple tourcentre of towncambodiakimpickuptransport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I didn't pick the hotel, my friend did. Usually, I stick with 4+ stars, as 3-stars can go either way. But I can't fault her for this choice. The hotel was not in the middle of town, so you need a tuk-tuk to go to places like the Night Market, and most restaurants, but to me that was a plus: I could get away from the noise at night. Plus, it is not very far: it takes about 10 minutes for the tuk-tuk (which is not as fast as a car) to take you there. Yes, the hotel will drop you off, and agree with you what time to pick you up at a given location in town.
I actually never got much time to explore the grounds as there was so much to see in Siem Reap, and some of the excursions take you quite far from town that you need to leave in early morning and spend the full day out.
So, as a 3-star, the Angkor Spirit Palace fares well, although there were a few things that could have been better. The first night, we were given a room that had 3 beds because my friend and I each wanted our own bed (rather than a king bed) and all rooms with 2 double beds were occupied. That room with 3 beds is right behind the reception counter, on the ground floor. So, the next morning, there were girls (I guess hotel staff) doing some laundry (or some other chore) and who were right by the window. Their chatter was quite loud (I think it might be a Cambodian habit to speak loud even when speaking to someone sitting next to you). In any event, it woke me up early and I couldn't go back to sleep. So, I got out and told the guy at reception that I couldn't sleep because of the noise. He took care of it immediately, and I was able to get back to sleep. Later that day, we moved to a room with 2 bed on the 2nd floor, and stayed there throughout.
On that same 1st morning, given the jetlag, I knew I was going to sleep late. I asked if my breakfast could be postponed by 1 hour pass the breakfast deadline, and they agreed. These guys give new meaning to the words "customer service". At times, I almost felt I was abusing their acceptance of every request I made. On the last day, I checked out at 5pm without being charge anything additional (of course, the hotel wasn't full as we only saw a few couples in the dining room or by the pool). Still, that was very nice of their part.
The hotel gave us a dedicated tuk-tuk and driver, who accompanied us everywhere during our entire time, including taking us to the riverbanks where we could get on a boat to visit a floating village. This driver, Sokontai (I may be messing up the spelling) was too nice for his own good. He spoke decent english and was willing to come for us at a moment's notice, and then takes us back to town at any time. I'd have given the hotel a 6 for service if that was possible (in fact, note to Tripadvisor: reviewers should be able to add one more star to a particular criteria if they so desire).
The rooms are not much to talk about, and the bathroom's shower could use a new curtain. But again, this was a 3-star, so I couldn't ask for Marriott Renaissance or Park Hyatt level.
I must say that when, after booking this hotel, my friend told me how much was the night rate, I was a bit worried: sometimes, the reason something is cheap is because it is bad quality, or seedy. But not this one. For what we paid, I'd have paid the double if I knew ahead that's the kind of service we'd be getting.
Caveat: the restarurant is nothing to write home about, but it's decent and if you come back one evening before dinner and don't feel like going back to town, a nice curry fish will cost you less than $10. In fact, for once, I found a hotel where the restaurant in the hotel was cheaper than those outside (it's usually the other way around). Also, every day, they put 2 bottles of water in the room, and if you finished it before the next morning, just find one of the people still doing some cleaning, and she'll give you a few more. Who can ask for more?

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor can be noisy, as the staff's movements can be heard behind the windows.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank DustyFeet-MacheAnpil
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our stay here was very enjoyable! All the staff members were kind and helpful. They arranged a tuk tuk driver and booked things we wanted to do. The rooms were a good size and clean. The restaurant was delicious!

Only 2 negatives: 1:no hot water in the taps
2: the sunrise breakfast. A great service provided whereby the hotel gives you a breakfast to take with you when you leave very early to see the tombs. However, the boiled eggs were runny and exploded all over our hands. No plastic cutlery was provided, so we couldn't eat them or butter the toast. We ended up only being able to eat a slice of dry bread for breakfast.

These were honestly only small issues though, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They organized a tuc tuc driver for us that was phenomenal. Very honest and friendly. The rooms had a great size and were clean. The pool is amazing to escape from the hot weather. The hotel is really nice. I would recommend they do a major cleaning in the public spaced because it would be sad if the hotel deteriorates. We used the pool after check out and the bathroom available was just dirty. These are minor issues yet. I would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2014

For cambodian standards, this is a good hotel. Globally, it would be scored lower. Kriss, my tour guide/driver, booked this for me, as I asked for a 3 star hotel. I was given the big room, since we were on triple occupancy. I did see a regular room, and my room is huge. It can easily accomodate a lot more, and the room beside the two rooms my family occupied, had 5-6 people in the room! It had a pool, and garden landscapes. The back side was not as well maintained as the pool side, which is a shame. They could have developed the back side, as it contained a pond that could be developed as another attraction.

The breakfast corner is at the top floor, and it is located facing the east, as the diners will be met with the sunrise. It did not make the area hot, as there was a breeze on all the days we ate here. Breakfast choices is a la carte, and I considered the breakfast as light. It is good, since people who go to Siem Reap are supposed to be going for the temple ruins. It would not be good to hike and climb on a full stomach.

The rooms are not well maintained, unfortunately. The paints on the corners and the jambs are peeling. The door locks had been changed as can be seen with a lot of screw holes and chipped paint. the shower enclosure in my room did not have the sliding door, causing the shower water to splash all over the bathroom floor. The bathroom lights needed to be changed to a higher wattage. There is a difference between a wattage setting up for mood, and making it look dark and dingy. The effect was the latter, not the former. The 2nd room's toilet, had cement walls with an open corner instead of a shower enclosure, but this was better designed, as it did not allow shower water to spill over to the bathroom floor. Lighting was the same dark and dingy type. The split type aircon I thought would have a hard time to cool the room, considering the huge room size and the hot, summer temperature in Siem Reap. However, after 2 nights of not using the blankets, I decided to look at the airconditioning unit and discovered the indoor unit of BOTH rooms had filters so clogged that it looked like it hasnt been cleaned for months. After I cleaned the filters myself, our last night was very very comfortable.

I am giving this place 4 stars, when if it was located elsewhere where standards are expected to be higher, I would only give it 3 stars.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank al22tecc
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

It's avery nice hotel. The rooms are very affordable and clean. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The restauraunt is somehow underestimated. I believe this is due to the "simple" appereance. Don't let it fool you!
The waiters are friendly and the food is very good. We we're a bit worried but then we we're overwhelmed by the quality and taste. FYI, we tried the western food so far only. Personal recommendation: The club sandwich!

I'm very happy with our stay!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple