“Cozy and comfortable”

Angkor Spirit Palace
Ranked #187 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They organized a tuc tuc driver for us that was phenomenal. Very honest and friendly. The rooms had a great size and were clean. The pool is amazing to escape from the hot weather. The hotel is really nice. I would recommend they do a major cleaning in the public spaced because it would be sad if the hotel deteriorates. We used the pool after check out and the bathroom available was just dirty. These are minor issues yet. I would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Angkor Spirit Palace

Reviewed May 5, 2014

For cambodian standards, this is a good hotel. Globally, it would be scored lower. Kriss, my tour guide/driver, booked this for me, as I asked for a 3 star hotel. I was given the big room, since we were on triple occupancy. I did see a regular room, and my room is huge. It can easily accomodate a lot more, and the room beside the two rooms my family occupied, had 5-6 people in the room! It had a pool, and garden landscapes. The back side was not as well maintained as the pool side, which is a shame. They could have developed the back side, as it contained a pond that could be developed as another attraction.

The breakfast corner is at the top floor, and it is located facing the east, as the diners will be met with the sunrise. It did not make the area hot, as there was a breeze on all the days we ate here. Breakfast choices is a la carte, and I considered the breakfast as light. It is good, since people who go to Siem Reap are supposed to be going for the temple ruins. It would not be good to hike and climb on a full stomach.

The rooms are not well maintained, unfortunately. The paints on the corners and the jambs are peeling. The door locks had been changed as can be seen with a lot of screw holes and chipped paint. the shower enclosure in my room did not have the sliding door, causing the shower water to splash all over the bathroom floor. The bathroom lights needed to be changed to a higher wattage. There is a difference between a wattage setting up for mood, and making it look dark and dingy. The effect was the latter, not the former. The 2nd room's toilet, had cement walls with an open corner instead of a shower enclosure, but this was better designed, as it did not allow shower water to spill over to the bathroom floor. Lighting was the same dark and dingy type. The split type aircon I thought would have a hard time to cool the room, considering the huge room size and the hot, summer temperature in Siem Reap. However, after 2 nights of not using the blankets, I decided to look at the airconditioning unit and discovered the indoor unit of BOTH rooms had filters so clogged that it looked like it hasnt been cleaned for months. After I cleaned the filters myself, our last night was very very comfortable.

I am giving this place 4 stars, when if it was located elsewhere where standards are expected to be higher, I would only give it 3 stars.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank al22tecc
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

It's avery nice hotel. The rooms are very affordable and clean. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The restauraunt is somehow underestimated. I believe this is due to the "simple" appereance. Don't let it fool you!
The waiters are friendly and the food is very good. We we're a bit worried but then we we're overwhelmed by the quality and taste. FYI, we tried the western food so far only. Personal recommendation: The club sandwich!

I'm very happy with our stay!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Very nice little hotel. Tucked away on the outskirts of town, but only a quick(free) Tuk Tuk ride into town.

The staff was very friendly and eventually became like family. The helped out whenever I needed it and all spoke pretty good English.

The included breakfast did the job daily.

The rooms and bathroom were very good sized.

I had only one problem, the last night I was there the air conditioner never was able cool the room down.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This is an affordable hotel but the ambiance says otherwise. The theme of the hotel was very much synced with the day that awaited us visiting temple ruins. It was outside the city proper and was surrounded by plants but it was just 10 minutes away from the bus stop from phnom penh. it was very peaceful and a dig in the pool is very refreshing after a hot day. I wish it had an elevator but the free breakfast made up for it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Marra R
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Angkor Spirit Palace was a great recommendation, we are so glad we stayed. It's about 10 minutes on a tuk-tuk away from pub street, so it's nice & tranquil. There's is a good size pool & nice gardens around it & so peaceful to relax around. Free tuk-tuk into town & back made it very easy & the staff were excellent & very friendly & helpful.
This was our first visit to Siem Reap & staying in hotel with so much room & great architecture, really added to the experience.
Beds were a bit hard for my liking, but we found this was the case in the majority of hotels we stayed in Cambodia.
I will certainly visit again! Soon I hope.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We had 7 days in Siem Reap and wanted a quiet base from which to explore. This suited us perfectly. It is about a 5min tuk tuk ride to old market and the hotel provides a free tuk tuk service. You can arrange a time for the tuk tuk driver to pick you up for your return journey (free before 10pm). We often didn't know when we would be done so we carried the hotels phone number with us and when we were ready to leave we would have someone call the hotel and explain where we were so we could be picked up. The drivers try and get you to go further than the old market because then you pay them.

The rooms: we had room 108 and it was nice, a little bit dated but nice. We didn't have a bath or safety deposit box as advised on the booking website (hotels.com) but that didn't bother us. The room was close to everything and we liked being on the bottom floor so close to the pool. The only noise problem we had was the trucks going by the hotel at 6am honking their horn.

The hotel restaurant: breakfast was a choice of set menus, there was o my one Khmer option (Khmer noodle soup) this was 2min noodles with some meat and veg. The broth was nice. The other options were western (eggs, fruit etc). My husband had dinner here one night when he wasn't feeling well and had one of the soups ($4.50). He said it was delicious, but again they didn't have many Khmer options and had a number of generic Asian dishes but again mostly western food (burgers, lasagna etc).

Service: the staff were wonderful, we arrived very early and they checked us in within an hour, it was a wedding anniversary trip for us so they decorated the hotel room with flowers and made it very special, they were able to book tour guides/cars/tuk this for us. Some of the star have better English than others but overall it was good service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple