“First stay at Anantara, but many times to Siem Reap” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anantara Angkor Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Anantara Angkor Resort
Ranked #20 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“First stay at Anantara, but many times to Siem Reap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

My strongest memory of my experience and stay at Anantara is of the staff. In particular, the staff at breakfast were so kind and friendly to me and my mother. We looked forward to breakfast each morning for that fact. Also, one specific front desk staff member (whose name unfortunately slips my memory), was particularly helpful in orchestrating a surprise birthday cake for my mother. She planned it perfectly.

Much has already been described in other guests' reviews here so I will try not to be redundant. We were very pleased with the room, especially the comfortable beds and the over-sized bath. The sink area did not provide enough room to place toiletries for one person, let alone two. The expansive windows provided good sunlight and a nice view. If you want privacy, just pull down the shades and draw the curtains. We were able to watch the finals of the Australian Open in the comfort of our room, but if you didn't like what was on the tube and wanted your own choice, you could order a DVD or pop one of your own into the DVD player. Again, the housekeeping staff was very gracious in providing extra water, mosquito spray and anything else we needed.

Now, some of the downsides. In this case I will be redundant about the location...it is a bit removed. For some who want to be away from the hustle-and-bustle, this location is perfect. I prefer to be closer to the attractions, so not having my own transportation and having to arrange or find a tuk-tuk was at times a hassle. Also, the entrance to the hotel is a bit hard to see and find off of Hwy 6. Our driver didn't know where to go when we first arrived. Having so much water around the resort was calming and soothing, except for the fact that they attracted so many mosquitoes. The staff does a good job of fumigation and such, but you can never get rid of all of those pesky buggers. Having citronella candles in the room or other ways to ward off mosquitoes would have been appreciated.

All in all, our stay at Anantara was very pleasant. It's clearly set up as an oasis and should be marketed that way. Thanks once again to the wonderful staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa here on Trip Advisor.

In particular, your recognition of our associates with special mention of our breakfast team is most welcome and will be shared with the team

Our biggest asset is indeed our associates.

I note your other valuable feedback and will work with the team on addressing the practicalities

Should you or any of your family member/colleagues have future plans to visit Siem Reap, please do contact me directly for any assistance required

On behalf of the team here, thank you for choosing our tranquil retreat Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa

Socrates Alvaro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Cambodia totally exceeded our expectations. The temples, we had expected would be grand but what nobody told us was how warm and polite the people are, how eager to please. And the credit for an outstanding stay goes to the GM and staff of this hotel. Mr Socrates runs a wonderful place where each and every staff member tries to go out of his way to make you feel welcome. From Vireak who picked us up and saw us off, to Hong who had the best recommendations for where to eat, to Srei (I hope I got that right) who mixes the most amazing drinks, we felt like we house guests to extremely hospitable hosts. Do not miss the Sothea Club cocktail, we loved the informal mixing with the GM and staff at the cocktail hour. We absolutely loved the personal way in which Mr Socrates Alvaro greeted us, with a handwritten card, and went out of his way to anticipate our needs. Even the drivers who drove us to Pub Street at night were very punctual and accomodating. I recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: The Deluxe room is beautiful, with two showers, one an outdoor one. Really makes for a happy stay! T...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for your lovely feedback on Trip Advisor and indeed for taking time out to share your experience of Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and really pleased that our team made your stay an exceptional one. Recognition of our associates is very much appreciated and one that we all take real motivation from. Your comments will be shared with the resort team

Please do share your experience with your friends and colleagues and it will be my pleasure to assist with enquiries on future stay with us and feel free to contact me directly

On behalf of the team and I, wishing you a great 2014

Munich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

First the good things:
The hotel´s common areas are well-appointed and attractively decorated, the rooms are very clean and nicely furnished. The pool area is small, but the room balconies over the water are a nice touch. The management is interested in their guests and trying to make things work. They do take a personal interest.
The less good things:
1.The rooms are divided up in a sort of dysfunctional way. The decision to have a traditional shower room (which takes lots of room and also provides a channel for noise) along with a regular bath and shower, toilet room and then have the small sink in the middle of the room is kind of strange. No place to put cosmetics. Sofas in room leave little open space, so things seem cramped.
2.The regular staff do not speak English as well as at other local hotels and generally seem a bit overwhelmed.
3. The shades in the room provide privacy during the day (can look out, but not in), but not at night. Then one has to close curtains! The closeness makes the poolside rooms seem to lack privacy.
4.The biggest drawback of the hotel is its location. It is quite far down the airport road out of town. Unfortunately its remoteness does not translate into a beautiful large quiet garden setting.
Tuktuks will take you into town (only 10-15 minutes), but if you use the hotel tuktuk this requires planning both for down and back. No spontaneity. It is easier to spend the $4 to get your own tuktuk - at least back. It seems that the hotel is geared to guests who come for a couple of days, take a tour of Angkor Wat, sit at the pool and eat at the hotel, use its spa, etc. Maybe go once for a couple of hours into town to the market. If you don´t want to have the center of your vacation be your hotel, this may not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Stay in the back. Probably second floor rooms have more privacy. Probably don´t want to stay on the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank PamMunich
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, January 12, 2014

Chum Reap Sou!

Your comments and recognition of our services and facilities assists us in enhancing our guest experience further

As part of our commitment to ensure we meet and indeed exceed our guests expectation is the ongoing development of our associates, this includes both technical and soft skills. I would welcome feedback on any specific concerns you encountered

Regarding our location, whilst we are not in the "centre"of town, I have to say it is actually our strong point in that we are close enough but not too close to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle, traffic and crowd. As with the majority of the hotels in Siem Reap, one has to take a Tuk-Tuk regardless and would not be able to step out and walk to the main part of town. It gives you the opportunity to relax and be away from the crowd after a day sightseeing.

Your comments will be shared with our team and as with other comments on Trip Advisor, our team and I appreciate your feedback and allows us to evaluate our offerings.

Wishing you a great year ahead and If I could be of assistance please do contact me directly and would be pleased to assist

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here once again, now the Sothea has been taken over by the Ananantara group. Surprisingly, no changes have been made to renovate or upgrade the hotel. The main disappointment is the breakfast, which is presented in a poor way, the restaurant looks dated and dark. Dining experience can not measure up with other hotels in Sieam Reap, like the Park Hyatt or the Shinta Mani, which are in the same price category but are much more stylish. We decided not to stay here again. The rooms though are spacious and nice, all overlooking the pool. Location is so so on the national street with merely hotels which cater to group tours.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JR1Amsterdam
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for sharing your experience of your return stay at our resort.

I note your comment on our breakfast offering and would welcome feedback on specific areas you feel we did not meet your expectation. Our current breakfast offerings provide both Asian and European choices as well as selection of Khmer specialties. However, I would be please to look at other areas where you feel we are lacking.

Having re-branded as Anantara in November, I am pleased to share that we have various Anantara enhancements that is scheduled for the property. Though, I am pleased to note that you appreciate our rooms product and certainly offers one of the largest rooms with over 48 SQM for the leading room type category and up to 140 SQM for our Sothea suites

Your feedback is most valuable to us and allows us to set our standards higher. I appreciate your comments and concerns and please feel free to contact me directly if I could be of assistance in the future

I wish you a lovely 2014

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at the Anantara for 6 nights during the festive period 2013 with my family and parents. The hotel had recently changed from the Sothea and so I was unsure if this was going to effect the overall running of it. There was nothing to worry about however.

Plus Points.
*The Staff. They were all so warm, welcoming and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they remembered the little things that we had asked for during our stay. They indulged our 3 year old, playing and making a fuss of him which he loved.
The management were lovely too and gave us some good ideas about what to visit, do etc.

*The rooms were in a good condition, clean and had everything you wanted. They were large enough to have the 3 of us in and still plenty of room for playing and moving about. The balcony was a good addition.

*The pool was great to relax by. It was calm, quiet and peaceful although very cold. I imagine it warms up over the course of the year but be prepared to be brave getting in at the moment!

*Breakfast gave us enough options to make us feel that we could have something different each morning. It certainly filled us up for the day ahead.

*Location wise, the hotel is about 10 mins from the airport and 5-7mins away from the centre of town in a tuck-tuck. It was nice to be out of the centre actually and if you let the reception know that you would like to go into town they will organise a complimentary tuck tuck for you.

The only down side was the prices of the food from the restaurant. On a few occasions we got lunch for our little one at the hotel and it cost the same as a meal for all 3 of us in town. Granted we are paying for the service, location etc and I understand that it is going to cost more because of this, but I do feel that it was still on the expensive side.

Overall I enjoyed staying at the hotel very much and I would stay there again if we were to ever re-visit Siem Reap.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2014

Chum Reap Sou!

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely experience of the Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

Our asset is definitely our associates and thank you for recognizing the excellent service our team provided to you and your family particularly your young one.

Indeed our location is most ideal, close to town but far enough to be away from the hustle and bustle of the center with our complimentary tuk-tuk a short ride away

I note your feedback on the pricing of the meals and will evaluate. I am pleased that the offering is good but we will continue to ensure that we provide an exceptional experience in this regard and improve where we need to.

Your comments will be shared with our team and I would like to thank you once again for staying with us and please feel free to contact me directly for future requirements

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Our four days stay at Anantara exceeded every expectations in every way. We had the most wonderful stay, greeted with warm welcome, beautiful and comfortable room, delicious breakfast, excellent dinner, stunning pool area, spa was good and the staffs at the hotel were outstanding! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and had the most amazing, peaceful and relaxing time.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Guests,

Chum Reap Sou and season's greetings from Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience here on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a lovely stay with us and appreciated the facilities we have on offer.

Most importantly, our team of associates exceeded your expectation and extended warm hospitality.

Your comments will be shared with our resort team and thank you for feedback

Should you have future plans to return, please feel free to contact me for assistance

hong kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed there recently as a last minute getaway from the kids and a chance to visit the temples. We asked for airport transfers and upon arrival we were greeted with cold towels and staff who immediately took our bags. The hotel was a short drive away (delayed slightly as The Cambodian Royal Family was passing by!) and again had cold towels and for once, a really tasty welcome drink. Despite us hating the notion of guided tours, we took up their offer for the next day including a 4.30 start for sunrise over Angkor Wat. The whole day was superb. Our guide was courteous, knowledgeable and a very willing photographer and really added value to the trip. He didnt try pushing any sidetrips to local shops or anything - whatever we wanted to do he did and he did it with a lovely warm smile. After sun-up and a walk around Angkor Wat, we headed back to the hotel for some breakfast and a quick snooze before heading back out to the other temples. The breakfast is nice, but as the hotel has only 40-odd rooms its not the massive buffet most asian hotels have. The staff help out and all the basics are covered, and covered well. The sliced fresh mango is especially good!

The next day we elected to take one of the hotel tuk-tuks arond the lesser known temples without a guide. Again - superb! Again the driver was knowledgeable and was happy to point out certain bits of trivia as we rode along.

We decided to take the tuk-tuk back to the airport but on the final day it was already being used by another guest so they offered us the 4x4 instead at no extra charge. A wonderful way to end the trip.

A lovely moment encapsulated the professionalism of the staff. After having some dinner and enjoying the nightlife in town we decided to head home. We called the hotel (they give you a free cell phone to make calls) to send a tuktuk to pick us up (again, complimentary). We were advised that as it was late, all their drivers had gone home and we were to get into any tuktuk and the hotel would pay. So we jumped into the nearest one and went to the hotel. Upon arrival, the manager came to us and simply said "Thankyou Sir, please have a good night" and ushered us into the hotel without a word of what price we had agreed with the tuktuk driver (an exhorbitant one). We didnt look back and nothing was ever mentioned. Very classy!

If we visit the temples again, this is where my dollars are going.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarkar256
Socrates_Alvaro, General Manager at Anantara Angkor Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013

Chum Reap Sou!

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing Anantara Angkor Resort & Spa as your resort here in Siem Reap.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I very pleased to read that you had a lovely stay with us. Being a smaller property, we are dedicated to provide a more personalized service and I am pleased that our team made your stay a memorable one.

We work with a group of professional guides and having personally been on these guided tours, it is very positive to read of your experience when visiting Angkor Wat

Your feedback will be shared with our resort team and thank you once again for recognizing our team

I wish you a lovely end to the year and our best wishes for 2014.