“A hidden gem”

Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort
Ranked #102 of 384 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the Sonalong last week with our intrepid family.
Rooms were very refreshing, clean bathroom, excellent cooling system and the pool very nice. Enjoyed the meals, next time i visit SR i will def consider staying at Sonalong. The laundry service not to be be faulted, all clothes returned dry and ironed. (have had it returned damp in other tropical countries)...A nice stroll into town..made easier once you know where to go lol, we got lost coming home but that was our fault..too busy looking at sights and not landmarks :)
My only complaint is that we did not stay longer :)

Room Tip: lower level...for the garden views
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Thank you so much SIR and MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort, even positive to negative to improve our facilities near the future.
I do hope to see both of you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed 10 days at Sonalong. That is much longer than most visitors to Siem Reap who come to see Angkor Wat and other temples and rarely stayed longer than 2 days. So we got to know the hotel and the staff, and its strong points and foibles. In short, we will definitely stay there again and intend to return same time (last week in October, first in November) in 2014. The hotel: it is well situated, on the 'quiet' side of the river, the Wat Bo area. It is just seven mins walk from Pub Street, the entertainment hub; but also 5 mins to the Peace Cafe, a well-known, relaxing garden cafe serving superb vegetarian food. Every room at Sonalong has its own balcony/verandah. You are paying for 3 star so don't expect top standard decor, but the rooms and beds are clean and comfortable, the wifi works, it is quiet at night, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful - young and eager to please. The hotel overtly supports 'Childsafe' policies, so no untoward visitors. The pool is small but perfect, with slight soft salt water rather than heavily chlorinated. A main feature are the lush gardens - an excellent mix of scented plants (jasmine etc) and amazing fan palms. The food is adequate. The breakfast menu covers western and Cambodian food. A platter of fresh fruit is daily placed in the fridge in the room – a nice touch. The coffee was odd but the receptive owner/manager, Mr Hak, said he was going to attend to it. And frankly, that was the only mild criticism we had - after 10 days.

Room Tip: We chose a first floor - I think there is a bit more natural breeze (though each room has A/C and a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much SIR and MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review about our resort to TripAdvisor.
I do hope to have a chance to see both of you again.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Sonalong Village was recommended to me by a friend who has stayed here 3 times while helping in the training of the Cambodian Fire Service with AFIRE.
I could not have been more impressed with this restful little oasis. Mr. HAK , the general manager is a great guy who has time for every guest and has a team of friendly,helpful and polite staff around him.
The villas,although a little dated, are spacious and clean. The bathroom is large and unlike some in Vietnam...EVERYTHING WORKS !
The grounds are immaculately kept and beautiful with space between all the villas. Most of the time, I felt as though I had the place to myself even though it was 80% booked.
The pool is also fantastic after a day out exploring and there is a well stocked pool bar.
The location is on the other side of the river, which for me was a good thing, as the hotels around PUB ST. can be very noisy. A 10 min walk gets you to the market and restaurants but the best meals I had were quite close to Sonalong ( Kanell & Cuisine Wat Damnak , reviewed separately.)
Feel comfortable in allowing Mr.HAK to organise your temple tours as well. He has a good source of English speaking guides and drivers to choose from.

Thanks again Mr. Hak for a great stay, Sonalong Villas should be rated in the top 10
I will be back !

Cheers from OZ.

Room Tip: Booking directly with the resort can sometimes be cheaper than the web agency sites and can include...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thank you so much SIR for your valued time to wrote a review about our resort to TripAdvisor.
My staffs and I are very happy to see again for the near future and we will do our best all the guests who will be staying at our resort.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is my second stay at Sonalong and this time I took my family and another family, As usual we all had a fantastic time, the rooms are spacious and clean and the grounds of the hotel are spectacular. The pool area is great to lounge by after a hot day visiting temples, and the staff, well what can I say that adequately does them justice. They are fantastic, helpful, courteaous and friendly, I mean truly friendly. If you are looking for a great place to stay in Siem Reap then look no further than Sonalong Boutique Village. Mr Hak, the General Manager, or indeed any of the front office staff, will look after all your needs from arranging transfers to tours in and around Siem Reap. I will be back.

Room Tip: You will find most rooms overlook the pool but they are all well insulated from noise so this is not...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul v
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you so much SIR for your valued time to wrote about our resort to TripAdvisor.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is beautiful. My only complaint is outside the walls, it is a little dirty and a long lonely walk before getting into town. The grounds are well kept with lush green plants. The staff here are so humble and kind. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you so much SIR for your valued time to wrote about our resort to TripAdvisor even positive or negative.

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

this place is a little piece of heaven most specially how the garden the pool the resto and the rooms are all aligned together,a bit far from the angkor wat but staff will help u get transpo going there,i really recommend this to all;)

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at Sonalong for the few nights we were in Cambodia, and this place made this portion of my Southeast Asia tour one of my favorites! The staff was so friendly and accommodating - they really made you feel like you were welcome and genuinely appreciated you being there. All of the service from the pick up at the airport, to the owner personally welcoming us, to the front desk staff, to the servers at breakfast was exceptional. My friends and I especially liked getting to know Joi, our driver. He was very informative about the areas we were driving through and told us a lot about the country's, and his personal, history. The people were the highlight of Sonalong, but the rooms were also large, clean and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and well-kept, and it was super easy to get into town for food and shopping. I would highly recommend Sonalong to anyone traveling to Siem Reap.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much SIR and MADAM, for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor.
I do hope to see you again near the future.