“my compliments to Mr. Hack”

Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort
Ranked #60 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
los angeles
“my compliments to Mr. Hack”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I spent two nights here in Room 202. My friend stayed in Room 108. We both enjoyed the experience. Mr. Hack is the manager, and he deserves credit for making sure everything runs smoothly here. Rooms are nicely furnished with very comfortable bed and bedding, overhead fan and good quiet A/C. Nice clean bathroom with large shower head and chair in the shower. Balcony is very comfortable with two lounge chairs and overhead fan. Pool has comfortable lounges. Breakfast is excellent and cooked to order.The staff is pleasant and attentive. Seeing the temples in SR is a hot, dusty and tiring experience and I couldn't wait to get back to the room, take a shower and relax on the balcony.

Room Tip: I like the 2nd floor rooms, with great views of the tropical garden from the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
dear SIR we would like to say thank you so much for your time to write a reviews about our resort and yours it is very useful for the future business , . we do hope to see both of you again soon . best regards Mr HAK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Larbert, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Hotel is 10 villas with 2 apartments in each villa, one upstairs one downstairs so there are very few guests around. All villas have a balcony with a couple of very comfortable chairs.

Main reception area is where you go for breakfast and dining. Staff are superb, very friendly and helpful, with good English skills.

Room was a good size and quite comfortable, although the bed is quite firm. Bathroom is basic and no sign of the bath that Agoda mentioned. Shower is a bit sad, not much force and lukewarm but enough to get clean. I found the AC unit quite noisy.

Oddly, there's no phone in the room so you'll have to go down to reception to order room service etc.

A lot of other reviews mention how quiet the hotel is, and it generally is, but you should note that there is a club or bar nearby somewhere that plays loud music at night. I only noticed this on the Saturday night though so it could be an occasional thing. Also note that there is a Mosque nearby so Sunday morning will have a bit of noise too.

Hotel location is within 10-15 mins walking distance of Pub street, although note that the hotel is located on an unlit road, so single women / kids may perhaps feel uncomfortable walking alone. There are a couple of great tuk tuk drivers just outside the hotel though and they'll get you to Pub Street for $1 very quickly.

Wifi coverage is patchy. I couldn't get anything in my room, but had a vague connection on the balcony. You'll need to head down to reception for good coverage.

Breakfast is not a buffet, you pick from a list. Very basic but not bad. The main menu for lunch / Dinner is short, but the food was good. All food / drink within the hotel is quite cheap.

One thing I have to say is that the hotel, although nice, is not a 4 star hotel as advertised. I've stayed in other 4/5 star hotels in Siem Reap and they offer bigger pools / more food selections / buffet breakfast etc. I'd put it as a good 3 star.

This hotel is very good and I'd recommend staying here again.

Room Tip: Only choice is upstairs or downstairs. 10 separate villas.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear SIR and MADAM, thank you very much for your valued time to wrote a review about our facilities to TripAdvisor, of course, we do not have phone in the room as we very small Boutique Hotel only 14 rooms and we still have room services from 06:30 am to 21:00 pm, but the problem guest have to walk from the room to the restaurant or the bar.
The reason that we do not put the phone in the room, because sometimes the guests call the wrong number, especially early morning. One more thing, I am sorry that you said the A/C is noisy and my place is not quiet.
Nearly very hotel in Siem Reap they have only one door, my hotel the ground floor 2 doors and the first has four doors, why do I put 2 and 4 ? because, to stop the noise outside in to the room 100 % the long you close the door, if you close only one door, you still hear little bit sound outside, because this is the wedding season in Cambodia and I can not band them ( this is the Cambodian custom, they make loud music from 4:00 am early morning until 11:00 am and start again at 03:00 pm until 20:00 pm ).
I have security start from 05:00 pm to 07:00 am and I always told my security, any rooms which close one door, you have to close the other door more, but as the proverb said that ( no one is perfect ).
As you know last week the nearly the whole Siem Reap town no power, so the internet provider can not provide, that is sometimes you can get inside the room and sometimes outside the room.
Anyways, I am looking forwards to see you again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a tour through Cambodia and I loved this place.
The room I had was big, very nicely decorated, beautiful balcony to sit on overlooking a tropical garden.
The pool area was really nice and the staff were really attentive.
I liked that it was slightly out of the main part of Siem Reap yet very close by Tuk Tuk.
The breakfast and juices were delicious whether Asian or Western. I had a delicious omelette.
I wanted to just stay longer. I would have no qualms highly recommending this great little villa-styled place.
Safes in the room. About 20 minutes to Angkor Wat and other temples. A beautiful base to visit surrounding area.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much MADAM for your valued time to wrote review about our resort to TripAdvisor even positive or negative to improve our local business.
I do hope to have a chance to see and serve you again someday.

Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed three nights during a birding holiday. Eat here once - very good, but was impressed by restaurants in town. Great rooms - tiled floors, good air con, nice balcony. You could just stay here all day, but that would be mad!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much SIR for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort while you staying with us even positive or negative to improver.
I do hope to see you again one day.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We loved this little hotel...beautiful setting...10+ minute walk from the central market and pub street area...has a salt water pool which is very nice. Staff is friendly. Best fish amok I had while in Siem Reap. I would stay here again. For breakfast, you order from the menu...western style is juice, tea, coffee; fruit plate; eggs to order; or muesli...Cambodian style is fried rice, fried noodles, or soup noodles. We were here several days and tried everything on the breakfast menu except the soup noodles. All our breakfast items were good. We did have some confusion during our first breakfast. Breakfast starts at 6:30am; our tour starts at 7:00am; we could not get fried rice or fried noodles in time for the 7am start. The answer is to let the staff know the day before and they will make sure you have fried noodles or rice in time for an early start.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much MADAM for your valued to wrote a review about our resort to TripAdvisor, even positive or negative.
I will do hope to have a chance to see and serve you and your family again some days.

Miami, FL
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a nice, small hotel with nice landscape and a great pool. The staff was friendly, helpful and would fulfill you requests even if they had to consult another staff member. The tuk-tuk drivers they provided were outstanding; honest, friendly and fun! The room was nice, but the bed was very firm. The shower was awkward because there was a built in bench right below the shower head. The location was about a 10 minute walk to all the restaurants and shops. It was kind of a dark street, but seemed safe to walk anytime (if in doubt, take a tuk-tuk into town). Lastly, as a younger traveler, this hotel seems to attract an older crowd of travelers (if that matters to you).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort and about shower consequence, I agree with you, so the next low season coming shortly, I will take it out ( May or June ).
Thank you again on behalf of, I am the manager of Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort hope to see you next time.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 23, 2013

First and by far the best place we've stayed in Cambodia. Start your trip here and you basically can't go wrong. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The garden is realy nice, as is the pool area (though the pool was rather warm and salty ... if that bothers you). Fantastic breakfast, you can pretty much get whatever you want.

Room Tip: I don't think there's actually bad rooms available here. Ours was a bit more in the back and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toeme
Thank you so much for your value time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort even positive and negative, it is encourage me and our staff to improve our business in the future.
I do hope to see and have a chance to serve you gain.