“Reasonable for the town centre location”

Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
Ranked #399 of 502 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I booked from Phnom Penh, but suggest to go around once you reach Siem Riep as hotels are plenty & take your choice, I was assured a lake view balcony room & I paid a premium. Once reaching Siem Reap, I was told no such rooms available & had to content with std room at no discount. Location is good, right accross the night market bridge & towns attractions like puppet show etc. Basic breakfast availabe. Most curios are cheaper at nearby shops than at tourist attractions. Best to buy Silver jewellery. I bought a load, very beautiful handcrafted. Food is cheap & tasty. Try one of those road side restaraunts, Grilled fish, Amok curry, anything, you will never be disappointed. or the Cambodian 'specialities-you know' which I never tried.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've been traveling throughout SE Asia for the past 5 months, and I have never had a worse experience than I did at this place.
First, they tell you it's $20 for a double, but it's actually $15. Then, when the electricity goes off, they refuse to use their generator because it costs them money. So you sit in your sweltering hotel room, after paying for an "aircon" room, and just sweat. They lie about when they will turn it on, and also about the wifi, which hardly works. When it doesn't work, they say it's a problem with the "company," but then it works a second later and they say the company fixed it.
I complained at the front desk about the heat and asked them to please use the generator as they advertise, and they KICKED ME OUT! They said they would call the police if we didn't leave. They told multiple other guests if they weren't happy they could leave. After we had already paid. I am shocked that these people have a hotel. They are unprofessional and the hotel is terrible. It looks nice, but you will overheat, not have wifi, and...OH...did I mention, when you leave the key at the front desk they hang it up on the wall in the lobby so ANYONE CAN TAKE IT AND GO INTO YOUR ROOM? Don't waste your money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank anoushdadian
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked this hotel as we had heard it was hard to get a room in siem reap. We turned up to be told the hotel was full and hostel bookers had made a mistake. We started to panic about not having a room for a night when they said the did have our rooms but they would be twice the price. A similar thing happened with the free breakfast when we turned up with in the time we were told it had finished unless we paid. The staff were not nice people, in 4 months of travelling this is the only time I have been compelled to write a bad review.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Lcolledge07729
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in that hotel for 3 nights. We booked a twin bed room for 15dollars. The hotel has also dorms at 8dollars. The room was reasonably clean and big enough. Same goes for the bathroom. Breakfast is included but very light (bread and egg). The lobby has a strong smell of enscent which may be a bit uncomfortable when having breakfast. The main advantage of the hotel is that is very near the old market and pub street.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Okay

A tuc tuc driver named wanton took us to ponloue after picking us up from the bus station.

We booked 3 nights in a double room, but we only stayed 2.

Apart from no WiFi, horrible breakfast, ignorant and creepy staff, young rough looking tuc tuc drivers hanging around the entrance all day and night the straw that made us leave was when we returned from our visit to the temples to find a necklace had had been taken from within one of our bags. Actually from within our stuff, so who ever took it had a good look through our things.

I confronted the manager who didn't say anything, he basically shrugged it off. He said nobody had been in the room, even though we had clean towels and beds made. (I had asked on check in that nobody is to visit our room)

While waiting in the lobby for more answers I spoke to a couple of other guests I was sat with who also had stories of their own about the strange staff.

After an hour the manager came to me and asked my partner and i to leave and find another hotel as people were getting worried about their belongings (the 2 people i had spoken to) and it was basically my fault the necklace was stolen.

He would not refund any money for the 2 nights we had there and didn't care in the slightest about the stolen necklace.
He also refused to give me the contact details of the owner so hopefully he/she will see this and sort the place out.

Believe the terrible reviews about ponloue villa and avoid it.

Worst accomodation I've ever experienced from start to finish.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank mxr63
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Bottom line: would we stay here again? No, I don't think so. In a small town with few guesthouses, this hotel would do fine, but in Siem Reap, surely there must be better places.

Not that there is much wrong with this hotel. For $20 we had a clean twin, air-con (not needed in January), tv, fridge, hot water, the works. And all that in an excellent location.

But... the staff seemed to think of their job and their guests as their lot in life and nothing more, something inevitable that they somehow had to put up with. They were loud when moving through the corridors, even early in the morning, and non-communicative towards the guests. We have seen staff with a very different attitude in Cambodia!

By the way, others have mentioned people trying their door. We were in our room late one morning, and staff entered without so much as knocking.

On a positive note: when the laundry was returned, not a single item of clothing was missing (see earlier reviews).

Another thing we weren't entirely happy with: the wifi was spotty at times, and non-existent at night. At first, we accepted explanations of 'a problem', but it became a pattern. Not all hotels have these 'problems', and other hotels in Siem Reap do have good internet.

So would we stay here again? Nooo.... better try somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We visited here in February 2011 and came back in October 2012 and stayed full 10 days!
The place is a good value for the money, convenient location and basic but clean room. We opted for fan room as we don't like a/c so much... The staff was friendly and accommodating and if and when we come again, we would certainly stay at Ponloue Angkor Siem reap Villa again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple