“Con” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa
Ranked #408 of 500 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
“Con”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked this hotel as we had heard it was hard to get a room in siem reap. We turned up to be told the hotel was full and hostel bookers had made a mistake. We started to panic about not having a room for a night when they said the did have our rooms but they would be twice the price. A similar thing happened with the free breakfast when we turned up with in the time we were told it had finished unless we paid. The staff were not nice people, in 4 months of travelling this is the only time I have been compelled to write a bad review.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Lcolledge07729

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in that hotel for 3 nights. We booked a twin bed room for 15dollars. The hotel has also dorms at 8dollars. The room was reasonably clean and big enough. Same goes for the bathroom. Breakfast is included but very light (bread and egg). The lobby has a strong smell of enscent which may be a bit uncomfortable when having breakfast. The main advantage of the hotel is that is very near the old market and pub street.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Okay

A tuc tuc driver named wanton took us to ponloue after picking us up from the bus station.

We booked 3 nights in a double room, but we only stayed 2.

Apart from no WiFi, horrible breakfast, ignorant and creepy staff, young rough looking tuc tuc drivers hanging around the entrance all day and night the straw that made us leave was when we returned from our visit to the temples to find a necklace had had been taken from within one of our bags. Actually from within our stuff, so who ever took it had a good look through our things.

I confronted the manager who didn't say anything, he basically shrugged it off. He said nobody had been in the room, even though we had clean towels and beds made. (I had asked on check in that nobody is to visit our room)

While waiting in the lobby for more answers I spoke to a couple of other guests I was sat with who also had stories of their own about the strange staff.

After an hour the manager came to me and asked my partner and i to leave and find another hotel as people were getting worried about their belongings (the 2 people i had spoken to) and it was basically my fault the necklace was stolen.

He would not refund any money for the 2 nights we had there and didn't care in the slightest about the stolen necklace.
He also refused to give me the contact details of the owner so hopefully he/she will see this and sort the place out.

Believe the terrible reviews about ponloue villa and avoid it.

Worst accomodation I've ever experienced from start to finish.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank mxr63

Travelers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

George Town, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Bottom line: would we stay here again? No, I don't think so. In a small town with few guesthouses, this hotel would do fine, but in Siem Reap, surely there must be better places.

Not that there is much wrong with this hotel. For $20 we had a clean twin, air-con (not needed in January), tv, fridge, hot water, the works. And all that in an excellent location.

But... the staff seemed to think of their job and their guests as their lot in life and nothing more, something inevitable that they somehow had to put up with. They were loud when moving through the corridors, even early in the morning, and non-communicative towards the guests. We have seen staff with a very different attitude in Cambodia!

By the way, others have mentioned people trying their door. We were in our room late one morning, and staff entered without so much as knocking.

On a positive note: when the laundry was returned, not a single item of clothing was missing (see earlier reviews).

Another thing we weren't entirely happy with: the wifi was spotty at times, and non-existent at night. At first, we accepted explanations of 'a problem', but it became a pattern. Not all hotels have these 'problems', and other hotels in Siem Reap do have good internet.

So would we stay here again? Nooo.... better try somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Batu Ferringhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We visited here in February 2011 and came back in October 2012 and stayed full 10 days!
The place is a good value for the money, convenient location and basic but clean room. We opted for fan room as we don't like a/c so much... The staff was friendly and accommodating and if and when we come again, we would certainly stay at Ponloue Angkor Siem reap Villa again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was propably a beautiful hotel a few years back. Now it's been left falling apart and it shows in details. The hose for my shower was only 1 meter long, so I had to crouch for shower. There's an 11-year girl, who works a lot. If you ask something from the men staff, like can I get some soap to my room, they use the young girl for this. She also serves the whole breakfast, while guys are playing with their iPads... Try Tanei guest house around the corner. Has a pool, frienly staff and good atmosphere and pay less.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this place as it was recommended by a blogger. It's 15usd per night and thought that was cheap, then I realized that's pretty much the goon rate for inns around that area anyway (it's not a hotel!)

I was picked up from airport for free and that was a good deal (again other inns provide the same service) and chhong who is looking after the inn (family business) welcomed me from airport too and gave me an overview of the Angkor complex for the next day's trip.

The room is ordinary which is really ok, save for the fact that someone forgot to latch the window (found out the next day) so I had a sleepless night and the mozzies were on a bloodfest. The next night was much better, except I woke up sweating to learn that there was no electricity. Apparently their generator couldn't be up all night and all morning so they had to turn it off around 8. That was ok, but then I was told there was no free breakfast that day (their stoves were running on electricity??)

So all in all, it was okay, but there are other choices around pub st area which could be better... But Siem reap isn't exactly a place you'd come back again to, so I guess I won't find out.

• Stayed September 2012