“Pleasant, quiet and friendly”
Review of Ta Som Guesthouse

Ta Som Guesthouse
Ranked #189 of 343 Hotels in Siem Reap
“Pleasant, quiet and friendly”
Reviewed November 21, 2010

A nice friendly guesthouse 10 minutes walk away from the city centre. Super clean and very spacious rooms, hot water, spot on bathroom and even some amenities like free toothbrushes and shampoo. Decent breakfast is included in the room price. Free pick-up and drop-off from whereever you arrive or depart. The staff in reception is a little ill at ease.
WiFi is free but really crappy and often unusable. Laundry was double the price of small laundry places around the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hjam_81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed November 19, 2010

My wife and I both Loved our stay at Ta Som and Cambodia in general. We could have stayed at one of the fancy Hotels owned by some unknown far away millionaire but based on reviews here on Tripadvisor we decided to stay here and keep the cash flowing locally. We couldn't have been happier. Ta Som is a family run guesthouse and the staff is friendly and extremely helpful. The Guesthouse is within 15 minutes of reasonable walking distance to Pub street, but to be honest, we rarely made it that far before choosing a place to eat and have a few drinks. We particularily liked a place called the Old House Cafe which had superb service and excellent Khmer food and unbelievably resonable prices...(Try the Chicken Amok which is a curry dish with coconut milk...Yummy) We usually hired a Tuk tuk to drive us back to Ta Som and for only $2 for 4 people it was well worth the cost. The temples are absolutely amazing, and will knock your socks off but be sure to save a half a day to visit the floating village of Kompong Phluk. We had never seen anything like it and visually the images of this beautiful village will stay with you forever. Lastly we visited on the last day the amazing Beng Mealea ruins which took 2 hours to get there by tuk tuk but the long journey was worth it as the sights of everyday Cambodian life in the countryside was an eyeopener. Be sure and ask for a tour of the orphange near the village called Harmony Farms, run by 2 Khmer men and western volunteers. The children will make your heart leap with happiness and sadness at the same time. Be sure to make a donation as truly good work is being done here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ScottSkog
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 9, 2010

First impression - good. We booked the Angkor Highlights package tour through email, and Meng was very prompt in his replies. There are ongoing promotions; however, only one of Ta Som's 2 websites features them. We weren't informed of the 10% discount for the package tours, but upon query, it was immediately offered. Personally I wasn't thrilled, but still this didn't cloud my overall impression of the guesthouse and my stay.

My friends and I took the 6pm coach from Phnom Penh, and arrived in Siem Reap just past midnight. The free pick-up service offered was therefore extremely useful - the bus station where we were dropped was some distance away from the guesthouse. We were shown our rooms with minimal fuss.

Room - comfortable and spacious enough. The bathroom was not too cramped, which is rare for a guesthouse. My only gripe was the dust behind the TV rack - and that's just me being a cleanliness freak - and I only discovered the dust when pulling out the TV rack to get access to the power sockets.

Breakfast - basic but decent. We got to choose from a selection of eggs (sunny side up, hard boiled or fried), noodles (friend or soup) and beverages (coffee or tea). The eggs and noodles were good, the coffee was too mild for my liking.

Angkor Highlights tour - brilliant. Our tour guide (I think his name is Phann) was very knowledgeable and humorous. At first I was slightly worried that we wouldn't be able to cover all the temples on the itinerary, but by the end of the 2 days, we had actually covered more than what was stated in the itinerary. Phann brought us to a secluded and quiet spot to watch the sun rise over Angkor Wat, avoiding the throngs of tourists on the main boulevard.

Chong Kneas Floating Village - I thought it was pretty cool that the package tour included this on the itinerary, giving temple-weary tourists a good break. However, on hindsight, I'd have preferred to explore Benteay Srei and the Roulos temples further afield. If you had been on a boat trip to the Mekong Delta, you might find the Tonle Sap boring, despite its status as the largest lake in Southeast Asia, its great biodiversity and the curious reversal of its flow in between the dry and wet seasons.

Location - there's a free tuk-tuk service from the guesthouse to the Old Market, which is near Pub Street, home to the restaurants and watering holes. A tuk-tuk back to the guesthouse set us back by USD2 each time, though I'm pretty sure there are drivers who will accept USD1 in the day.

We have Meng to thank for warning us against buying notebooks or snacks to present to the children in the floating school - some Singaporean apparently bought 10 notebooks for USD40. If it were charity I wouldn't have minded, but this was clearly a well-planned scam. We were quoted USD15, which was still exorbitant given that one notebook could not have cost more than 30 cents, plus our 'guide' was almost certainly entitled to a huge cut.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank zestymushroom
Bangkok,
Reviewed November 5, 2010

It wasn't until 30 minutes before I left when I did my research on where to stay in Siem Reap. And Ta Som was the first guest house that caught my attention because of the reasonable rate and the very favorable reviews of previous clients. So it was decided that we will stay here. Our taxi dropped us off in front of the guest house and the staff greeted us with the warmest Cambodian hospitality. The staff were friendly and always willing to help. Our tuktuk driver who took us around the temples was amazing. He's name is Mori and if you want him to bring you around I suggest that you would. He is very reliable. And how can I forget Mr. Meng, the manager (or maybe owner, idk). The coolest person ever. He shared with us his afternoon snacks. LOL! Having said all that, my stay was perfect. I would definitely spread the word to everyone I know that this is the place to stay in Siem Reap. Can't wait to go back. :)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dohnpedro
Boulder
Reviewed November 4, 2010

This is not a top end hotel. The hotel is fronted by a dirt access road. The staff sleep on the lobby floor at night. If this seems simply ghastly to you, do not stay at the Ta Som. With that out of the way...

This hotel is a great value! The staff is fantastic, friendly, and service oriented. It is located within 15 minutes walking distance to old quarter. Rooms were spacious and clean. Wireless internet was available in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kmcolo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Staff and Service: friendly, helpful and polite - there was always a smile on everyone's face. The guesthouse provided airport transfers (both ways) and also picked us up from the Siem Reap bus station upon our arrival from Phnom Penh. This was great service!

Rooms: The room was clean and comfortable. Our room had a King size bed with air con so it was really comfortable after a hot day outside. The breakfast menu was fixed, but at least they were flexible on the time we wanted to eat. The welcome drink was delicious!

If you're a light sleeper, then you may be woken up early in the morning if your room is on the kitchen side - noises of cooking and washing of dishes!

Location: it's not at Pub Street where the night life is, but it's near the Airport and Angkor Wat. The walk to Pub Street was about 15-20min, but, strongly advice not to walk too long at the streets as it's dusty and the sun is scorching! Tuk Tuk ride was only US$2 so we just Tuk Tuk everywhere we went.

Some areas to improve: wifi strength in the rooms not very strong.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Since 2003, I’ve been to Cambodia 5 times and I’ve always stayed at Ta Som Guesthouse.
Only 3-minute walk to the bustling tourist street, Ta Som Guesthouse has improved itself to a decent place for tourists like me. Always feel like coming home each time I came and surprised with its better plus better services & utilities.
Free pick-up, welcome drink, rooms are big neat and clean with AC, free-wifi, internet…. and warm welcome.
If you stay long, they have special promotion. We stayed 4 nights and they offered a free dinner. Traditional Cambodian food was our choice and it was SOOOOO NICE… :-) you should try, too.

I definitely recommend Ta Som Guesthouse to my friends and to all of you,
It’ll make your trip complete.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends