“Comfortable Rooms, Friendly Staff, Convenient Location”
Review of Ta Som Guesthouse

Ta Som Guesthouse
Ranked #191 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Forest Row, UK
“Comfortable Rooms, Friendly Staff, Convenient Location”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Ta Som guesthouse was a very pleasant first experience of Cambodia. The staff were exceptionally welcome and friendly. We had a spacious and spotlessly clean room with a good view, and the guesthouse is conveniently located on the north west corner of Siem Reap - which makes it handy for the Angkor complex in one direction and within 10 minutes walk of Pub Street in the other!
I am usually wary about booking transport and tickets through guesthouses, as I assume they take a commission - but in the case of Ta Som it seemed to work the other way round: they booked a 'Buffet and Dance Show' for us at $8 a head (instead of $12 payable at the door), and they offered an identical boat trip for $6, for which we had paid $30 at the boat station (beware the various scams at the Tonle Sap boat station - which will be subject of another review!). I eventually booked everything through Ta Som - they have an excellent choice of tours around the Angkor site, with precise itineraries and prices, and they also arranged our bus and air tickets. We had originally planned for 3 days in Siem Reap, but we enjoyed it so much that we stayed 10 days.
One of the things that made the stay enjoyable was the friendliness and helpfulness of our tuk-tuk driver, Mr EsBee, who is attached to the guesthouse, and who could not have been more helpful and obliging.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
world traveler
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked here for 5 nights through their webpage and on day 3 I am happy I did. I took a fan room for 8 USD per night. They picked me up for free at the bus station with their tuk tuk driver who is a lovely man and gave me a delicious welcome drink and fresh fruit. The hotel is within 10 min walk of most places you would want to go in the city and has a minimart right next door. Though it is on a main street it is quiet in the day and at night. The room was large and quite comfortable, with two soft double beds, a large closet, tables, mirrors and a private bath with hot water. There were foreign language stations on the tv and a small refrigerator as well. A basic breakfast and drinking water was included in the price. They could book travel and tour services as well with clearly marked prices. My only complaint would be that the room was not sparkling clean, most notably the bath and fridge. The staff however were very receptive and friendly and clearly wanted guests to be happy. Anything I asked for was accomodated and there was no problem with communication. I'd recommend this to travelers on a budget who don't want to do a hostel or dorm. Good place that is also a good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here 4 nights and it was nice. $15 per night with a/c, hot/cold water, breakfast, mini-fridge, and pick up from the bus station. Our room had 2 windows and was on the second floor. It's located out of the center so it's quiet, and far enough off the main road to avoid a lot of street noise.

The staff are extremely helpful, nice, and friendly. We booked a tour of Tonle Sap Lake for $10/per person. Breakfast was good and the service was fast. The only complaint is the bus they booked for us to Sihanoukville - it was not very nice, but it was cheap, and only $10 (Siem Reap - Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville). Capitol Tour was the bus company and I would not ride with them again.

The guesthouse offers package tours to the Angkor Complex and related sights, but in my opinion it's a little pricey. We booked with a private tour guide and saved money - Sam Harry - siemreapservice@gmail.com. Absolutely fantastic tour. Compare prices on your own between the hotel and Sam.

There is a 24 hour mini mart/petrol station next to the guesthouse where you can get snacks, beer, water, basic toiletries at normal prices - we check against another super market at prices were the same. There is also Angkor market in town which is a supermarket used by locals. Avoid Lucky Supermarket - it's expensive and for tourists only.

Room Tip: Get an A/C room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I was in Siem Reap Cambodia recently from July 21st to July 26th and I had booked my stay well in advance with Ta Som guest house. The moment I came out of the Airport, a person with my name on a placard from Ta Som was waiting for me to be taken to the guest house. He was Esbee a very friendly Remork ( cambodian version of Tuk Tuk) driver who for the next day three days took me around visiting various temples.

I was received by Mr. Meng, the friendly manager at the Guest house with whom I had been communicating on emails. I was given a nice cold welcome drink which I understand was made from coconut milk and it tasted very good. The room was very spacious with good airconditioning and decent and clean toilet. The only thing I missed in the room was a kettle.

Mr. Meng arranged me the same Tuk Tuk to take me around the temples for next three days.
It was very reasonable and comfortable too. For the first day when we went around in small tour of temples that covered Angor Thom, Angor Wat and Sunset on Bakheng Hill cost me USD 12. Esbee had kept chilled bottles of water in his tuk tuk and gave them at the right moments! He was so nice.

Next day I was asked to get up at 5am to go to Angor Wat to see the sun rise. It was really worth to see the sun rise behind the great Angor Wat. Please remember to take a torch with you as it will be very dark when you enter the temple. We came back to the guest house around 7 am for our break fast. The complimentary break fast at the guest is good enough with some fruits too. After the shower and breakfast we undertook the grand tour visiting the further temples like Ta Phram, Pre Rup, Ta Som, Mebon etc. For this day the charge for the tuk tuk was USD15 because it included an additional trip for the sun rise.

The Guest house arranged me the ticket for buffet dinner and dance show at the near by Koulen 2 restaurant and they even dropped me there. It was a good buffet with lot of Khmer dishes and one can really taste almost every khmer food.I had gone to the restaurant directly the previous day and they told me it is USD12 for the buffet and show but through my guest house I got it for USD 8!

On the third day I fixed a bit longer tour which cost me USD 25 but at the end of the day I felt it was really worth. I was taken to the banteay Srei temple which was very beautiful and also to the little water fall on a mountain which is considered very sacred for the cambodian. It is 1.5 km climb through rocks and thick forest but again worth the trouble.

One the way back we visited the Wat Samre temple too and evening I was put on the Capitol tour bus to Phnom Penh. I stayed for one day in Capitol Guest house to see around Phnom Penh. This stay and to and fro bus tickets were all arranged by Ta Som Guest house. I did not find capitol guest house very good as the airconditioning was really bad..and room with no windows was bit uncomfortable. Since the bus stops right in front of the guest house it was good especially since your bus reach there past midnight. The return bus to Phnom Penh also start from there and so for convenience wise it was good to stay there though I was not very happy with the rooms and even the attitude of the staff which was not very friendly.

My return to Siem reap was very comfortable and I was surprised to see Esbee waiting for me at the bus station at Siem Reap which is little further from the city center. I was really impressed by the way Ta Som Guest house arranged my pick ups and dropping at Airport/Bus station and they are all free!

I found the staff of Ta Som guest very very friendly and caring and their arrangements for local tours are very good. The free wifi worked well in the rooms too with fairly good speed.The complimentary breakfast is good. In general I am very very happy with Ta Som Guest house and I would recommend it to all budget travelers,.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank terryjose
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We are three backpacking RTW for 14months, so if you are a package tourist looking for daily housekeeping, in-room foie gras breakfast and infinity pool all for $5/night, look elsewhere. Also, welcome to Cambodia, tuk-tuk touts are everywhere, so politely decline and go about your way.

That being said, this guesthouse was a welcome reprieve from the hard mattresses, bedbug infested excuses for guesthouses we have had the pleasure of along the way. The staff wasn't incredibly smily and perky, but they were helpful, the Internet is fast and connection speed is great (go to the top balcony and log into #2). We stayed in room 114, which had incredibly comfortable foam mattresses, a large ceiling fan, TV and refrigerator. The bathroom was spotless. They offered free water bottles for each guest, as well as shampoo and toothbrushes. The location is about a 10 minute walk from Pub Street, and is incredibly quiet, we had no street noise in 114. Breakfast was included in our tariff, and it was awesome. Two fried eggs, coffee/tea, baguette, butter and jam. Again, not the Four Seasons Siem Reap, but it was $5/pppn!

I would recommend this property hands down, it made our stay in Siem Reap much more comfortable!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anthony P
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This guesthouse is great!! Clean and spacious rooms. breakfast is great! the location is near the old market and night market and restaurants. Staff are friendly and courteous, the best ones shoud i say.they can help arrange tours and transfers for your travels as well!
The owner Mr. Meng and his family are so warm and helpful. we feel at home and comfortable during our stay here.
This guesthouse impressed me very much and on the whole went over and beyond my expectations. I will definitely recommend this to anyone who is travelling to Siem Reap and looking for a fantastic guesthouse in the centre of town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dana115
Mae Sai, Thailand
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This place has the best staff, and it's affordable with good breakfast included and wifi throughout the hotel. I also really like the location, which is just a 10-minute walk to the tourist center of Siem Reap, but nicely removed from the action so that it stays quiet. I have stayed here twice now, and I absolutely will stay here every time I come to Siem Reap!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple