The Kool Hotel
$155
$145
Anantara Angkor Resort(Siem Reap)
$177
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
$134
$117
Sarai Resort & Spa(Siem Reap)
$127
$72
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 13, 2009

We were looking for a good mid range hotel, and The Kool Hotel nailed it. We stayed for 2 nights and paid about $50 per night for a double room.

The standout for me was the service... the reception managers are amazing - they are polite, friendly, trustworthy and helpful. A couple examples, the reception manager overheard a conversation we were having about visitng Angkor Wat and joined the conversation. He provided all the options...pros and cons in perfect english and preceded to organise the full day for us. Example, my poor girlfriend was sick and when the reception manager (Sothy I think his name is) found out he bent over backwards to organise medication and offered assistance if things got worse.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, with TV's, warm water, comfortable beds - exaclty what you would expect from $50US a night accomodation. After a long day at the temple the small swiming pool is a perfect place to cool down...you can also order booze and food for around the pool.

I got a massage at the hotel and while it wasn't anything special it was down in the convenience of our room and wasn't too expensive.

This place is highly recommended if you are in the $30-80 range.

The only downside is that it is a bit of a walk to town. However, to combat this the hotel offers free shuttle buses at night from 7-9pm.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheHunterTravel
Reviewed December 13, 2009

The hotel is a little way out of town, although the main area can be reached by tuk tuk ($2) or by the free minibus service the hotel offers in the evening, although the last one back departs at a rather early 9pm.

Our room (the least expensive available) was clean and spacious, although as with many hotels in Southeast Asia the bed was far too hard for our liking. Also, whilst the room had remote control lighting and air-conditioning, it did not have a fridge or a safe. The decor of the rooms is very nice though, as it is throughout the hotel.

The management and staff are very friendly, although the fixed price they have for the standard tuk-tuk day tour to Angkor Wat ($15) is $5 higher than the fee we agreed with the tuk-tuk drivers who wait outside the hotel gates i.e. if you organise this through the hotel they take a cut. The management are quite keen on selling you these trips, and when we arrived (in the evening after a long bus journey) we were given a 20-minute "briefing" about tours etc. to Ankgor Wat when we would rather have gone straight to the room.

The restaurant food was pretty good, other than the breakfasts which were pretty bad; we tried most of the things on the breakfast menu over the four days we were there: e.g. a cinnamon bagel = a sweetbread bun.

The pool area is very pleasant (perhaps the best part of the hotel) and the pool seems clean and well-maintained.

One minor complaint is that if you want a bottle of water/soft drink/beer, from the fridge in reception the hotel charges very inflated prices for them.

In summary, our experiences here were mixed - I certainly think the hotel has potential, but I do not think it is quite as good as some other reviews suggest.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Parkus
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I booked a room at this hotel based on many great reviews on serveral websites. Some of my friends also just came back from thier Indochina tours and stayed at the Kool Hotel last month. They said I MUST stay here and it's true, everything was great, my room was nicely decorated and very clean, the pool was well-maintained and just great relaxing place after your long day at temples. The staff were one of the most charming people I ever met. They could help you out with all requests and tours. I felt very welcomed. Highly recommended and definitely will come back again next time!

PS, thank you Sothy and his lovely team for making my trip to Siem Reap just perfect!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Arrived in Siem Reap early in the morning at 7am. The hotel driver picked me up free of charge (make a request by emailing the hotel staff). My room wasn't ready for check in but the staff gracefully gave me a spare room for the morning to put my luggage, take a shower and catch up on some sleep until my room was ready at 12pm.

The service is excellent! Welcome drinks on arrival and they even gave me a map and spent 10 minutes showing me where to go in Siem Reap, what to see and do. Sothi (the guy at reception) even gave me his mobile phone number so I could call him whenever I needed anything.

Rooms were big, clean and modern. I loved the 5 powerpoints in the room which came with international multi-plug adapters so you could charge your phone, camera etc.. aircon, shower were strong and worked perfectly. The breakfast menu had a big variety of local Khmer and western food. Fast service too!

Pool was clean, free broadband internet available (fast) and the staff always had a nice welcome smile whenever you came back to the hotel after a long day of travelling and exploring Angkor Wat.

*dislike* the noisy construction site next door (they're building a Korean guest house) which started around 9am - 6pm. If you like to sleep in, ask for a room facing AWAY from the construction next door.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coolwater78
Reviewed December 10, 2009

My husband, son and I stayed at the Kool Hotel the first weekend of December based on trip advisor's rave member reviews. I don't get what everyone loved... It was a decent hotel but not worth the money. We had to ask for soap and towels in our room twice. No bedside lamps. For $80 a night - I expected more. The worst? The pool continually had phlegm floaters deposited by the construction crew busily at work 10 feet from the pool area. Very noisy and uncomfortable with crew leering at sunbathers. Would definitely find a different place to stay next time we go to Siem Reap.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family