“Very Good Option in Siem Reap”
Review of The Kool Hotel

The Kool Hotel
Ranked #213 of 373 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked this hotel because of its good reviews and the competitive rates they offered.
I would like to highlight that this is a 2/3 star hotel and my review/rating is based on this fact.

Following there is a list with some of the highlights of the hotel:

The rooms are clean/comfortable.
All the staff in the hotel were very kind, polite and attentive. They did all they could to make my stay enjoyable.
Breakfast selection was good.
The hotel is only a short tuk-tuk ride from the central area of Siem Reap (10 minutes = ca. $1.50 per ride).
It is close to the temples (by car/ tuk-tuk).

Surprisingly, I found that Siem Reap had a lot to offer. With so many things to do, I spent very little time in my room. Thus, the Kool Hotel provided excellent value for money.

I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. However, if you are interested in luxury accommodation, or are planning to spend a lot of time in your room / swimming pool, you would probably want to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rbravo

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I recommend The Kool Hotel if you are looking for good standard and accept a short tuk-tuk ride or some minutes walk to get to the middle of the action, i.e. Pub Street.
The hotel offers complimentary pick-up from the airport (or drop-off, not both). Typically drop-off is charged USD 5 by tuk-tuk and USD 10 by car. The tuk-tuk driver showed up at the airport, as expected, though I confirmed my booking late the same day. The driver made himself easily identified. At arrival I was welcomed by a very friendly and helpful staff. Check-in and check-out is fast and efficient. The staff speaks English well, especially the receptionist

The hotel is located approximately 20 – 25 minutes walking distance from Pub Street, the Night Market and the Old Market. Tuk-tuks are readily available just outside the hotel. But the obvious attractions are the wats and temples, and tours to the attractions are arranged by the receptionist.

The building is nice and appears well maintained. The interior is pleasant Cambodian with nice decoration and either polished stone floors or dark wood.

The hotel offers complimentary breakfast with a good variety of prepared local and international dishes to choose from. It is served by very friendly and polite staff.

Leaving very early in the morning, I noticed a high and good security during the night.

As located a few hundred yards down a lane from the main road (among residential houses), I expected the area to be quit during the night. But my sleep was disturbed by barking dogs from the house next by a few times during the night.

The room was very clean and well decorated. My room had a little balcony. It was OK for drying wet swimming suit and nothing more. The bathroom was standard with all necessary amenities. My only problem was lack of hot water in the very early morning (4:30 AM). The sink was a little loose and the toilet seat was missing a screw to fasten it.

WFfi at the hotel is complimentary, Two PCs are to the guests disposition. The WiFi performance and reliability is poor.

The hotel has a nice swing pool and a small space along its sides for sunbeds.

Exemplary the hotel actually informs on their web page that paying at reception by credit cards will add 3% to the bill.

Note that the ruling currency in Siem Reap is USD, not the local currency. All prices in restaurants, shops and at attractions are in USD, hence no need to change to the Cambodian currency.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AG_Johnson
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel is great! The lobby and breakfast area is nice to sit. Many choices for breakfast. We didn’t have lunch or dinner over there.
The room is great! Very clean, a lot of comfort (nice bed, TV, closet, sitting spot, little balcony, fridge, airco and a marvelous bathroom even with bath) Every day we received two bottles of water.
There is a very nice swimming pool with beds too and even a garden. When we were there we were the only ones in the pool. There weren’t much tourists during our 3-day stay.
There is a laundry service too. We used it but our clothes were washed but not clean at all (they were very muddy after a quad ride).
There is a security guard at the hotel all the time and tuk-tuks in front of the hotel. For 4 US$ you can get a ride to the centre of Siem Reap to have dinner. They even wait for you there to bring you back.
The best thing about the hotel is the personnel, they were super-friendly!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Applewoman1973
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We found the staff incredibly helpful and friendly, although some of the waiting staff spoke little English they had only recently commenced employment and were always willing. Mr Sothy and his wife were excellent, very personable and keen to train their staff to a high standard.
The hotel was in a quiet location, we used the hotel transport to get in and out of town in the evening. The swimming pool provided a great place to relax and the massages were very good value. The rooms were clean and comfortable (especially considering the price).
Our tuk tuk driver for Angkor Wat, Mr Pich, was a lovely polite man and very patient, providing an excellent service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sue D
Reviewed December 21, 2012

There is absolutely not one bad comment I could make about the Kool Hotel... if you're looking for a quick answer on why you should stay there then my top reasons are: amazing hospitality, great food, relaxing environment... throughly recommended accommodation whilst in Siem Reap, book now! :-)

If you're looking for further reasoning then here goes a little 'light reading'...

For our entire stay we were made to feel so welcome by everyone who worked at the hotel, especially Sothy (who I presume is the hotel manager?)... he greeted us with a welcome drink & useful local information on our arrival, chatted to us whenever we saw him around the hotel & waved us goodbye as we headed back to the airport 3 days later.
I can honestly say that despite being fairly well travelled at varying standards of accommodation around the world, I have never experienced such warm hospitality to the point that I could have cried as we left!
The hotel is a little out of town but that didn't bother us at all (if you could stand the heat you could walk it in 20-25 mins, a tuk tuk would cost you no more than a couple of US dollars or there's also a free hotel shuttle bus than runs at set times)... in fact we loved the tranquility of the hotels environment & although we enjoyed our evenings spent in the restaurants & bars on 'Pub Street' in the centre of Siem Reap, we were glad we could get away from it at the end of the night & wake up in a peaceful hotel.
There were plenty of tasty food & drink options available which were extremely well priced, breakfast (which is included in the room cost) also provided something to suit everyone... I spent 3 weeks travelling around Vietnam after visiting Siem Reap & despite numerous attempts I couldn't find anywhere that can do fresh banana pancakes & mango shakes as good as the Kool Hotel, I'm sure I'll dream about those yummy pancakes for many months to come!
Airport transfers by tuk tuk are also included within the room rate which is another great perk... our driver was lovely & remained as our driver throughout our visits to the Angkor complex.
Obviously the main reason people visit Siem Reap is for Angkor - we purchased a 1 Day/24 hour pass upon entering the park for sunset, this ticket entitles you to return the next day (this isn't clearly advertised as I'm sure they would like you to purchase a 2 day pass which isn't necessary if this is all you intend to do)... we spent sunset at Phnom Bakheng & returned the next day for sunrise at Angkor Wat (magical experience) followed by visits to the Bayon & Phrom temples before returning to the hotel in time for breakfast & some poolside chill out time. If you have the time I'd recommend visiting the local floating village (the hotel can arrange this for you) which is a very humbling experience & a chance to see the 'real Cambodia'.

I used Trip Advisor to plan my travels across Vietnam & Cambodia but have only ever wrote one hotel review on here after a bad hotel experience... however after a throughly enjoyable time in Cambodia & a fantastic stay at the Kool Hotel I felt compelled to tell fellow travel planners that this hotel really is a must & so much more rewarding than staying at a large 'chain hotel'... you'll know exactly what I mean when you visit, which I really hope you do! :-)

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank mb1983s
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Although a little out of town, a $2 tuk tuk ride and we were there in 5 mins. Tucked away in a side lane, first impressions are a nice, clean hotel with very attentive staff, nice setting, good pool, good prices for food and drink.
The manager, Sothy is very friendly and welcoming. He arranges a driver to the Angkor sites and even arranged to bring us back after the sunrise so we could enjoy our breakfast, then go back out again for the other sites.

Room air on and fridge is cold, bed is firm, but we like it that way.

Would recommend and would stay again.

Room Tip: Only 3 levels but no lifts. Suggest room overlooking garden as the other side is close to a temple w...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Galvo1
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in "The Kool Hotel room 203 - a nice corner room on the second floor. It cost $48.

Our stay didn't start great. The car we booked to collect us fro the airport didn't show up. We tried to call them (which obviously became horrifically expensive to do on an international mobile) but there was no answer for a long time. When someone finally answered they couldn't speak English. Eventually a friendly airport staff member spoke to them on our behalf. Instead of the hotel calling a driver, they gave us a mobile number to call a driver ourselves. Well over an hour after landing a tuk tuk came to pick us up. The staff was incredibly apologetic and blamed their system having gone down the day before. They offered us a free massage and free return. The tuk tuk was meant to be free either way but when we got charged $7 for the transfer anyway!

The massage was great, I could overlook their check of their mobile phones, until it came to the neck. The grip she took on my neck is known to be dangerous and ended up causing me such a neck and head pain that I felt physically sick for hours.

Good:
* The hotel look as good as in the pictures.
* The friendly staff. Two of them spoke fluent English and were really helpful.
* Good and quiet AC (but turned off when you leave)
* Fantastic tuk tuk driver at good price. We hired our guy for 3 days in the end.
* Good breakfast
* Free transport into the centre and back 3 times a day

Not so good:
* Location too far (because it's too hot) to walk to anything and there's a dark alleyway to walk down.
* Most staff speak the very most basic English or none at all. .
* Only tepid water in the morning (water was only hot in the evening) & it took ages to drain away. No fan in bathroom.
* Totally rock hard bed. I kept loosing all feeling in my arms.
* Noisy (doors have no restraint) when people came home from night out / got up for sunrise visit to temples. Dogs barking on and off in the night.
* Room safe unusable as it is not bolted down, someone could actually carry it away.
* Intermittent wi-fi and only able to run one thing at the time on wi-fi
* Pool is meant to be open to 8pm but they removed all stuff and turned off most lights as soon as the sun went down.
* If you don't take your key with you and arrive back after 10pm it's left on the counter!
* Security guy speaks no English and he is the only staff available after 10pm. He does not understand to even contact another staff member. We had forgotten our key and there was no way to make him understand this. Eventually one of the other staff members noticed us from outside and gave a key to the guard to take us to our room. When the guard left he didn't take the key with him. It was the master key (it said so on the key).

This may seem quite negative but I think this is a gem in the making. They are almost there to be a perfect gem. For me the biggest issues were how awfully hard the bed was and the lack of security. If they fixed the bed, bolted down the safe, didn't leave your key out unattended on the reception desk - it would be a fine place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple