“Clean, Tidy and unbeatable service....love you guys!”
Review of Happy Guest House

Happy Guest House
Ranked #27 of 508 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Backpacker type guest house, but with all the additional extras for your holiday to turn into one adventure after another. Service was outstanding and nothing was too much trouble, they will organise anything for you and your future travels out of Siem Reap, Tours, local knowledge, places that you don't hear about if you stay in a hotel. I Shall Be Back!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kimmy M

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed for three days here. and I'm leaving tomorrow, so far it's been a great experience, just that you've got to ensure that you've gotten them to pick you up from the bus stop / airport and that you've booked bikes with them! And if you're a non-smoker it isn't really nice to stay in the lounge, but they serve great food at great prices!! Staff's really helpful and do pick the right tuktuk drivers and haggle with them about the prices. The onwer was really helpful in helping us book both a tuktuk and an experienced Guide to Angkor Wat and a bus to Battambang. But, the rooms aren't crazy cold, some staff speak smattering English, while some speak perfect English (so it can be a little difficult if you don't speak Khmer), but well overall a great experience!

Room Tip: Try the sandwhiches, they're out of this world! bring bug repellent cause the lounge is full of...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

The guesthouse next door is much, much nicer.
We stayed at Happy Guest House on our first night in Siem Reap and moved next door in the morning. The rooms next door are a lot nicer for the same price.
When we got to Happy, the floor inside was flooded and there were dead cockroaches on the floor. I was showed two rooms. One downstairs and one upstairs. Both had a really damp smell but the one downstairs was considerably worse.
There was also someone sleeping next to the stairs upstairs and snoring pretty loudly. We could hear it in our room. Plus there was a smell of BO upstairs.
We also weren't told that thy had hot water until we were moving to the place next door the next morning. Although, I don't think it would have made us stay there anyways.
I don't like to write bad reviews but I wouldn't recommend this place. :(

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I loved my three day stay at this guest house. As far as guest houses go in a third world country, this one was really great. They were really helpful with finding transportation around the city. The breakfasts were great. There is wifi, AC if you pay a little extra, and a cute little cafe. The service of the staff was the best part. They were always more than willing to help.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at the happy guesthouse for 4 nights while travelling with two friends. We booked in advance after a friend of mine recommended it as a good place to stay, and were given a free transfer from the bus station to the guesthouse.

Our tuk tuk driver (Mr keon... Though that may be spelt wrong!) was brilliant, and was there whenever we needed a ride for the whole time we stayed, and then always waiting somewhere we could find him when we finished what we were doing. It was lovely to know we weren't being ripped off... the one time we did get a tuk tuk in town the man told us it was $3 initially, until we told him we knew the same journey was only supposed to be $1. He also turned the tuk tuk into 'party tuk tuk' one night with LED lights and music which was the most surreal experience of my entire month in asia and was absolutely fantastic!

The rooms were great value. Ours was huge and yet so cheap, and it was clean with comfy beds and lots of storage. If you are expecting an upmarket hotel you may be disappointed but it was perfect for a comfortable place to stay for the evening, and the guesthouse is in quite a quiet area which was nice for the evenings when we didn't go out (and it was no problem at all getting to pub street on the nights we did!).

The best thing by far about the happy guesthouse has to be the owner, Chhorpoan. As soon as we arrived she welcomed us with a smile and we got some food from the restaurant (very good value). We had no idea what we wanted to do the next day, and she spent ages that evening and over the next few days helping us work out how to fit everything we wanted to do in, and suggesting things we might enjoy. We were very difficult at times due to our own uselessness (we kept changing our minds) and she always helped us with a smile, and ensured we had a great time. She also really engages with guests, often bringing back Cambodian foods (eg. embryo eggs) and letting guests try them, and always happy to chat with you. I cannot believe that such a young lady studies at university and works so hard making the happy guesthouse a brilliant place to stay - she really is such an inspiration!

I would definitely recommend the happy guesthouse, and would love to return in the future!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Pros:
• Location in a little quiet street, near many other GHs to choose from in case
• Friendly & available staff, taking care of issues (e.g. when my sink was clogged)
• Relatively cheap restaurant downstairs where to chill out with the free WiFi
• Can arrange trips, tickets, etc. for honest prices (always bargain a bit of course)
• Budget room are value for money (the 6$ one, not the 4$ one) & spacious enough
• Fan working well so not too hot

Cons:
• My bathroom was just ok clean and there was hardly any light
• Walls & floors in my room weren't cleaned properly although I requested daily "make my room" service (free)

Conclusion:
Siem Reap is literally lined up with hotels & guest houses so you might want to explore a few before deciding. However, I believe Happy GH is good value for money if you're on a budget, and I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: My room (403) was on the last floor and had 2 large windows, so in the morning the rising sun would...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Staff were very happy all the time and helped me with everything I had questions on. Tuk tuk drivers they employed were cool. Awesome value for money. Really good milkshakes. Good wifi, good rooms. Only issue I would have would be the bathroom. It had a bit of mildew and it wasn't as clean as it could have been. But, it really doesn't take away from anything. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo